Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using a non OpenEir issued OTU possible?

Options
  • 27-11-2022 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

So, there is a lot of talk that Huawei is being kicked out of countries by different governments, etc, and, well, Eir seems to rely on them here for their FTTH connections... My FTTH link has a Huawei OTU. So, the question is, is it possible to use something else? Not that I have an issue with the current OTU from Huawei, but more a question of whether it is possible. I saw a video from someone who replaced their OTU from their ISP somewhere in Asia with an SFP+ module. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD8aq4KSWko). Does anyone know if this would work on the OpenEir network?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

no It won’t work to my knowledge. The serial number on the gpon is needed to activate line from openeir. Can change your modem alright once you know isp details.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭lotas

in the video i linked to, the OTU that the lad was using had the option to clone the MAC, Serial and some other details... So, in theory, if you cloned it, OpenEir wouldn't know any better, right? Already using my own modem, so that's already sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭Glaceon

If you're doing this to avoid Huawei gear then there's not much point. There's Huawei equipment further down the chain too, e.g. the OLT.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭lotas

I don't care if it's Huawei or not, but I would like to get more info about what's going on from the OTU. Some offer better stats, etc, and that's what I would be more interested in...

Advertisement