Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW iX

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I had just about gotten used to it in the i4 but the iX is a no go!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭UhOh

I might be one of the few who doesn’t mind how the iX looks. I think it looks better ‘in the flesh’ then it does in pictures/videos. The interior is fantastic though, and the seats are so comfortable - it’s a lovely place to be.

I thought I had mentioned it in here but I don’t see my post, anyway, apparently only 5 of the M60 iX variants will be available in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I was charging beside an iX 40 a few weeks ago and man is it impressive in person. It was an AC charger so the person plugged in and left (correct) so I was able to have a nosey around.

I sat in one in duffys last month and was impressed. I just don’t know if I could live with that front though.

Big bus but I don’t know. Just can’t warm to it. In fairness though, I drove a Leaf for 2 years so maybe I’m blind 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Might well have been mine as I've only seen 1 other on the road! I got one back in February, haven't been on Boards since they fucked it up, but it's the iX 40, and I traded in my i3 120ah for it.

I absolutely detest SUVs, but we have two wee ones now, so we needed something bigger for a while, and it was between this and an ID.4, but that didn't really knock our socks off the way the iX did.

I'm okay with the styling, I've grown to really like it in fact (even before I considered buying), but maybe coming from an i3 you learn to appreciate quirky design.

Styling aside though, what a wonderful car to drive! Just absolutely perfectly balanced, and very decent range for what it is (though I'd probably have gone for an iX 50 with the larger range if it wasn't a 1+ year wait). The technology is what makes it worth the quirky styling too, a really great suite of automations that help with driving and passenger comfort without being too over-the-top like (imo) a Tesla (sorry!).

Hard to compare a lot of the driving characteristics because I've been driving various Minis and an i3 for years now, and you can't really do much better in terms of turning circles and acceleration than an i3, but it was still quite the adjustment getting used to the iX's turning circle!

Sadly, it's currently at the dealer because of a TCU failure which meant the GPS tracker and other remote functions weren't working. One of the annoyances of being an early adopter of a model is that they've none of the parts, and none of the experience dealing with the car yet.

Some other annoyances are that even though the car has front and rear facing cameras, there's no Drive Recorder app like there was on the demo iX I borrowed, which had the side cameras. Doesn't really make sense to me, I'd even pay a wee bit extra for the Recorder app instead of having to install a dashcam.

We'll probably shift to a full electric 3-series, whenever that comes around, but I'm sure I'll enjoy a few years with this iX first.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

Congrats on the car, its a beast of a machine! I have a TCB failure on my 530E also, still waiting on the part for 5 weeks from Conlans, they have a backlog of over 20 at the moment, they said it's a weirdly common issue with some of the modern BMW's apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Agreed.^^What electric driving range do you get from a full charge? Very classy machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

What sort of range are you getting? I’m tempted by a 40, worried about the range though, it the 30k gap to a 50 is quite a leap.

I was at Rathfarnham Dealz on a weekend so if so that's a lovely machine you have!

I'd be concerned about range on the 40 but all the reviews seem to say it's thirsty around town but the GOM doesnt drop on the motorway like other EVs. What do you get from a full charge?

I haven't really had too much of a chance to give it a full range test yet, sadly, because we only did one long-distance trip up to the North and back. And unfortunately because the car's TCU was already on the fritz for that journey, I don't have the exact history in the app.

What I remember is that we (two onboard) left Dun Laoghaire on the morning of 18th March (a cold morning around 5 degrees but not windy) with 100% range, stopped at Applegreen Castlebellingham and took on 8.360 kWh in 10m16s. Then we arrived to the Ulster Transport Museum with 56% charge remaining. That's a 190km journey and I had the auto cruise control set to 120km/h for the vast majority of the trip, so we weren't doing turtle mode.

By my math, I would have had 44% charge left without stopping at the Applegreen, so we're probably talking about getting around 350km range total.

I can definitely confirm though that the city range is a good bit less efficient, the school run was really making me wonder if I'd get any better range than our old i3. But once out on the motorway, it seems to be in its element.

