Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knife Murders - London

Options
  • 27-11-2022 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

Another two 16 years old stabbed to death in South London yesterday, 121 people were murdered in London last year , mostly with knives , 30 were teenage boys.

Seems to be glorified in Rap & Drill music in UK, are we heading the same way in Dublin / Ireland ? , with Knife fights on Bridges near the IFSC between youths and Blanchardstown having knifes been drawn on a regular basis in teenage rows .

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Oh, come on. Music is just music. London and Dublin have significantly lower crime rates than many US cities.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Yeah you're right, they should do nothing about it until crime rates exceed rates in US cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Not sure what relevance US crime rates have to the OP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't see what music has to do with stabbings.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Rap music has tended to glamorize "thug life" and make it seem like something to aspire towards so impressionable youngsters think it's OK to knife people i guess. is the point being made.Also it's seems a regular occurrence of rappers in US and UK get murdered almost never seems to happen with country music or folk acts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Nothing to do with music more to do with toxic masculinity and drugs crime,the only reason they are using knives is they can't redidly access firearms,And they are cheap.when police try to get involved certain individuals cry racism

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

It might not directly, but a lot of the Drill scene would tend to glamourise or glorify some aspects of that lifestyle (and I say this as someone who would listen to drill music on occasion).

I personally think it's a vicious cycle in a way, lads will carry knives so they don't get caught out by some other group carrying them. It's sad to see as I don't think there's any real way of stopping this bar some sort of cultural reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I thought “ toxic masculinity “ can only apply to “ straight white males “ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Blanch?

What?

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Plenty according to the Met Police.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en/article/bvnp8v/met-police-youtube-drill-music-removal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Who cares? These killings are gang related, so they end up killing each other. Happens in any city. Let them have some fun

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But there has been knife crime well before drill music involving these gangs and if drill music disappeared altogether there would still be these gang on gang stabbings

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Spent a few years in London in the 90s , had a great time , totally different place these days with black gangs controlling many areas I used frequent like Tottenham and Edmonton which I had the misfortune of visiting earlier this year . Don’t tend to bother older people like myself during the day light hours but your ripe to be mugged at nighttime if you veer off the Main Street . During the day it’s mostly gang on gang attacks if one of them goes into the others area ( postcode ) it results in a knifing as punishment which often leads to deaths . They seem to have a language of their own which revolves around inflicting violence on others . This forms a big part of rap music in London .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

No one is attributing the crime wave to racism or ethnic tensions. I think the question is to what extent is this crime concentrated in certain groups and if it is overrepresented in certain groups, is is music to blame, social services, immigration or random factors. From what I understand, based on old data, about half of the killings are being committed by about 10% of the population. I don't blame music. I don't know the cause but as far as I can see the reason, it is that the reason crime is concentrated in poorer communities is due to lower development. A lot of people wont call that process development, they might use terms like social mobility or progress but it is better called development. From my cursory knowledge, it seems to be a slow process and isnt fast enough to keep up with immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Yes London is a great city, plenty employment for whoever wants it but I'm not talking about law abiding citizens, I'm talking about drug dealers, criminal's and the idle youths mostly from poorer areas, a lot of the poorer areas in London or indeed many other cities aren't known for their work ethic trying instead to make easy money through crime and drugs, all gang related but kids from the more affluent educated and working parts of the capital aren't known for killing each other with knifes.

So yes, racial divides where affluent areas are predominantly white (although not as much as years ago) where crime isn't as prevalent and instead concentrated in less well off areas with higher rates of black, Muslim, and also white scumbags all fighting over drugs and organised crime and hidden of course from the better areas where everyone lives a utopian lifestyle side by side and crime isn't a thing except when ordering your 100 baggy off your local dealer for a night out in Chelsea

I agree, whether 15 or 35 they're mostly scum who want easy money without working for it, nothing of any importance is lost when they kill each other

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I live in Hackney and it's a mix of races and private and social housing, even some posh people. It's a great place to live. A baggy is more like 60 quid and it's usually from Albanians not black kids.

I actually think they do the social housing thing really well here, it just seems to be everywhere, even in the more posh areas like Chelsea and St John's Wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I don’t know if they crave east money. I think it’s usually just the most viable option since they most likely won’t make it in life anyway. Either way they end up killing each other so it makes no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Whereabouts in London does this tend to happen? I spend a fair amount of time there with work. It always feels pretty safe to me. Having said that, I usually stay pretty central or in West London, so may be oblivious to the entire thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

for me it is anyway, best place in the world, i'll be sad to leave next year

This is the outcome of policies that seek to defund the police and police departments. We don't need to defund.

We need to invest in law enforcement and bring in unpopular policies to ensure that our streets are as safe as they possibly can be.

Having more police, armed, roaming the streets would be a start. This applies to Dublin as much as London, by the way.

As for London they need to re-introduce stop and search, regardless of whether a minority of vocal activists oppose it.

The UK government stats explain the nature of the problem:

Despite making up only 13% of London’s total population, black Londoners account for 45% of London’s knife murder victims, 61% of knife murder perpetrators and 53% of knife crime perpetrators.

If London - and by extension, other cities - don't act now, this problem will only get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

London has always had social dysfunction. Get in your DeLorean and go to the East End of the 50s and tell me what you see. In days of yore, Irish navvies and their offspring would have been the focus of the pearl-clutching.

Good, because we're looking to identify causes and to promote solutions to this problem.

Harking back to the Irish in the 50s does not a cause nor a solution make.

It's called whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sure, it's not like London is Honduras, and when it is, it will still be grand, we'll just say it was always like that.

All ahead of us lads.

"because we're looking to identify causes and to promote solutions to this problem."

Are we?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Mayor of London and the Met Commissioner aren't looking for your WhatApp contact for solutions to anything.

• Advertisement

The current Mayor of London is an absolute disaster. The crime statistics bear that out; he's part of the reason why this very thread was created.

I wouldn't want the chap to contact me.

The sooner he's gone, the better for London.

Advertisement