Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Golf Plans

• 28-11-2022 1:24pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So what do you all do with golf over the winter? Play through the weather? Strength work in the gym? Or clubs in the shed and feet up with the mince pies?

I decided to put a fair bit of effort in this year, as i was unhappy with my play this year. Probably won't play much between now and February, as the weather is shite and my course gets very wet. Plugged balls make me angry. So I booked myself a game improvement package with a pro in Killarney, and had my 1st lesson recently (which was brilliant, with a very detailed video given to me afterwards of what we discussed - something every pro should do). Also ordered myself a net, to keep my swing going through the winter. Really want to hit the ground running next spring, and push on like i wasn't able to do this year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Not going to change up gym routine too much, but I will be working on keeping my swing speed up if not maybe increasing it slightly. 15 mins a day letting it rip with the Driver pretty much

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Zip, last game was the Boards outing in Sept, won't see a golf course till next March or April, plenty to do around the house to build up the Brownie points, golf in wet, muddy, leaf covered courses or temporary greens is not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

I think, generally for serious golfers, Winter is a time to do a serious amount of work on the range. 3-4 months of solid practice (including putting) would definitely help the majority of golfers shave 3-4 strokes off their HC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I play if it’s dry and the course is likely to be reasonably dry too. I hate the soggy ground and winter mats. I don’t have much tolerance for cold wet days either. So mostly I’ll be at the range and taking it easy looking forward to March April time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

A lot of range work. Will get out once a month at least weather dependent. Around this time of year I will usually try have that round be on a links unless we get a good long dry spell. Then outside that maybe the odd competition in my home club here or there if we get a good days weather. Most comps will move to 9 holes now which is great as done in 2 hours.

This is my first winter in my new club and they actually have a short game area so will try get up once a week which I have been doing to keep the touch going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭blue note

Similar to me. I want to be able to play a few times next year, so I'm not asking the wife to give up her Sunday for me to play winter golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

9 holes and don’t take it too seriously, I’ll save that for when it’s not pot luck on conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Never miss winter golf in nearly 40 years. Love it. 9 holes on a Saturday, no time pressure, and if it's a reasonable day, beside the sea on a links course there's nothing better.

In saying that, when I was a kid a few winters on a park land course, on greens and fairways that were then not doused in sand for drainage was tough going. And it always seemed to be colder in land too. But I'd still play.

But the disappointment of the green keeper having to put his foot down and announce "Course Closed ALL DAY due to Frost" are days that are a real downer when ye have been looking forward to it all week pining for it from the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭phelimb

Yep, same for me - probably March before I stand on the 1st tee again. Will hopefully hit the range once a week and do a some chipping in the back garden (weather permitting)/putting on my mat in the dining room (just to get used to my new putter) but that's probably about it for a while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I took up golf for the first time a little over a year ago so I have no real experience in winter practice etc.

I've spent the year trying to get to grips with the basics of the game and tbh I've struggled and hacked it around all year long (as @dan_ep82 can attest to!) 😂

I've started to see some very slight improvements in the past month or so, which is encouraging. So I plan to hopefully try to build on that over the winter. I won't get out to play as often as I'd like but hopefully will spend some time each week at the range. Been losing a heap of shots off the tee all year. If I can get some more consistency with driver and keep it in play more often than not, then I should hopefully see my handicap start to trend downwards a bit next year.

If not, then I might take up snooker or something instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭swededmonkey

I'm as much a fair weather golfer as they come. I don't find playing 9-12 holes looking for balls plugged or under leaves particularly enjoyable. But i'm planning on committing to 2 range sessions per week to keep the swing going. In between that, sticking with the same hypertrophy gym programme and trim a bit off the gut. I've also started doing a daily 15 minute follow along yoga on youtube to try and get my right hip to start rotating properly. This has been a long term problem i need to fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭boccy23

I'm out every Sunday morning for 9. Really enjoyable as there is Zero stress. Also get to do the things I won't do in normal qualifying conditions. Like use an iron off every tee. Chip with a 60° only, chip with a 7-i etc. etc. Easier to do just to get a feeling for what I can take into the new season in Spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Really enjoying winter golf this year (when the course is open). Was never really a fan but injury this year has made me appreciate it a bit more.

The winter league format in our club is fantastic I have to say. 60 teams of four players dividend into 6 groups of 10 teams. 8 rounds and the best 6 count. 4 teams from each group reach the final day.

All different types of scrambles and the odd foursomes/fourball. The scrambles have been just what I needed to get back into it. Really enjoyable. Was always about individual competitions before but something changed there... Getting older maybe.

Has given me the encouragement to do a bit of work during the week as well. The hitting net has been dusted down in the shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭willabur

really no difference between winter and summer in our place. A bit harder to get on the tee-sheet due to less open hours and no midweek golf. Qualifying conditions all year round make a huge difference when it comes to deciding whether to move somewhere else or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭AyeGer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭paulos53

My winter plan is to play most Saturday & Sunday mornings (weather permitting). That has not been the reality and this has been my golfing routine recently

Saturday:

• Woken by alarm at 8am
    • Open email app on my phone
    • Read email from the club saying that the course is closed
    • Back to bed

Sunday:

• Repeat Saturday's routine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭willabur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I haven't swung a club on the course or range for about a month. I usually love a bit of winter golf on the links but very little motivation at the minute and actually enjoyed the sabbatical.

booked in for 9 in the morning and might play once maybe twice more between now and end of December before starting back into some practice in January

Seriously? That would be a deal breaker? I don't see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

What net did you order if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking at getting a net, mat plus Garmin R10 for the winter season. We can still play 13 holes during the winter period but when its wet and cold my interest is fairly low. Also have a 3 month old in the house at the moment so getting out is difficult. Last qualifying round was early September and probably April before i enter a card again.

Winter plan is as above, get a net and mat setup in the back garden and possibly invest in a Garmin R10. Eventually hope to get a decent sim setup with a Skytrak but that requires a shed to go up in the garden which is a while away. Have some space in the current garage which might allow me to hit irons and wedges indoors but have a lot of clearing out to do as well as running it by the better half.

I got fit for a Titleist TSR3 3 wood and Stealth DHY, 3 wood is from Santa so won't get to hit that but hope to bring the Stealth out a few times over the winter to see how it goes though I bought it for summer use mainly. So basically plan is to get a mat, net and maybe the R10. Try the stealth and 3 wood out a few times between now and March. If i can get to the range a few times i'll do that too but plan on taking it relatively easy. Will see where I am this time next year but if I can stay around what I am now in the handicap i'll be happy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭plumber77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭coillcam

Play when weather allows. We've 12 hole comps atm. Other than that only the odd range session. Lack of light means no short game practice.

I've started back at the gym also. No particular program but focusing on standard compound lifts. I'll go 3x times a week. Not expecting massive gains but just aiming to improve general strength/fitness. Will be interesting to see if speed/distance improves in a few months. Not doing speed training fwiw.

Any boardsies got this in mind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Guru 123

On the topic of nets lads, I’ve a high ball speed so have gone through a few nets and often pricey enough ones too. But the one I have now is from a company called McKeever sports and its’s absolutely class. Only a cheap thing (less than €100) and doesn’t look like much but I’ve had it over 6 months now and net is still perfect, like new.

Can’t link now but you’ll get it on their website, easy to put together and just weight it down with a couple of concrete blocks and you’re golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Guru 123

Sorry never opened this link before I posted, this is the one, great product.

Advertisement