We were due to travel to Donegal for the Easter week, but who knows whether I'll have the thing back by then (service guy said 2 weeks for the part, but I'm skeptical based on reports here and elsewhere). I'm stuck with a diesel 5 series at the minute, and I detest how close to the ground it is (so does my back).

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, I spotted another iX in Cornelscourt this morning (a lady with her two kids and a nanny onboard, so probably not a Boards.ie reader) in dark grey with the gold trim.

ALSO when I arrived to the Transport Museum on that aforementioned trip, I plugged in right beside a Northern iX, which was the only other non-demo one I'd seen at that point, which was pretty funny.

Just wanted to update: still no replacement part for the TCU. 2 months waiting now, with a courtesy car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sorry to hear about your troubles MJohnston, not what you'd expect buying a €100k or so car. What courtesy car did you get, an iX?

Nope! I don't think they have any available to give - I got an M5 via Enterprise. Asked for any other SUV type thing instead though because we've 2 kids and the M5 just doesn't work for that, so we got a Skoda Kodiaq. By god I want my iX back.

Any idea why they can’t get the replacement part?

I’ve been thinking about an iX, but this is kind of worrying.

Hope you get sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

Anyone with the iX40 comment on how they are getting on with it?

I'm interested to hear thoughts on real world travelling experiences and charging. I'm considering the iX 40 M Sport but I'm wondering if the range is too low.

Appreciate your comments,

Mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

I would be interested to hear about this also, please..

What is the real world range for city driving and motorway?

What is the waiting time like these days?

with IX3 priced at €82K, wouldn't it make sense to get IX40 M Sport for €84K ?

I've had my iX40 back for months now, so I can give a decent sense of this, especially as a former i3 owner too.

Drove back from Bangor to Dublin yesterday, started at 88% charge, and got to Castlebellingham Applegreen with 46% charge. This was driving with the automatic driving assist on, which matches the speed limit (usually +10% because it's the motorway....) and isn't slow by any means. According to the app, this was a 116km segment, which used 29 kWh (24.9 kWh/100k).

Charged up to 92% at that stop, then drove the next 83km back home, at a bit of a higher speed on the motorway (shhh), and arrived with 62% charge left.

For me, you can do all the math there if you want to, but as someone driving this route regularly with a couple of kids and luggage onboard, this car is at a range level where I don't need to stress about charging at all on longer journeys. I'd have made it home without any charging, with some to spare. I get a bit more anxious about making sure to get a good charge when heading up to Bangor because the public charging network in the North is pitifully bad, but when you're within Ireland, you really don't need to worry much.

As for city driving, well it's almost a delight to drive this thing in traffic. You stick the auto assist on, and you can pretty much just tune out the traffic and relax, because it'll do the driving for you (aside from traffic lights, sadly!). I would drive the kids to and from school most days, which is about a 5km journey, and the usage is at about 29.1 kWh/100km, and would be even higher if I didn't floor it when I get onto the one bit of dual carriageway that's on the trip.

Anyway, during the week, if I've got it fully charged on Sunday, I probably won't need to charge it again until the following weekend, and only then in case we head out somewhere further at the weekend.

ix3 vs base iX is similar to pricing a top end X3 vs a base spec X5.

• Advertisement

@MJohnston - Thank you for the insight. I called a BMW garage today. If i place an order today, I'll get it in 2024!

They had one in stock, Blue, M Sport Edition, few extras for €102K but they have take deposit over the weekend.

Try a different dealer. I was offered a slot for Dec build with March delivery. Don't know if it was true as I didn't place the order.

Yikes! Yeah, the one I got was an ex-demo model with barely 100 km on it. It had pretty much the config I wanted, save for the full Drive Recorder system (although I remain unsure as to why this isn't just an option you can activate at any time, considering the car definitely has front and rear facing cameras), so I went for it. Glad I did before the clamour really kicked in and the prices started going up!

Beautiful machine, how have you found it overall? Are you happy with the drive and quality?

Doesn't the blue colour looks matt on the bmw.ie although it metallic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I was looking at i4 on configurator earlier and there was portimao blue metallic and frozen portimao blue metallic. That one there looks like the frozen one....which is dearer by the way.

• Advertisement

Not a fan of portimao blue, it's a bit common.

IX Blue is called Phytonic Blue. After that its just Black Saphire or Sophisto Grey.

I like the white 😀

The quality and drive are both incredible, easily the most comfortable, premium car I've ever driven. I could maybe do with the air suspension of the iX50, but more for extreme comfort than anything else.

When you combine the quality and quiet of the cabin, the smoothness of the drive, and the L2 automation, you can sometimes forget you're even driving a car.

The frozen portimao blue is my new favorite color, following from estoril blue.

However I asked and it wasnt available on the iX. That was one of the reasons I bought a model X instead.

• Advertisement

The grille stands out more on white but it kind of blends in on the darker colour specially black

The grille completely fades from your mind the longer you have it to be honest. I really love the front profile, I think the rear feels a little bit too panel-heavy.

I agree, I think it grows on you. What is that recorder option called?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Dasein

the ix 40 doesn't have air as standard?

wow - the X5 has it standard - I'm surprised

It's not even an option for the 40, as far as I know!

Happy to report I've joined the iX family.

The 212 iX I got has the laser lights, think the lights on my G20 were better. The comfort windscreen may have something to do with it, I'm not sure yet 🤔

What a machine 🤩

BMW cost cutting unfortunately.

You have to buy higher spec car to try get the premium feeling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Carlo11

Hi all, I've had an iX 40 since September. It has a really high spec, lots of tech and is a nice car to drive. It's black with a gold stripe and so, depending on one's opinion, looks nice. I came off an X5 45e and, despite the compliments, I'm really disappointed I did. I don't think it's as nice as the X5 and neither is it as good a drive. Its seats are like armchairs, but they don't have the thigh supports, doesn't have side supports and, inexplicably, doesn't have seat memory function. (First-world problems, I appreciate.)

It's quick off the mark to about 70/80KMH but then levels off and isn't as quick getting to a higher speed. The main reason for my regret in trading up (arguable if it's an upgrade) is the range. Even though 413 KMs is quoted, I typically get around 310 off a full charge. For driving the 15 KM into work and home each day it's perfect. However, I drove to Tipp a few weeks back, in cruise-control at 120 KMH (127 KM one way) and despite setting off with 310 KM range, I had to pull into Fermoy on the return leg to charge as I had range of 29 KM and 31 KM to go. I needed to wait at a slow charger for 20-30 mins to get 3 additional KMs to have enough to get home. I appreciate I probably need to get used to using the charging network but in my opinion it's not developed enough. I need to bring my dad to Limerick for an appointment soon. Cork-Tipp-Limerick-Tipp-Cork and the worry of this 500KM round trip and needing to charge somewhere but making it into the appointment etc is frustrating. I investogated a number of roundtrips prior to buying it and with 400 KM felt I was able to do most of them. Due to my experience, however, I don't think I can rely on it.

Our other car is a 4 series and so for long family trips we wanted to have a larger, more family friendly car. Having this +e100K car simply for city driving is a decision I regret. I appreciate that in the summer, I'll probably get closer to quoted range or at least 350-360KMs but that's still not enough e.g. for a trip to Dublin. I like the car but unless I get better used to the charging network (or more, faster chargers are available) I'll be going back to the 45e.

I realise this is a pretty confused opinion but I'm torn between liking it for its undoubted good points and not being able to rely on its range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Quite typical EV experience I would say. I'm changing a bit between my Cupra Born and fathers Audi etron as he isn't using it and my missus loves robbing my Cupra Born. Both claimed 400ish range but in the 300s in reality and I took the cupra on a 120kmh motorway spin Dublin to Cork last week and it wasn't going to give me 300kms. You could drop the speed to 100kms per hour and notice big difference in range, yes I know its a shame to have to do that in a 100k euro car but that's the reality of it in winter. I did a Dublin to Belfast trip at slower speeds and a slightly warmer day and calculated range nearer to 400kms.

