Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I would be surprised if we see Lowe. He took part in the warmup on Saturday. He appeared to be limping quite badly at the end of the game though, when he was walking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

By that logic my 10 month old nephew is now 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We’re not mates, we’re not even half way through this season and he only played half of last season. So he’s not even racked up 1 full season of rugby yet. Claiming a guy has had issues for 2 seasons when he hasn’t even completed 1 season should be called out for what it is. You can hide behind technicalities all you like, but you were being massively hyperbolic and we all know it.

About as good a performance as you could hope for after a month of no rugby. A sloppy enough game which was partially our own doing.

Its truly a privilege I hope I can never take for granted that I can consider a 40-5 win as "sloppy" or even "underwhelming"

One thing that surprised me was our tackle height. Leinster have been on of most disciplined teams regarding tackle height but last night we saw multiple players going in very upright and were pinged for 4(?) and lucky not to get away with a few more.

Several standouts for me. But I must start with Kelleher. Sheehan has rightly been lauded for a stellar 6 months but Ronan displayed signs of the genuine world class ability he also has. I do not know how you pick between these fellas but their battle over the coming years will be a sight to behold. Kelleher made 17 (SEVENTEEN!!) tackles while on the pitch (55 mins) that is super human stats for a front row. What's not seen from the stats is the nature of the tackles. His technique and strength are so good he positively empties the biggest and most powerful players on the gainline. I'd wager over half of those tackles were impact or effective.

Big Joe is a frustrating one at times. It's abundantly clear that athletes of his ability do not come around all that often and his positives far outweigh the negatives. Nevertheless there are penalties that just do not need to be conceded. He's a player that obviously thrives on the edge. I have no doubt he will come good but it still is maddening to see some momentum sapping penalties conceded. To give him credit, the place to iron these out is AIL and lower league games which he essentially bypassed as he's clearly ready for this level. I have no doubt he will learn.

Each time I see Jamie Osborne play he convinces me a little bit more that he's not just an excellent player - he's a generational player. The first try was made by an otherworldly good pass that would technically be graded as "poor". Glasgow do a pretty good job of disrupting this but Leinsters skills made it so that they managed to dot down where as 90% of the time it wouldn't happen.

Osborne holds really good depth and Byrne gives him a pass he has to check to catch (the pass was necessary as a Glasgow player made a good read and almost intercepted - Ross really threaded the needle here). Osborne has the ball for less than a second, checks his run, takes one step and launches an astonishingly good catch pass under the circumstances. Firing a 20m catch pass like that is not something any player can do. Yes it doesn't go to hand but the fact he gets good pace and a spin on it means the bounce was always going to be kind and DK has a nice run in to finish. Just supremely good skill, execution, confidence, the lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

What??? Tell me more!

Your talking Beauden and Jordie levels here yes....yes?

• Advertisement

He is also a cousin to former Leinster & Munster scrum half Rowan Osborne, who unfortunately had to retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Andrew should feature for irish 20s this season on the wing.

Cian Healy is still learning! Mad for a dumb penalty when you need it least.

I think McCarthy will be fine. PO'C will sort him out. He gave away a few pens on the Emerging Ireland side but the Irish coaches must also like what they see. It's good to see a young lock having a wild streak. Ireland need more of them.

'Better to be looking at it than looking for it'

They aren't usually though the kind of "wild streak" penalties you'd put down to over-exuberance, most commonly it's sloppiness like slow to get off the ground on the wrong side of the ruck, obstructing the opposition scrum half etc.

But, yeah, there is nothing at all that isn't fixable. He's a serious athlete, and has a nice amount of niggle and physicality to his game.

Yes I know that and as the other poster rightly pointed out, they almost look like lazy penalties.

He has that fire and the power to be a mainstay for Leinster and hopefully Ireland. I would hope that the coaches encourage that edge he has. EVERY rugby team needs at least one of them in their pack.

• Advertisement

McCarthy getting a bench slot against Australia is telling as to how highly he is rated and how much the coaches are looking to fast track his development. He's a big lad, has unlikely speed for his size, has a step, good hands and is a very strong tackler. He has impressive body positioning at the breakdown and he's ultra competitive.

He looked every bit an international standard player against Glasgow (most notably to my mind in defence) and the best thing about him is that he is early in his development and has plenty of room to improve. Absolutely a player to get excited about and he'll learn to play inside the line sooner rather than later with the coaching available around him.

Worth underlining again the value of Ross Molony to Leinster. He's started 7/8 games this season, and on each and every one of those starts he's played the full 80. Came off the bench (against Munster) in the game he didn't start. Works out at having played 574 minutes of a possible 640 (90%). Incredible level of endurance and quality of performance in such an attritional position.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

Ooooooow, lads getting emotional on a rugby forum lmao, Hes also had an emerging Ireland tour where he was equally indisciplined.

Hes played 84 minutes this season for Leinster. Ross Molony has played 574 minutes. Joe Mccarthy conceded 3 penalties in 40 minutes Ross Moloney has conceded 6 penalties all season....

He also got 10 minutes off the bench for ireland and immediately conceded a penalty, if pointing out a clear issue with indiscipline gets you triggered then maybe discussion forums arent a safe enough space for you petal.

I agree i think the niggle and aggression he has in his game is excelent and something most locks in this country struggle with, but ye hes gotta iron out the clearly biggest issue in his game and thats unforced penalties

Hmm I wonder what the difference between Moloney and McCarthy could possibly be?? I’m sure if you rack your brains really hard, you might figure it out.

Great to hear Kelleher played well. It is incredible that Leinster can pick between him and Sheehan (who was THE breakthrough player of the year in world rugby. By a mile)

Personally I would be in favour of just alternating the amount of times they start. The best hooker duo in world rugby. Or am I just getting carried away?

