Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - Team and Match Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

De Bruyne with 2 back-to-back ineffective games. Not my best midfielder in the world.

Deserved win for Morocco. They are tough to break down and wouldn't be an easy opponent. Great chance to qualify for them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Beaten by Morocco and outplayed by Canada, what a world cup Belgium are having.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Fair fecks to Morocco, fans and players in tears of joy That is what it is all about, no fluke either. And the Moroccan fans must be in the running for fans of the tournament?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I was thinking of the Japan v Costa Rica. Japan got caught out by complacency and making a load of changes. Like what Italy did in Euro 96 v the Czech Republic and underestimated the Czech team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Delighted Belgium lost, they absolutely deserved zero from the Canada game as well. A team of spoofers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Only once has a team lost their opening WC game, but then went on to win WC.

Spain 2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

.... led by another spoofer.

Plenty of talented players there, but too of the likes of Hazard and Witsel and even Lukaku who seem happy enough to take the big paycheck without putting in the hard yards off the field.

Bobby Martinez is lucky to be in a well paid job like that, not an elite level coach, would he get a top Championship job at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Martinez could be next Irish manager at this rate because no one else would take him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Witsel has some amount of caps for a fella with a 'meh' career.

De Bruyne has every right to be frustrated though with Hazard looking like he couldn't care less, and a coach completely out of his depth.

Belgium could have attracted an out of work big name at any stage over the last few years and won a tournament.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't put Lukaku in that list. Didn't always work for him in the Premier League but he went looking for a club where he could start any time it didn't.

He ain't happy to sit on benches like Hazard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

De Bruyne doesnt deliver when the chips are down.

Always goes awol for Belgium and City in the Champions league.

He is grossly overatted.

Peter Collins has gotten even worse as a presenter. Talk about an awkward sign off after the Moroccan match. Informed us Mick Meagan died - sad passing. Then really awkwardly tried to shoehorn it in again at the end when signing off.

After summarising the previous match and throwing in the Meagan news again, with loads of ems and really awkward pauses. Really poor presenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I don't agree. After half a decade of hearing about the Belgian golden generation, how many playing today are regularly playing champions league?

Courtouis yeah, but he made two massive boo-boos today (one goal scratched off), two ageing, former great centre-backs, Hazard is not worth talking about and Bishuyai has had more clubs than Tiger Woods.

I'd cut a frustrated figure if I was him too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

What a start for Canada. Great cross, great header. 1-0. 1 minute and 5 seconds on the clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Go Canada go

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Exactly what the game needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Martin Keown just referred to them as "USA":-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Damien360

Can’t see Canada holding out. Very poor passing out of the back line.

• Advertisement

Beautiful move from Croatia. Just offside.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Nicely taken goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Damien360

Finally. Well deserved

That's been coming. Croatia have responded well.

Probably a just about deserved equaliser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Brilliant finish - didn't he also score the disallowed goal in the corner with his right foot a few minutes ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

After Canada took the lead they sat back and invited Croatia on to them. It'll be interesting to see what shape the game will take now

A Canada, what have ye done?

Another fine goal, their passing has been very good,

Croatia turn it around. Nice finish by Livaja.

Great start by Canada but they're getting outplayed now, Croatia have really upped the ante. Would still like them to get a point out of this though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Canada's captain needs to come off if they are to have any hope. I think he's 39? Absolutely no legs left and Croatia are strolling past him in midfield.

Gvardiol has done well.

Nearly 3-1. Lovely move by Modric.

That's Canada gone.

That's probably the end of this match and Canada. 3-1.

Kramaric with a nice finish. Another lovely goal from Croatia. I've been impressed by them.

A football team can win without 'legs' apparently! 😁

Majer makes it 4. Pleased for him. Unselfish by Orsic.

Good performance by Croatia, particularly impressed by Gvardiol, Modric and Kovacic.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

There's a stat out there(can't find it) but KDB has won 75% MOTM awards in games he's played for City in the champions leauge since he joined.

Wouldn't pay much notice to that. He got one after the Canada game as well and this is what he said:

Spain vs Germany should be a good game. Germany need a response after the poor opener. I'll go for 2-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

This Spain side are a joy to watch, a breath of fresh air from their teams over the last 8 years or so. They have all the control of those teams, but now there's a proper willingness to attack as well. The monotonous recycling of possession has been coached out by Enrique it seems.

Never thought I'd find myself supporting them in a tournament again, especially after 2018, but I'd be quite happy for them to go all the way here.

• Advertisement

Messi and Ronaldo used get every Ballin D'or even when other players had better seasons. A lot of star power and cult of personality in these awards.

I don't think De Bruyne is a big game chocker by the way just saying MotM is shte.

What a miss by Torres, lucky the flag went up so it wouldn't have counted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Didnt think there was a CB slower than Harry F'in Maguire but then there's Niklas Sule.

I don't think Germany deserve that goal.

And they don't, it's ruled out for offside.

VAR really kills all the fun doesn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Let off I wonder will this wake up spain who have relaxed too much

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It was given so quickly I say the ref knew and the linesperson. I am not liking the linesperson not flagging offside when it is obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Only saw it it real time but didn’t think Rudiger looked off…..was it obvious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Good game, German attitude is right for once.

Advertisement