Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absenses

Options
  • 26-11-2022 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭

Do you have teachers who seem to be out all the time and how do management and staff react? We have 3. Secondary

Post edited by spurious on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

What do you mean react? People may have illnesses - both physical and mental, children who get sick / being bullied at work / dealing with poor behaviour etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The Real President Trump

My supposed maths teacher was out of school for 6 years excluding four weeks at the start of fifth year. Either on maternity leave or sick leave. As an adult I found out every single parent was angry beyond belief and the principle wanted to fire her too.

In 5th year her maternity leave had run out, the principle had told her she was required to come in, I suppose you'd call it toxic female behaviour now but she broke out into hysterics in the staff room, started fake crying as it was described and then ran out

Cried off on stress leave for the following two years, then more maternity leave, then more sick leave, then there was rumblings of constructive dismissal, eventually she was put on some sort of sick scheme and never went back.

She only taught for a total of 4 years I think

A lot of what you write is heresay. Were you in the staffroom when the breakdown happened? Did your own parents and the group of disgruntled parents make a complaint? How did you know that the Principal wanted to fire her?

Women are entitled to have as many children as they want. How do you know there were no problems with a birth, a child with a disability, cot death etc. You do not have the right to know such information. It seems like your teacher was probably working in a toxic environment where she got no support from staff and less from her students. As an adult you should realize that life isn't always fair and some people have great challenges so maybe you should think of that when thinking of your naths teacher and also consider how the student body treated this woman. Let those without sin, cast the first stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭amacca

I'd like to add that in my experience what was described in the post is extremely rare and Id assume its not the norm (thats if it is fully accurate and not embellished imaginings).....I never personally encountered it in any school and met one man in his late fifties in outside life that was on the "sick scheme" ....he had a heart condition of some sort that left him breathless a lot of the time.

She never turned up to work that was the entire problem

Not hearsay that we never had her, possibly hearsay that another parent a teacher in another school complained, not hearsay that letters explaining her absence started to come home

All the children were strong and healthy

I had other teachers who were pregnant while they taught, they put in more effort to make sure we didn't loose out

It was her, she was entitled or lazy or toxic

• Advertisement

Aye it was only her that took the piss like that. Another teacher had an alcohol problem and that was dealt with sharpish

For balance any of the other teachers that became pregnant would be teaching us off our face to make sure we didn't loose out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Or maybe had a high risk pregnancy, or a pregnancy that sparked serious medical issues like High blood pressure,hyperemisis, gestational diabetes to name just a few possibilities......? Not every woman sails through pregnancy.

Put better than I put it. I think the poster wants a return to the days where a woman once married was to give up her job and look after the kids.

Well the idea that a letter from school management explaining a teachers absence, shows toxicity. There are people in many industries who cannot turn up to work for a multitude of reasons. It is not the business of parents or students - you don't need to know why a doctor doesn't turn up to work, a vet, a nurse, a shop assistant whatever the case may be.

There are people in all industries not suited to their work.

From my reading of your description, this teacher was bullied.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,487 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

That would seem a unique perspective considering the poster is complaining about the fact she didn’t turn up for work. The thread title is also not gender specific, you are seeing something which isn’t there.

• Advertisement

That poster mentioned maternity leave so that is gender specific unless a male has managed to have a baby. She may not have turned up for a mulitude or reasons which males and females can experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,487 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Don’t think the issue was her absence during maternity leave, you just locked onto that part, it was the fact she didn’t come back to work afterwards/didn’t attend school for 6 yrs that apparently was the op’s issue.

When a scene like the poster describes happens in front of a group in a staff room, there is no code of omertà, word gets around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Treppen

These days your days are pretty much numbered once you're out for a certain cumulative period with a lookback too. So that teacher above would be cut to half pay first then further reductions and so on.

Either way Then the issue the poster has is essentially about getting a sub as opposed to blaming someone who hadn't been there for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

When I was on a school board, I remember one other parent complaining to me about the workshy teacher who had been absent for weeks.

The parent didn’t know that the teacher, a young mum of two small kids, was going through treatment for a cancerous tumour in her brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Deeec

Teachers get sick and have to deal with lifes problems that they need to take time off for - thats understandable and reasonable. The issue I have speaking as a parent is the lack of communication from schools. Often us parents are left wondering whats going on and dont know what is happening week to week. Now I know confidentiality has to be upheld but it would be helpful if parents were given basic information like Ms/Mr XYZ will be off for 6 months or whatever - its none of our business what the reason for the absence is. Its unsettling for kids also when their teacher disappears and they are left wondering when their teacher is going to be back.

Sickness is like a piece of string though - it would be impossible for a teacher to know how long they will be off. Another problem teachers deal with is occupational health (Medmark) who may not allow you back to work. I'd also say in today's world, if a school issued a note as above - it would be an infringement of everything - you name it - GDPR, confidentiality etc. Management are as much in the dark as everyone else. It's not ideal but hopefully subs can be found and students are taught - that's the main thing.

Didn't happen and she had 6 kids in the end. Just a lazy, inept woman

She didn't turn up to work for 5 feckin years in row absolutely no way anyone could have given her a hard time

She was toxic for her students and co-workers before we even used the word toxic. I was good at maths and did well despite but she was toxic to all the students she never cared bout and the integrity of the education system and compassion of the school

Only an imbecile would have 6 high risk pregnancies, are you saying she's an imbecile

How is it the pregnancies were timed to maximise her holidays ?

But the real question is why are ye taking offence to this, why aren't ye able to criticise such exploitative and toxic behaviour. This is a thread about absences after all

• Advertisement

So she had 6 kids in 5 years?

Right. You know a hell of a lot about a teacher who never taught you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

How could she be toxic to students if she was never there according to yourself? Same for her colleagues. This also may sound like a wild concept, but women are allowed to go on maternity leave.

I had a conversation with my leaving cert class a few years ago, as they were complaining that one of their teachers was going on maternity leave and it was 'unfair'. I asked them when they thought she should have the baby and go on leave and they said 'next year'. To which I replied 'but won't that be unfair on next year's leaving cert class?' So then I asked them if she should be allowed have babies and they said yes, to which I replied, there is no 'right time' to have babies, it's part of life and as long as there are female teachers, there will be teachers on maternity leave at some point in their lives.

Given that the vast majority of women have on average two children now, it's actually a very small portion of their career as a whole. People need to get over themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sexist trolling nonsense being brought in here by non-teachers, away with you.

Thread being closed.

People get sick. Some of those people who get sick are teachers, some of them are women.

Students 'think' they know all sorts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement