Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Sonya4u

Great to hear, thanks a million! Can't wait now😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We have done fly and hire the last few times to France but its looking very excessive for car hire next summer, flights are way up on the last few trips too.

What do people do when the ferry arrives on eg a Tuesday and most campsites are only allowing bookings from Saturday - Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Regarding the car hire, have you tried local car hire companies?. I saved a fortune this July by doing this. Instead of paying over €1000 for 10 days car hire from the airport I paid €250 in transfers and then €300 for a smaller hire car from a local company (Car go)

Thanks

We tend to do 2/3 weeks at different campsites so will need a car from start to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Friends22

Researching campsites for June/July 2023. Have narrowed it down to Le Vieux Port, Sylvamar and Le Ruisseau.

Does anybody have any recommendations/advice on these?

What will the weather be like end June/start July?

Thanks in advance...

• Advertisement

Hi all. Eurocamp have some very attractive prices on some July/August holidays. I wasn’t going to use Eurocamp next time as I could get Lifestyle or DP Continental for a few hundred cheaper and much better mobiles, however the Eurocamp price has now become €900 cheaper than the other two. Only problem is this offer ends at midnight tonight. (Apparently!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Anyone ever stay in Le soleil de la méditerranée?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭webpal

Put in code 23WKT01, might save you a few euros 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

Anyone been to Les Charmettes or Bonne anse plage?

Woukd anyone recommend one over the other?

How was the drive down from Cherbourg? We’ll have a 3 and 8 year old in tow.

Is there a town/village in walking distance of either?

Post edited by Bez Bing on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Has anyone used Club Class on WB Yeats and was it worth the extra?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The lounge is OK -- free soft drinks, tea & coffee etc,and crackers, pastries, rolls, cold cuts, cheese etc, and plenty of seating. Makes it good for kids in that regard, although it also means there's often a load of them running around, so not always quiet.

Not sure the cabin is actually different from the regular ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 idontknowdoyou

Yes we did and felt it was absolutely worth as the price is per room and not pp - there was 5 of us. Don't think the clubclass cabins are any different.

Hi all. When do people think is the best time to book flights? ((Aer Lingus) I have Eurocamp booked for August ‘23 but the flights are about €250 more expensive (family of 5 to Nice) now than when I booked for this years holiday in January. Should I bite the bullet and book now or hold out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Peckham

I wouldn't expect flights to get cheaper, certainly not for travel in August.

We travelled in August 2022. Booked at Christmas 2021, and monitored prices regularly after that to see if I made the right decision. They didn't get any cheaper.

On a related note, should we expect any Black Friday deals by Eurocamp or others?

I'd expect that holiday bookings have slowed down over the past few months due to the cost of living situation, so wondering will companies do something to generate business

And one appeared this morning! Discounts not particularly tempting, for my August dates anyway. Also a limited selection of sites (although includes St Avit Loisirs in Dordogne which was excellent when we were there in 2019).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Baybay

Anyone have an opinion on the BF Salamanca? Or maybe it’s too early yet. We’ve booked on it for a trip to France early in the new year & typically thought I’d ask for thoughts after having done so!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

anyone go start of june? I presume further south the better?

We went to Ile de Ré for the first 10 days of June a few years ago. Rained solidly for 8 of the 10 days. I'd never travel to the West Coast so early again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

We went to the Dordogne last year at the end of May. Temps were about 25deg. Pre-covid we went near Perpignan the same time and it was about the same temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Ah they're always cheaper though. I just did a price check there and return end of July/Aug with window cabin is €1149 with Stena and €1995 with Irish Ferries.

Stena up €100 from last year and looking at our bookings up a €100 on the year before as well.

They have definitely gone up in price but so have other ferries. No question IF is much more well appointed though.

We tend to use Stena as we like to go out on a Thursday as we are driving a long way usually, and like a stop on route on the way down. So going out on Thursday still enables us to be easily at a campsite for Saturday.

• Advertisement

rained in Landes for a few days last year at the end of June too. Then scorchio.

can be hit and miss

From what dates would people usually go to campsites in Brittany? We're looking at somewhere near Quimper for early July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭yiddo59

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

Hello all, thinking of heading to France next year for the first time in years. Regulars to Spain and Spanish island sinces so bit of a shake up. Based in Galway so thinking maybe the Cork-Roscoff ferry? What is it like? Are Irish Ferries superior and are Brittney Ferries ok? Used to love the Royan region years ago, but wondering with hot dry summers upon us in Europe recently, how hot it is there in early July. Also what would the weather be like in the Vendee region as an alternative? Have a major soft spot for the Royan region unless it's massively changed or campsites there are poor. Stayed in Les Charmettes twice years ago.

The Brittany Ferries ships that go from Cork Pont Aven (Saturdays) and Armorique (Wednesdays) are both big bright modern ferries and though older than the Irish Ferries WB Yeats (Pont Aven 15 years older and Armorique 10 years older) are excellent. Just one point which may or may not be a consideration for is that there is no table service restaurant on Armorique. Its self service only.

Haven't been as far south as Royan in many years so I'll others answer that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

Thanks v much for the info, what is the weather like further north in early July? It’s so long since I’ve been.

At this stage without the kids we're early June or late August travellers so others may be better able to advise.

Stena Line have confirmed that Stena Vision will be the second ship on the Rosslare-Cherbourg route from next year. Stena will have 6 round trips per week on the route.

https://www.stenaline.com/media/stories/stena-line-expands-its-ireland-france-ferry-service/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

from the press release it has " space for 1,300 passengers and with 485 passenger cabins"

Thats a massive upgrade in passenger capacity from the Horizon which is let down by a lack of cabins at busy times .

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Doug Stamper

Camping Sandaya have a Black Friday 30% off offer expiring today if you want to book direct with them. They have some impressive sites on their books.

Use code: SD123BF

(Does not include peak times after 7th July - end of August)

https://www.sandaya.co.uk/

• Advertisement

if that was announced 4 days ago I'd have booked Stena and not Brittany ferries

Advertisement