Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I don't use the onboard GPS so haven't noticed. I'll have a look, though, next time it happens. The only symptoms I have is that I have to wait 30 seconds upon starting the car while it looks for the VW servers and then reports something like "No Online Connection" and the little globe symbol on the right of the infotainment screen has no bars on it. At which point the WeConnect app can no longer receive or send anything from or to the car.

You might get the 58 Kwh they gave me. Notice a big difference in range between the two. Of course, they didn't charge it, made it to Ionity Kill with 7% left, Ionity is a disgrace, the cost is unreal.

Hope they don't give you the 1.0L non turbo polo they gave me the time the headlight got replaced, have to replace the other soon, the moisture in it is unreal.

Have around 46,500 Kms on mine now, how much is on yours ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,026 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Wait until you see the price of the other providers.

Went to Galway at the weekend, stayed in place about 13 kms from Galway City, next morning drove to Kylmore Abbey, back to guest house then into Galway that evening and back to guest house and back home today. Took the Outlander, decided I can't be bothered with chargers or queuing any more or waiting 40-50 mins to charge. Good to clock up some miles on another car for a change. Fitz would love that cushy Outlander suspension but it's a bit of a boat, likes to go straight instead of around bends though.

Got back with quarter of a tank.

We have many years to go before either electric cars charge in suitable times and the charging infrastructure is suitable.

The Missus would have killed me anyway if we went to a fast charger and was broken as has happened before, the network is just crap.

It was definitely nice to do all that driving without having to charge.

price of other providers ?

Not heading in the right direction if it's going to cost anywhere near the cost of diesel for many People with no home charging, I'd do it because fast charging is rare enough but most People with no home charging wouldn't pay for the inconvenience of charging or queuing to charge or those of us with 2 cars at home will take the diesel for convenience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

33000 km on ours. It’s going in this morning.

We are thinking of bringing it to France. Are we mad? the Q5 has done all the family trips up to now but it’s 13 years old and I’d be worried something would go.

I wouldn't do it, as much as I love the T5 I won't even bring it to the South West, West, North West again unless there's a notable difference in charging infrastructure and/or I have a dedicated charge point at the place we stay, add to this the Id range of cars charges far too slowly for modern Electrics but they're not the only ones, I think we're still a decade away from being able to complete long trips especially to France, others will do it and tell you they got on fine but not a hope I would do it, a drive like that is long enough for Children as it is without having to add charging and while one Person might be fine with it all have to be in my opinion or it could be a very long trip of complaining.

a 13 year old Q5 will be fine, I presume it's been properly maintained, I wouldn't get rid of it in a hurry, it's good to have an ICE car for those long trips like we did at the weekend where the infrastructure is a complete and utter joke.

If you have to plan a lot and if you need multiple access cards I just wouldn't be bothered with the hassle compared to bringing the Q5 to any garage and filling up, in and out in 10 mins or less, pay in Euro's, = happy family and less stress. There's no way my missus would let me take the T5 on a trip to France and it wouldn't be fair on the Lads to sit there for so long.

If you are not travelling far beyond the ferry or 1 fast charge then I just might think about it but since we have the Outlander I think for my own sanity I'd just bring that.

We went to Wales a couple of years ago and even if I had the T5 then I still would have brought the Outlander, we drove a lot and up North of Birmingham.

I'd be interested to know how you get on though if you do bring the Tour 😊

Interested to know what loan car they give you too. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 28,026 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

There's already been at least one poster in here who brought their ID3 across France and had no issue. Another few who brought their ID4. All said it was a very straight forward trip.

We Charge card also works for the vast majority of charge point operators in Europe so no need to have loads of charge points.

The UK have a very good charging network now so what you saw a few years ago is probably a far different experience to your time there.

Half the time I think you just create these issues in your own mind so you have something to give out about 😁

That's fine if you're prepared to wait but the ID range charges not much faster than my old 2017 i3.

No, it is extra hassle planning and then waiting to charge and I no longer want to plan my trips around the poxy car. That's old now.

