Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Mayo club football is a mirror image of its IC. Huge fitness and effort with very little return. The number of scoring chances missed is shocking.

There's 5 or teams in Galway that would win the Mayo championship most years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Dessie shooting through lights out. Paul and Sean playing well. James back on the bench. Good progress for Galway/Moycullen. Hard to believe this is the best Mayo have to offer. Men against boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

Great to hear McLaughlin is back in some form.

That was an excellent performance, doubly so given the enforced changes. Serious all Ireland contenders now with the lads to come back in. Dessie is some player at club level anyway. Kelly's great as per usual. They're a likeable team, hope it pans out for them

Mayo haven't really had a standout club team in a while. Still, I think it's more the Galway championship being good rather than theirs being poor. We like to complain as a fan base and the intercounty team hasn't been up to scratch, mostly anyway until this year but the club championship has been top 3 in the country for the best part of a decade

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Galway club football is good but a Galway team would fear a Roscommon club more than a Mayo one as the Roscommon clubs tend to have a couple of marquee forwards and the Mayo teams don't. We might be top three but for a county which only plays football the standard is way down the pecking order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

That was Corofin like from Moycullen hugely impressive its going to take a top team to topple them.

All the more remarkable was there had a sickness in the camp and were forced to make 6 changes to their starting team and one of their best players Peter Cooke unable to feature at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Great result for Maigh Cuilinn. Hadn't realised they had such a problem with illness/injuries, really excellent display given the circumstances. Connaught title is surely a realistic target now.

Cork hurling home game not listed so would really hope that some sense has prevailed for once and that it's a double header with the Monaghan football game on March 5th. But there's a 3 week gap with no hurling on in February so I assume it'll be fixed for one of those weekends. If it's fixed for Feb 19th for Pearse stadium while the footballers play in Tuam it'll be the most laughable situation yet

Surely more can be done to provide a good experience for fans in dual counties. God knows it's hard enough to follow both teams in championship never mind league. 3 home games could easily have been construed to overlap by the GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭GalwayMark

Absolutely ridiculous telling Galway fans to make a long journey to Wexford when the evenings are still dark in February considering how long it takes to go back and forth between each area, why not give Kilkenny the floodlights match and schedule our game for a Sunday afternoon instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Think that's a typo there's hurling the weekend of Feb 11/12.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Cork at home on the 12th. No double headers so. It could be said that it's just a case of no overlapping home fixtures, but Dublin have conveniently managed to get a double header in, at the national stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭GalwayMark

No I didn't say that just mean to say if they're in our group why don't they play the saturday night game instead of us.

Forgot we're in a separate group to Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

I see Jerome Henry is the referee for the connacht club football final. Serge Blatter would blush with embarrassment , the connacht council are some outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Speaking of referees, Mcdonagh had a shocker yesterday. Very frustrating for both teams. Mcmanus was continuously fouled and no free got.

Whistle/rulebook left at home. Was talking to a Thomas's player yesterday and he said it was one of the most frustrating games he ever played in and they won!! Strange appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Interesting that Shefflin considers the year just gone as 'average'. Good to see really. They didn't win anything. I watched back the semi final against Limerick and whilst Limerick weren't a 100% Galway were very good for large parts. The big problem was failing to Kick on after going a point up after the goal. They waited and waited and Limerick came back. To beat Limerick in Croke Park means really building a lead from a ways out. If its tight going into the last 10mins then Limerick have built up such a wealth of experience that they are almost impossible to catch. If its not Byrnes taking a Johnny Sexton amount of time over a free then it's Gillane chatting with the linesman ..They make you pay when their on top.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

You can't say he did the wrong thing, but if Conor Whelan took a chance in crossing the ball (perhaps blindly) when he took his equalising point late in the match, Brian Concannon and Cathal Mannion were both lurking and it could have a been a key goal at that stage. Cillian McDaid missed John Daly free inside him too when he kicked a late wide in the football final.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I thought this thread would appreciate this from a GAA book - titled ‘The History of the GAA in 100 objects’ By Siobhan Doyle.

Back in 1998 when Padraig Joyce scored a Goal v Kildare in the football final. A publican named Colie K. punched the ceiling when he jumped celebrating. Instead of fixing it he framed it.

I thought it was gas. I never heard that one.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Nice team named for Friday. Good mix of experience, youth and some older heads returning.

• Advertisement

Good win. Anyone here attend?

Ya Dome is some setup. Hard to read a lot into it as Leitrim were so poor. Daniel Flaherty from Salthill was very good. Johnny McGrath has bulked up and was vert tenacious in the tackle. Fitzgerald was good at full back on probably Leitrims best player.

