Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

I am sure most will find plenty of additional loop holes to pay no tax in their home country.

But either way the system is just rigged against anyone who isn’t a REIT in the rental market. These REIT need high rents (more profit) for the model to work, all fine when economy is working fine. Will be interesting to see how it plays out when it ain’t. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,382 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's between them and the tax authorities in their own countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I would be fearful if things go south then the government will step in and stop these REITs bleeding and buy some housing stock for top dollar instead of letting them collapse and buying them for a hell of alot cheaper in bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

As long as people can come here claiming international asyluM under the pre text of seeking a better life we can never build enough houses. Specially when they are free. Huge arrears in council houses too. None of this ever gets mentioned.

I think you are confusing the meaning of "pretext".

• Advertisement

I agree. But just find it funny how the Irish government are screwing over other EU countries with legal loopholes to help them dodge tax. At the same time allowing it to happen to its own citizens in the pretence of these REIT being the answer to Irish housing problem.

I would get the popcorn out as that is what will happen if FG is in power when it happens. Again that is assuming we have money to buy them, considering we are spending every corporation tax we taken in as they come in. With nothing put aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

People get wet dreams about REITs collapsing. How will that happen. While there may be outliers most REITs are owned by pension funds. They are not leveraged. It's pension fund money.

These property funds are dispersed they have properties in Spain, Germany, the US, South Africa and probably in Timbuktu as well. There is usually a mixture of commercial and residential. If it goes up in one place it goes down in another the yield mostly decides the value.

Properties like these usually move between funds and high net worth individuals. The Fireman's pension fund in New York, Toronto or Timbuktu will not be selling these units in ones or two's ( actually Irish law nearly precludes this at present) they will sell them as one lot probably mixed in with other properties to the teachers pension fund of Marakesh or a private fund.

Do not worry you will not be getting you grubby hands on one

Slava Ukrainii

If pensions funds were not leveraged then why were they getting margin calls in England a couple of weeks ago.

My understanding is that is mostly on the bonds market. The problem was in the UK and is mostly to do with Brexit and Truss's budget.

It was not over borrowing as such it was gauarantees they have to/fir hedges that were guaranteed by longterm UK bonds they held. There was a movement of 0.3% on longterm UK government bonds biggest movement in 50 years and the highest rate in 20 years.

And because of the risk of there collapse the bank of England moved in to save the day......not the Irish government imagine that.

But even if it lead to a sell off these properties would move to another fund or investment vehicle.

SherryFitz would not be selling them one by one

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

All properties->21/11/22 to 27/11/22

All Dublin

30 Price changes

22 Decreases

08 Increases

Rest of Ireland

68 Price changes

50 Decreases

18 Increases

Yes because the were highly leveraged on derivatives that betted on the long term bond yeilds.

Sell to an investment vehicle or government agency that had the ability to bulk buy hundreds at a time.

But it was the bond fund section was going toes up not necessarily the property fund.

Government's would not be fast enough to react to such a day generally anyway so it would be other pension funds, investment funds or a Larry Goodman type character

It would not benefit Joe Soap just like most economic crashes. In the car if a crash borrowing stops and even if investment are sold publically it those with that access to quick funds or cash that benifit not Joe Six-pack

Slava Ukrainii

They wouldn't have to be "leveraged" to receive a collateral call (which I suspect is likely what was at issue). Could just be a legitimate hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Not encouraging for those hoping to see a decrease in prices

Chief economist gives grim outlook on house prices for 2023 (businessplus.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

I didn't see that property and price drop. How many examples do you have of the same?

I am looking at SCD and some of North Wicklow too. I think I spoke with you on here about my theory that the first thing to drop, if anything does drop, will be places like Rocky Valley and Eagle Valley. I thought these places were overpriced in 2020! But 83 Eagle Valley sold in the last quarter, it went pretty fast, is smaller than your example and the list price was 1.4. Until it appears on the price register I can't tell you it went for full price.

The biggest price drop I have seen is 106 Merrion, opposite the British Embassy, which went from 4.4 to 4 flat.

It'll be interesting to see what price and how fast 9 Sillan goes. I know you have an interest in that too.

What I am doing obviously isn't scientific LOL. I am trying to keep as good a list as possible but it is only one level above Anecdotal. The length of time it takes for sales prices to come through doesn't help. But I am definitely seeing sub 7 figs flying and various properties, into 7 figs, in good locals in SCD going fast too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭test account 123

I looked at a 2nd hand property at the weekend in a midlands estate. Newly listed property. 3 doors down there is an absolutely identical house that went sale agreed on Friday. Both houses are currently vacant so from pics online and my viewing I know they are carbon copies. The one that just sold listed at 175K and the newly listed I viewed is at 185K.

Learned from a reliable source the sale agreed went for between 175 and 185. However my seller won't entertain anything under 185. Very hard to know what to do in a situation like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭fliball123

Put a lowball offer of 165 in and tell the EA to come back to you if there is any movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

My monitoring has gone a lot less frequent than it would have been before we bought so I’d say you are definitely watching a bigger sample than me. I wouldn’t watch SCD or Eniskerry much, if at all these days. Surprised that Eagle Valley one went quickly at that asking.

I have a Daft filter on for over €800k in Greystones and Delgany which I pop into from time to time.

Id say when we were buying you’d rarely have seen one up (except the odd long stander) for more than 3-4 weeks. Now there was has been the exact same 19 properties since September or so. No new ones added. Not a single one sale agreed. 3 have had price drops (c10%). Rest unchanged. Not sure how much of that is just the time of year though.

I did the scientific approach for a while but have long stopped maintaining the spreadsheet. Anything that sells fast you can safely assume has gone miles over asking - or certainly that was the case til now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Philosophically I would disagree. The structure of our tax system is that income and gains derived from Irish property are subject to Irish tax irrespective of the location of the investor/owner. This was also maintained in most Irish double taxation agreements (and is also common in many counties - the U.K. was an outlier but brought gains back inside the U.K. tax net in 2015).

Irish REITs were specifically established with an advantageous tax treatment to attract capital into Ireland post the financial crisis. To a great extent the ultimate investors are pension funds and insurance companies (in general tax exempt investors). There will be a review of the taxation of REITs next year and I expect that there will be a tightening of the rules and/or a possible grandfathering of the advantageous REIT treatment. There are probably arguments both ways but it is generally non-sensical to create an exemption route only for investors who acquire through a specific structure (as opposed to foreign investors generally).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Offer 185 if you like the house and tell the EA not a penny more due to the neighbouring house selling for a little less last week....its not a huge difference and I would pay it if I liked the house....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

The ECB is going to raise rates another 0.5-0.75% this month. Meaning by drawdown anyone borrowing will be paying 4%+ per annum on their mortgage. It is crazy that on a 300k mortgage you've gone from paying 6k per annum to 12k+ on interest payments.

I think I've given up on buying now, to be honest. Interest payments are more than what I'd have been paying in a mortgage 6 months ago. With higher interest rates you'd assume that the housing market would drop, but the new 4x will allow for anyone on the lower end of a mortgage to buy meaning the base rate of houses will stay steady, but the higher-end prices should probably drop due to exorbitant payments on interest. Anyone buying in the next 6 months will be buying in an already inflated market which is going to be further inflated in January-March by the new ECB lending rate.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

@KateKelly44, I see your thread was closed. Have you thought of looking at jobs in Malta or Luxembourg? You will be fine with speaking English.

Or did you think of building a granny flat, of course ask your parents first?

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yea its not looking good, when rates rise, asset prices tend to fall!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Some people would have maxed out on their loan approvals and with interest rates going up, they may not be able to service their mortgage.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yup, central bank interventions will more than likely have a negative effects on asset markets, including property markets, baring in mind, this is supply side lead inflation, and central banks effectively have little or no tools to deal with this form of inflation, i.e. expect an increase in defaults, non-performing loans etc, and potentially......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

See Chris De Burgh had to reduce his asking price. Definitely a price drop.

In all seriousness though Ive notice that detached houses in decent areas dont seem to have any problems shifting at all. I have notice a few semis dropping in price. Apartments seem to be holding their own too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If rates go up further the CBI change to 4x salary will be borderline irrelevant, banks won't be approving those amounts due to other tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭byrne249

Crest of the Wave Bundoran. Asking 350k. Price went up on the register this month. 650k!

In Shock. I was in the house a few times, fantastic view of the ocean. Nothing else special about it. Owner made 400k over what he paid. 100k for each year of ownership.

From other anecdotes I am starting to think there is no softening happening at all. Probably a huge amount of cash still out there waiting for Spring and the right type of house. Will take a long time to reign in all the funny money from the last decade. Ringing around and the good houses are all going above asking still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

As a person who bought a house in 2008, trust me nobody knows where the market will go. I still remember bidding and loosing a house in March of 2008 and it ended up going sale agreed 40K over asking price. Just merely months later the market just went tits up and the sale of that house didn't go through. I just ended up buying something else later in the year with no active bids on.

People forget that bidding on houses isn't new, and actually got crazy towards the end of 2007. Looking back we were supposed to have plenty of houses too, but that is only retrospectively looking at it years later.

I am personally on the camp that houses prices won't crash, but neither will it continue to go up in crazy way that some people expect it do. But on the off chance it does go up, the fall will be even painful for a lot of people.

Remember western economy is built on the premise of boom and bust cycle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement