Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - Team and Match Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I see RTE are showing England-Wales Tuesday night. Shame, I think USA-Iran is the more interesting game, since England are basically through and Wales all but eliminated.

In fairness people from the UK are our biggest immigrant group. Same as most English pubs with TVs would show our game over a US game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Darragh obviously wasn't watching Joanne's half-time show 😬😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

With Stephanie Roche on punditry would you blame him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

USA-Iran probably on the Player or the news channel ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Why would you mess around like that at the back? You're asking for trouble and Spain nearly paid the price for it. Boot it up the field next time.

There we go. 1-0 Spain. Don't see VAR intervening. Good goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Lovely finish from Morata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ronnie Whelan is a new level of awfulness tonight from his usual sourness I'm fairly sure every single word out of his mouth has been negative. Everything is poor, a mistake, should do better etc.

• Advertisement

What a chance for Musiala. Simon did well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How did he not play it across for a tap in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I wish there was an option to switch off commentary. Watching RTE but BBC would usually be worse.

Darragh Moloney talking about himself and other RTE employees and how many World Cups he’s been to etc. Shut up FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

Spain have no shortage of top keepers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is that not a peno for handball?

If they give that, it's time to give up watching football.

Germany score !

Belter of a finish from Füllkrug. What a season he's having.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

We’ve seen them given week-in-week-out in the Prem in fairness

I question the timing of that Spanish substitution. Balde(2nd cap) hadn't a clue, didn't get a chance to settle in. Probably on the field 20 seconds and Germany score down Balde's side.

• Advertisement

great tackle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

England must be sick at missing out on him, then again he's too good a footballer for GS to play,he's definitely stood out in both German games

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Don't know why he didn't shoot instead of trying to go around the keeper

The referee blowing up early. Must have German relations and/or friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Damien360

Brilliant game.

Enjoyed that game. Two quality sides. Musiala had some great moments, and Germany look a different outfit with Sane involved. I'd like to see Morata start for Spain from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

As expected,the game of the tournament so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It's been the best quality clash so far, agreed. And yes, Musiala is unreal, no fear.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Definitely a place on the England bench for that musiala lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

More confident now of Germany winning the tournament than I was at the start. Coming along under the radar nicely!

I got 20 quid on them even though I didn't really think they could do it. I still don't. But they showed a bit of character tonight. And they're still in with a chip and a chair.

It's all about attitude really. With todays attitude they would have won the Japan game no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Can someone tell RTE that Germany are not out if this happens

"A group that's end for a thrilling final day. Germany need a win on Thursday combined with Spain beating Japan if they are to go through."

This group could well come down to goals scored.

I thought at the start they'd grow into the tournament, which they are now, and that game will bring them on hugely. Their confidence, team unity and workmanlike approach is back, which was lacking under Lowe for several tournaments. Had that been a knock-out game, Germany had them beat all ends up.

It's a marathon, not a sprint, and like Italy in tournament football, Germany grow into it. What both do best is go under the radar and turn over flaky favourites, which is what this tournament is full of...Brazil, Spain, Argentina, France etc. Would you really back against Germany turning them over in a battle of attrition in extra time when it really matters?

Germany have been better than their one point suggests and have been a tad unlucky so far, but they'll continue to improve, coming in unfancied. This is what Germany do best, just watch the grinding unfold!

All you say is true*. And I wish I could believe it.

*except maybe France being flaky, they look some quality

Germany, like Italy, carry something that is priceless. A winners belief and mentality no other team carries. Brazil of course often win as they were so far ahead quality wise at times, but when they aren't, their confidence looks shot.

Germany and Italy have a culture of winning and it's ingrained in the national psyche. How many times have they been up against it and outplayed, but were the team still standing? History doesn't lie. These two teams carry a belief passed on for generations, that they'll win. Doesn't always happen, but more often than not they will win.

The German squad deep down really believe they can win it, like Italy at the Euros, and are quietly confident. I look at the other teams and I don't think they can say the same, I see doubt and hope in most, don't genuinely carry that winners mentality and steadfast confidence.

Make no mistake, when it really matters Germany will be in the mix. Not even Brazil can match them in consistency at the world cup. This is what Germany do, again and again!

• Advertisement

I see huge doubt in both Brazil and Argentina. This Brazil team complete spoofers in particular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I actually think that this Brazil team looks pretty strong. Perhaps they are at their weakest in defence, but they have their choice of great keepers. From midfield on they are more than a match for anyone.

The fact that they have real quality off the bench as well could swing games late on. I had them down to face Argentina in a semi-final, wholly dependent upon both winning their groups. They are definitely a last 4 pick, and possibly better, for me.

Richarlison, who selection was mocked, will score again against Switzerland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

How is Busquets still getting a game for Spain, the mans legs went around 3 years ago.

He will be exposed badly against a fast attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

In fairness, people have been saying that about Busquets for years.

Positioning always beats pace, and Busquets is the embodiment of that.

This sums him up to perfection:

Also a backer of germany and this results puts them in a good position to be on the better side of the draw obviously world cup knokouts arent easy but there route to the final if the can get out of the group is preferable.

A surprise japan win does still put them out of course (barring a massive germany victory) but looking much better then it did this yesterday at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Positioning beats pace up to a point.

He has been caught very badly out of position for Barcelona over the last few seasons and he doesn't even bother to try and get back.

Its obviously not as noticeable in a side like Spain who dominate possession and try to pass teams to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Reminds of Brian Kerr's 'endorsement' of Glenn Whelan: "He sort of fills a space"...

I always thought his job was to get away with fouling people but also roll around like a baby at the slightest touch to himself.

Serbia should be 2-0 up, missed a couple of great chances. Instead they're 1-0 behind from a silly corner they needlessly conceded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

What is the name of the Cameroon fella in the RTE studio? Joey something? He was very good anyway going through the team.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Serbia level. 1-1. Deft header from a free kick placed in the upper left hand corner.

Pavlovian response to that ball into the box from big lad Pavlovic

And there's the lead

Within a minute or two, Serbia now lead 2-1. Too easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I'm just a grumpy old man, but the subs getting so involved in the celebrations of every single goal is annoying me.

Last minute winner.... yup I get it, equalizer in the first half.... feck that

Edit... did the ref book one of them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement