Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Well for one thing, the grounds under which someone can ( in their minds ) legitimately apply for asylum are exceptionally wide

Presumably when the Oireachtas votes in favour of new “ hate speech “ legislation, I can’t give you a date but I’m sure you’ll have a bottle of champagne bought in time to celebrate

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Take the eye and come back for the eye lashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Phil McCracken

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

• Advertisement

That’s not a none governmental organisation things it’s the un charter on human rights sign by all governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Is it safe to assume you have or will be accommodating a few Ukrainian citizens in your home?

So other countries in the EU take the same approach as the current Irish government when it comes to those who rock up to immigration at Dublin Airport?

When it comes to policy in the area of asylum seekers ,the government here ( and media) take their cue from various NGO,s , I wasn’t referring to international law making bodies, Left wing NGO,s in Ireland are like Wall st and oil company lobbyists in Washington when it comes to access and influence on the body politic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Looking at the membership of that organisation, anything they have to say on human rights must be taken with a pinch of salt

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Just interested if you have answered the call to help out those in need of protection

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭slay55

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

That first point there is a complete nonsense and not comparing like with like, what was offered Ukrainian refugees went above and beyond what other Eu states were offering, that's a pull factor whether you like to admit it or not , so to address the state of indebtedness of the Irish state the per capita net debt has gone from €31.5k in 2010 to 47.2 in 2022, God only knows what it'll be next year, as it stands this is one of if not the most indebtiness per citizen of any country in the western world, this can simply not keep rising and is unsustainable, debts will be called in eventually and the citizen of course will end up paying no matter how they dress it up, now to Roderics white paper to end direct provision published last year which promised own door accommodation and to be able to take up employment to asylum seekers after six months,it was published in Albanian, Arabic, French, Georgian, Somalia and Urdu, why only these languages?? now if that's not a pull factor I don't know what is considering what other Eu countries were offering, something a little more tied to reality I might add

There needs to be a properly policed immigration system in place to replace the light touch system currently in use to weed out the scammers from the genuine refugee/asylum seekers which can only benefit those genuinely in need or perhaps you're one of those in favour of no borders with no consequences, now I have no wish to get into any exchange with you, there would be nothing to be gained from that, I've seen your contributions and really they would carry as much weight for me as a petarade of mouses farts, whereas on the other hand I've had exchanges here with posters who although holding differing views I've learned something from them and they've made me think, even at coming up to three score years on this earth, so I'll leave you to it, nothing to be gained, life's too short

Actually the first point is very relevant because @ShamNNspace , thats you, said “ absolutely no need to give full welfare to those who are housed”

If there was that much of a “pull factor” why aren’t there a few million refugees in Ireland, it seems you be happier if they stayed in Ukraine and got machine gunned.

Going by what you’ve posted here you’ve been fed a huge pile of misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I wasn't aware Ireland had a NPHET for migrants. A new report by an ‘expert advisory group’, former security council of the European Commission, UN ambassador & a lecturer urges gov to enact emergency powers to build 6 reception centers (750 capacity each), by the end of 2023, conveniently tell them they gave 2,000 hectares of land in the control of the State zoned for residential use. It highlights the potential for ‘friction’ as our attitudes towards asylum seekers and Ukrainians could change if the economy worsens or unemployment rise and of the potential for racial tension and confrontation. “While no far-right political party has emerged”… well after the past week I thought east wall was a stronghold. 

Calling for a massive transfer of funds to local authorities so houses can be bought for 4,500 people, people who’ve received leave-to-remain (after multiple applications), the majority of whom live in direct provision because they ‘cannot find accommodation’, the same with those granted asylum. All of this is presented like we've no say in the matter; that's how it is. Shut up and accept it. The report wants the government to communicate and consult with local people, to explain how those with “leave to remain” are Irish now. The government doesn’t communicate or consult with anyone but the NGOs, look at the situation east wall situation.

“There may be a small minority whose motivation is primarily economic.” …….“Recent figures show an increase in applications from certain ‘safe countries’ which may reflect economic circumstances.”…These people are that out of touch it's aggravating. They say there's a case for expanding Irish policy for economic immigration to these ‘safe countries’ to be included with EEA countries. “This would help to prevent any misuse of the international protection system, and also contribute to easing current skills shortages.”…..No. No, it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Someone in the IT must have seen your comment, because that page is now missing.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Glenomra

In Bunratty and Cratloe this afternoon and noticed both the Bunratty hotel and Zthe Radisson hotel both given over to Ukrainian migrants. Lots of young active adults outside both hotels taking advantage naturally of the fine day. I wondered what tasks the migrants are asked to engage in in both and similar hotels. Do they clean their own rooms, change and clean their laundry, cook and clean up after meals etc. Genuinely wondering. I looked for the answer online but failed to find it.

One offer of accommodation and the State will deem their duty to be done and a Government TD is finally saying that we've reached capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 25,275 ✭✭✭✭zell12

RTE reporting same

Mr Crowe told Clare FM that he felt capacity had not just been reached, but exceeded.

And we want to do more but right now capacity in terms of healthcare, transport, accommodation has not just been reached but exceeded. Asked if he was backing a cap on new arrivals, the Clare TD replied: "Yes, I would think so, and I've said this to colleagues in Government as well."

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

The government should be prioritizing Ukrainian refugees who we know have legitimate cases. I passed the Travelodge Plus in Dublin today (and new hotel in city centre) and was surprised to see it is now home to non-Ukrainians, with numerous young men outside it. That's 400 rooms that can't be used for Ukrainian women+kids, so this situation is now completely unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I'm not surprised at this either. Doherty, who drove down the steps of the Leinster house, can't tell if there are 7 or 9 genders.... so I'm not surprised if she's incapable of knowing the difference between a refugee and an asylum seeker. A part of me thinks they are doing it on purpose. All aligned. Using the Ukrainian conflict as a trojan horse.

https://twitter.com/JRD0000/status/1597660291185377280

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

They are here to stay. Simple as. Temp order's will be extended untill we officially inherit whats left of ukriane. Considering how bad it is and how much we tax payers will be forking over to fix it we can only hope they make some sort of a deal.

In the long term our social system will be put under massive pressure and us tax payers will have to fund all that too.

Our only hope is a general election that elects a party that thinks of Irish people first, EU members second, and everyone else last including Ukrianinans.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Our only hope is a general election that elects a party that thinks of Irish people first, EU members second, and everyone else last including Ukrianinans.

Before it got elected, such a party would initially have to overcome the minor hurdle of not existing...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I dunno TD's really hate getting any kind of hassle. I would say the phones are ringing off the hook in constituency offices. People generally let them away with most stuff. This has just come to a head at this stage. I wager the first thing on knocking on a door is "Are we getting a DP centre or something similar." We have seen the langue changing over time non would say what the senator was saying a few weeks ago. They tried to spin the Dublin Protest that did not work. The wheels are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Tourism is truly ruined for small towns and villages next summer, that is a certain. Terrible to see

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure this is the case in constituency offices across the country. Crowe will start the trend of TDs speaking out.

Advertisement