Despite me using an etron from time to time now(and I like it, although probably for the plush Audi interior rather than being an SUV) I actually hope EVs are the death knell for SUVs, the battery in the etron is 50% larger than the cupra and only offers about same range. When bmw and audi offer EV versions of a6 avant (which I'm keeping a very close eye on) and a 5 series touring I hope they replace the SUVs. Put those big 90/100kw batteries in an estate car with better dynamics and range will prosper.

The iX is a weird one on me but my opinion is that it’s not suited for people that like driving. The X5 45e was and still is a stunning jeep to drive. My mate has a 2021 one and I really like it.

Unfortunately going from a 45e to an iX is not something I’d recommend!

With regards to efficiency, not many match Tesla currently but that should change over time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Why not go back to x5 phev?

the iX is in demand so you won’t lose much in depreciation.

there is a lci refresh coming for the x5 April of next year where it gets the same dashboard screens as the iX and the 45e is becoming the 50e with power now at 480bhp so it’ll be a rocket.

We thought the 30e was good, which it was, then the 40e was a good step up, the 45e was a giant leap, but the 50e sounds incredible!

all the while, bmw are putting in bigger batteries with decent range too.

Wasn't impressed with the B&W audio system using Tidal via android auto. I put some audio files on a USB and compared them to Tidal. The audio files on the usb were miles ahead. The compression via android auto destroys the enjoyment.

I'm waiting for a look at the 50e myself.

I was going to run with an iX40, looking at the Mercedes Eqe also. And have a notion that the i5 series when its launched might be a decent machine. But I do fancy an SUV body.

Reading lots about the lowish range of the iX40, 280km in winter, 400 max in summer, and the 50 is out of budget for me and I think 32k is too big of a step up for most, considering the extra range, suspension and steering benefits.

The 45e / upcoming 50e would work for us - currently have a 211 530e, and the 20-30km battery range suffices for most days for my wife's commute. If we upgrade to an X5, the range will double approximately. 65% of mileage to date is pure electric so it would probably head towards 80% on an X5.

Like @Carlo11 , I feel we should go all electric and do the 'right thing' - living in Donegal though, its not as simple as that, with trips to Limerick, Celbridge, Dundrum , Maynooth and home, I think the convenience of a hybrid would be worth having, while still getting away with 80% electric driving in a year. And a 6 cylinder petrol X5 is a nice way to travel, its a super smooth engine.

I was passing through Ballindine a few weeks back and noticed a queue of a Tesla, ID3 and an iPace all waiting for the chargers. Myself and my wife were only in the mood to get home to Donegal after a family funeral in Galway. Its times like that I wouldn't fancy having to wait and sit while keeping a beady eye on a charger to free up. I have a Zappi at home, and PV, and I know that most days, typically we might be a perfect use case otherwise, but I still cant get past the queue on a wet dark windy night when you just want to be moving, when it counts and when you need to be on your way home as fast as possible. .

I'm torn. maybe one last, almost 500 bhp hybrid X5 wouldn't be a bad thing?

Post edited by AidenL on

The BMW hybrids are absolutely fantastic, likewise there are times when it is very convenient to have a 2 litre engine on standby (was critical in a recent emergency dash to have the petrol engine)

Your post sums up my situation as well. I started my research with Telsla MY but few posters advised that comparing F10 quality with MY is comparing apple and orange. Then i started looking at IX3. There isn't a huge price differential between IX and IX3 which led me looking at IX. The range is putting me off and because of that I'm also trying to decide X5 and IX. My daily trip home-office-home is 30KM. Once a week it can be 200KM round trip. is X5 very thirsty when you are using 3.0L petrol?

I'm also thinking about i5 or A6 e-Tron but i also fancy SUV now (never had one). If I go for IX now and sell it to get X5 50e, i5 or A6 e Tron, perhaps I won't lose much due to its demand.

No comparison, they can not be compared. BMW wins all the time.

Oh no, Cold this morning and the car is showing 100% charge with a range of 298Km. 🧐

bbari I wouldn't do that ...... ok I would

• Advertisement

You don't have seat memory? My iX 40 does, I didn't think it was an option, but I guess it could have been.

Advertisement