Maher was the pick of the new players for me. Up and down the pitch all night long industrious on the ball breaking tackles going forward.

Ian Burke very sharp and Rob Finnerty was class but they had a lot of room.

Power in goal was a surprise. Made a nice one on one save but was slow to get set up for restarts and a few wayward kicks. O Malley I'm goals was very sharp when he replaced him but Leitrim had given up the ghost at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,261 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Power in goal I see, Conor Gleeson unavailable because he was in action for Dummore today he shipped 4 goals btw

I hope Faherty is fit for the Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭testtech05

Saying he shipped 4 goals doesn't exactly tell the tale of the game. Did you see it?

I didn't think there was one goal he was at fault for it was more down to very poor defending for most of them for me.

Having said that we still do have an issue for the no1 jersey in the county and someone needs to step up and claim it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

Flaherty isn’t even in with the panel . Supposedly of his own accord .Tadgh o malley from micheals Will probaly get a decent run this season .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Galway selection for Saturday v Mayo. Comer,John Daly return and should feature off the bench.

1. Bernard Power (CorofinGAA)

2. Cathal Sweeney (Salthill Knocknacarra GAA Club)

3. Seán Fitzgerald (Bearna)

4. James Foley (Mountbellew Moylough GAA Club)

5. Dylan McHugh (Corofin)

6. Billy Mannion (Mountbellew/Moylough)

7. Daniel O’Flaherty (Salthill/Knocknacarra)

8. John Maher (Salthill/Knocknacarra)

9. Matthew Barrett (Mountbellew/Moylough)

10. Dylan Canney (Corofin)

11. Matthew Tierney - Capt (Oughterard)

12. Johnny Heaney (Killannin)

13. Ian Burke (Corofin)

14. Robert Finnerty (Salthill/Knocknacarra)

15. Barry McHugh (Mountbellew/Moylough)

Subs

16. Tadhg O’Malley (St Michaels GAA Club)

17. Jack Kirrane (Milltown GAA)

18. Eoghan Kelly (Cumann Peile Mhaigh Cuilinn)

19. Paul Kelly (Maigh Cuilinn)

20. James McLaughlin (Maigh Cuilinn)

21. Evan Murphy (Salthill/Knocknacarra)

22. Tomo Culhane (Salthill/Knocknacarra)

23. Damien Comer (Annaghdown)

24. Brian Mannion (Tuam Stars)

25. Nathan Grainger (Claregalway GAA)

26. John Daly (Mountbellew/Moylough)

Peter Cooke being back is the single best piece of news since Cian O'Neill was announced as a coach. Excellent player coming off a superb club campaign at a position of dire need.

It really helps cover a few holes now after the losses of Molloy and Silke (hopefully be back). Have long thought McDaids best eventual position might be as a driving wing back, albiet be hard to move him after being nominated bfor POTY further forward. Potentially Conroy could spend periods in the forwards if being overran in midfield and the likes of Heaney can funnel back.

Our keeper situation doesn't look much better than last year so another ball winner from restarts should be of great help at least

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

We were well beaten around the middle from kickouts I thought...thought Maher was OK though, reminded me a bit of O Domhnaill, you'd wonder why Tierney was left on the whole game, 3 games in 8 days like, Power was fair to middlin in goal, his kickouts mostly found their target when he didn't go long, I just think there's something missing with him, Culhane mad for road looking well, heaney scored a few great points, bit of a leader now Cian spent a long time talking to him at the start of the second half

Thanks for the run down. Missed the match and was only following on what's the scór. Bit of yo-yo type of game.

Wonder will the team change much more before Castlebar? Nearly no harm having the extra week off, but would still have been nice to win!

• Advertisement

It'll change a fair bit I'd say. All the backs were very loose. Billy Mannion perhaps looked the most likely to break onto the team for the league of the newcomers but he was caught badly for a mayo goal. Because we're short a few, he may still be included, or perhaps Sean Fitzgerald. You'll probably see McGrath back in at corner back. O'Flaherty at wing back has shown very well for his age but there's no way he'll be pitched into a D1 game away to Mayo at this stage

Maher might keep his place at midfield but i wouldn't go stronger than that. Of the forwards, id suspect one of Ian Burke or Tomo will start, and otherwise will look a lot like last year.

I'd expect John Daly, McDaid, Conroy, Sean Kelly and Comer all to come back in, possibly joined by one of the other Kelly brothers, possibly Cooke also. Then it'd depend on the availability of Patrick Kelly (not sure his story) and Jack Glynns injury otherwise.

Advertisement