Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

It's linked to the property, each has a unique MPRN or GPRN for gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭luckymusik

Thanks a lot for your reply, it’s appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Exactly. I'd switch to whoever will drop their prices first given that the wholesale rate is down more than 52% from its peak in August, but neither the regulator or the gov are putting them under pressure to do so. The worry is the reduction won't be passed with the excuse given as any new windfall tax.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

While wholesale spot prices have fallen, the bit we don't know is how much future contract prices were purchased at. It is still higher than it was 12 months ago, I doubt any energy company was buying it at spot pricing in August.

I wouldn't say we will see price reduction for a month. At that point it's still another 30 days before the rates change.

Average households will be stung with the next bill coming in at the full rate change from 1 Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭newincity

If I switch my electricity provider, will I get 200 Euro subsidy in the account with the new company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'll get the next two. You won't get the one you've already got again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Best I get is 0.4359 inc vat from energia, 10% discount,

is it worth changing to EI or BG?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Just starting the annual switch investigation... was on 30% Electric Ireland for Dual Fuel.

Am I correct that every plan is now MORE expensive than last years?

This is the first time I'm seeing every result have negative savings compared to my old plan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

Yes. You will be unlikely to get a cheaper or the same unit rate as you are paying now. Your bill will likely increase.

For Electric Ireland Dual 30 the rates last year were:

Electricity unit rate: 16.78c (inc vat)

Standing charge: €208.79

Gas unit rate: 4.45c (inc vat)

Standing charge: €120.43

This year the 14% "bargain" rate is:

Electricity unit rate: 37.21c (inc vat)

Standing charge: €302.92

Gas unit rate: 12.62c (inc vat)

Standing charge: €190.65

That's over double Electricity.. and triple Gas! And that's considered a good rate 😮

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭positron

And they are no longer offering 14% either. Says 10% is the best they can do starting this week. FFS!!

yeah chatting to an agent now who is saying I can still get the 14% only because I was offered it last week... mad. Guess there's hardly any competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭TheRona

Has anyone had experience with closing out an account with electric Ireland? I have a property I used to be in which I've continued paying electricity on until it was sold. I never actually went into a contract with EI, it switched over to them when Panda Power closed.

In any case, I no longer have access to the property, and EI are asking me to take a photo of the final meter reading with a newspaper or receipt to prove the date. I told them it's a smart meter, and I'm happy with whatever reading they take remotely, but they say that can't be used for closing an account? Is there actually any use to a smart meter, except to find ways of charging us more?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

It's for the UK but heard Martin Lewis recently saying that prices are going to rise again in April, fall back slightly 3 months later but still be more than now.

I'm expecting similar here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Thought I'd ask this question here, bear with me...

We were with Flogas when the announcement about the €200 came through (the very first one, not the two in the most recent budget).

We switched provider to Iberdrola on the back of a good offer on our doorstep who assured me the €200 would be applied to our account. Iberdrola promptly f**ked off a week later and we were moved to Electric Ireland automatically.

We then signed up to Energia end-June because the EI rate was outrageous... but that was then rejected because we couldn't leave Electric Ireland until September or some such contract shite. We then finally (and are currently) signed to Bord Gais in September.

Anyway, we got the most recent budget €200 in our account. But I've never seen the first €200... how the hell and who the hell am I to talk to about getting that applied? There's five providers involved in the mess so I don't even know where to begin. Anyone else had a similar mess to deal with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

The supplier you were contracted to on 29 March 2022 is responsible for paying the first credit. See the following extract from the citizen information Web site:

"What if I switched suppliers?

If you switched electricity supplier between 29 March 2022 and 30 June 2022, the supplier you were with on 29 March 2022 is responsible for giving you the credit.

A supplier can apply the credit to your closing bill or credit you back through the same method pay your bills."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I see a report today that the wholesale price continued to fall all through October and is now more than 10% less than it was this time last year, way before Ukraine. The gov need a regulator to regulate the regulator at this stage.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭corkmans1

What number are boardies ringing EI on? I called on 1800372372 and there is aa 50 minute wait.

Currently I am on Tariff ValueReward Electricity -5.5%

-0.3970 per KWH before VAT

-Standing Charge €0.7614 before VAT.

The only other option I see online on bonkers and Switcher is Tariff ValueReward Electricity -10% which brings the units to 35.73.

Any other options to beat this?

Thanks in Advance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Been with EI for over 20 years as was an employee and getting a staff discount.

Changed jobs in the last few months, and now on their standard tariff.

Have a normal house with smart meter installed and a PHEV.

Where would be my best bet for switch for a dual duel offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I just renewed with EI, I was offered 14% again (same as last week) so I just went with it after seeing the posts above about it now being 10%. I checked other providers again over the weekend and this is basically the least worst option for me.

if you had been made a previous offer of 14% they are obliged to keep that offer for you

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭corkmans1

Thanks @con747 got through in less than a minute.

@km79 Best they would do for me was 10 percent so took this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭con747

If anyone else has retention numbers for suppliers post them so people can save them on their mobiles.

Electric Ireland retention 01-9025245

Bord Gais retention 01-5143214

You might not need them now but next time you need to switch you might.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Might be of use to some of you, but the Supervalu money-back vouchers for cash-off your EI bill are back

https://www.electricirelandrewards.ie/Voucher/Redeem_SuperValu

I seem to recall they had stopped this

Particularly handy if you get Supervalu Home Insurance (no need to shop at Supervalu then as you get lots of points to spend by signing up to the insurance)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

I don’t get this, EI just send me an email saying my contract finished and i’ll be paying 380€ more per year from now on but no info on new rate or anything, is this normal? Same email received for gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

@uli84 Have you agreed a rate with the retention team. A few days after receiving a call from the retention team I got an email like below and in that there is a link which shows your new tariff based on the % discount you agreed.

Post edited by amber2 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I meant that I had intended to try to haggle again like I did last week, but seeing as the offer is now 10% to people phoning in I figured I'd be wasting my time trying to get something higher than they offered me and just took the 14%.

Advertisement