Liking the Osbourne 'Generational' talent comment! Are you talking O'Driscoll generational? Or more Ringrose generational?

He appears to me to be a very different player from those two. As you say his catch-pass under pressure looks excellent and I think his passing in general is better than the lads. I also think he has a better kicking game. That left foot looks very useful.

Biggest question marks are his defense and what he will be like in those big games. O'Driscoll & Ringrose were/are elite in those.

I see him more of a Henry Slade type player. Ringrose is only turning 28 in January, Osborne is going to struggle to get those big games to really help develop as a 13 with him around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

This weekend was sloppy but, a good run out. Winning by 35! Insane! Agree with the Molony comments, he's sensational. Watching it back, I was impressed with Penny's tackling technique. He goes in low and kills momentum. Milne had a good cameo. McKee too. Cosgrave is looking very tidy. Russell will be signed, he's quality. Osborne is really versatile and he is similar to JOB. He's certainly a talent.

Big one this week. Ulster will be coming in very strong. Henderson back and Treadwell will be involved. Should be a cracking match.

Not knocking Kelleher at all but his basics as a hooker were poor to average at best. One definite scrum penalty against him. Also several stray lineouts, an area of his game that has always been a weakness. Even in the warm up he was struggling to nail his darts. Around the pitch both in defense and attack he is phenomenal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Highlight of the day for me, Scott Penny's 3 from 3 throwing at the lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Larmour and Lowe are back in full training and could take part against Ulster this weekend. Harry Byrne, Ronan Kelleher and Ryan Baird are also fine to play. Ngatai and Sexton are doubts, but will be assessed later in the week.

Robbie Henshaw is out until the New Year with a wrist injury. At least it isn't his hamstring as originally feared.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/cullen-issues-injury-update-ahead-of-ulster-clash/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Bahaha, this post is hilarious. Emotional, triggered, petal. You’re ticking all the boxes anyway I’ll give you that.

You may not have noticed it through the frothing but I actually agreed with you that it’s an issue. I just called you out on your hyperbole.

I must admit though, I love the irony. You won’t see it of course, but it’s marvellous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Osbourne needs to find his position.

I've confidence he could break through as an international but he needs to find a position (be it 12/13/15) and get ahead of the incumbents who are all Irish internationals.

O'Connell's comments on McCarthy when with Emerging Ireland.

“But it’s been brilliant to have him in with us. Excellent profile, very curious guy, wants to learn, getting excellent coaching in his province and then comes here and gets to mix with some guys from the other provinces who look at things differently, gets to mix in with John Fogarty and myself and Catty [Mike Catt] and Simon [Easterby] who might have a different view on things as well. 

“As I said, it’s all about broadening his experience and it should improve his instinct."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There are definitely examples of successful internationals who haven't "found their position". Eliot Daly for example comes straight to mind. JOB has gotten a jump ahead for Ireland recently from not being nailed down to one position.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Yeah that's true but they are usually starting for their provinces or clubs which makes a difference.

I guess that's more important than finding a position. Finding a way into the first choice 15 at Leinster.

Yeah, I saw Robbie Henshaw on Saturday night, with his hand in a cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

A 'generational' talent, that's a big statement! Some on here can be quite quick to anoint, he's an exciting prospect no doubt

Yeah that's not true though....

There is a strange perception and narrative that he is poor from touch and its quite untrue. His stats are frequently 85-90% or better. This is on par with his peers. It's quite a rarity for a team to go an entire game without losing a line out.

2 of his throws we scored directly off first phase and a third one was off 3rd phase.

12 mins we lose a throw, out jumped at the front. McCarthy was at full tilt to take it and got pipped because he jumped at 3 rather than 2. Poor call but not on the throw (Kelleher also is first to make the hit slowing down Glasgow on potentially dangerous turnover ball)

35 mins we lose another throw. This one to the very tail with Ruddock actually being lifted on the 15m line. He gets a hand to it and there's literally cms in it. Throw is at fault here but it's a pretty low percentage play in terms of line out throws.

62 mins we retain possession off a sloppy line out. Again we got to the front and jump at 3 rather than 2 and Glasgow out jump us and get a hand to disrupt. Throw was fine and hits Baird at full stretch. Another poor read as it was rather telegraphed (we were also unlucky not to get either a knock on advantage or a pen advantage here as Glasgow either knocked it on in the air or played the arm)

4 scrum pens conceded. First one Byrne got minced. Second one ref said Clarkson folded (although Byrne also got minced again). Third one Clarkson got shoved back a good distance ref again said "folding in". Ostensibly a prop penalty not a hooker. 4th pen is conceded against Clarkson where the ref says Kelleher doesn't "have his brake foot which caused the instability and Clarksons collapse" Which is really clutching at straws frankly. Clarkson sets his feet too far back.

2 scrum pen won. Big strong 8 man drive with Byrne getting the upper hand on this one (with Kelleher claiming he was headbutted for his troubles). Second one was won by Milne causing 18 to hinge.

1 scrum freekick. Instability from front row. Kelleher did get warned about brake foot before reset so possibly a factor.

His yellow was unlucky too tbh. He burst a lung to get in a good Jackal position and 11 comes first through the side and then through our gate to dump Kelleher over the ball which the ref interpreted as cynical play falling over the ball (and we were on a warning)

Lmao if that makes you fell better then by all means lad lol, nothing remotley close to hyperbole maybe you should try having a snickers might calm yourself down a little bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I wouldn't mind seeing the Ringrose/O'Brien centre partnership that worked well for Ireland against the Springboks if Ngatai is unavailable.

Advertisement