There's also some folk here who are willing to go to extremes to say they had a successful trip, On a long trip like that with the Outlander I'll have A, a lot more range from a tank of diesel, B much faster refill times, C no planning, just pull up to a Petrol station and fill up, D much more space in the boot and most of all a happier Family 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭eagerv

When I was down near London in September I never even thought about charging. Just let the car tell me, via Superchargers. However I used the much cheaper Gridserve which are literally at every motorway services. But I suppose I did have the Tesla SuC to fall back on had the Gridserve been busy or broken.

Coming home via Oxford and Birmingham It was almost confusing with the number of options. The UK is certainly easy now even in a non Tesla.

• Advertisement

I’d say we will still take ID.3 as we have booked accommodation now. If we had decided to bring our own camping gear it would be a different story. I’ve experienced a few bad breakdowns on holiday and the reliability of electric along with low emissions and the driver assist on motorways all go in its favour.

we are going to Dordogne region for a week with two 3 day stints in campsites in Normandy/ Loire valley either side of that. We will have one big big drive of 600 km. I’d say we will sign up to ionity

anyway car has been dropped off and given a 58 kwh ID.3 instead with lower spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I’d say we will sign up to ionity

This is the key to a successful international trip. You need to sign up to the providers that have multiple high-power chargers on site and not using a mish mash of operators with SPOF.

Just signup to the large providers, pay the piper, and plan your normal stops around those charge sessions. It wont delay you, because you need to stop anyway with kids, but you do obviously need to plan it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

Have seen on a facebook uk site, that issues seem to arise when you don't give the car a chance to fully boot prior to engaging D/B mode.

I suppose it makes sense to be a bit more patient before moving off, after all most software doesn't like been rushed , be it Mobile or PC.

I have had the Offline problem a few times, but not on a monthly basis. Pulling Fuse 19 fixed it, but I know it's a pain and shouldn't have to be done.

Hopefully now that I have V3.0 fully installed it may fix the issue.

Well, I'll be looking forward to reading how you get on, my main issue is that charging is far too slow, then add to this cold batteries no preheating in cooler months, that kind of hassle is just not for me, it's old for me now. Extra planning, just isn't what it should be as easy as ICE in 2022 nearly 2023, Just not into it any more really. Suppose People will endure the hassle and I suppose that's fine, each to their own. 😀

It's really irritating paying more money for high power chargers to get no more than 60 Kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What's the issue with the charging speed of the ID cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭eagerv

Perhaps I am an oddity, but most times I am on a longish run I like to stop for at least 30 mins to stretch the legs, get a coffee etc. 60kW does me fine, usually not needing much more than 30kWh. The Supercharging is nearly too fast at times, especially seeing my LFP battery still charges at over 40kW at 90%. Tesla overstaying is rightly expensive, have nearly been caught out more than once. Bit of a pain if you are half way through your gourmetious MackyD..😁

We have charged using public chargers a total of once. Out of curiosity. We will need to stop anyway and for longer than it takes to charge as well.

No you're not odd at all, there's plenty of People who will make charging work, I just expected a lot better by now, much better network and much faster charging cars.

It's shyte slow, my 2017 BMW i3 with 33 Kwh battery could charge at 50 Kw when up to temp for up to 80% charge, the id3 will charge at 60 Kw if you're lucky up until 80%. THis is on a more expensive high power charger too.

Just for you though! 😀

I get 100kW (as advertised by VW) nearly every single time I charge on a HPC. As stated you need to be at a low SoC and battery at 20C+ and then you get max rate. Works fine for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Let us know when you’ve made a determination. Anxious to know if 3.0 fixes it.

That's not good if it's for a short time, the rest of it is slow and ye can't always get to a charger with 10% or less or with a warm enough battery, that's just Mad.

First World problem, still a pain in the ass.

How much charge was in the car when you got it ? they gave it to me with 20% and had 7% by the time I got to Ionity in Kill and got ripped off.

I haven't used public chargers much since I got the T5 but it's a pain in a lot of places with single chargers especially if out of order and you have to go to an AC point or there's a queue.

I think I'd rather be free to go where I want on the Continent without having to plan charging into the Mix.

100% 😳

Ah Jaysus, They probably paid more attention to it after I left them feedback when I got the email survey. I was quite annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rosicky

Where did you get your upgrade and battery replacement out of interest, my dealership told me lack of resources meant they aren’t able to do the upgrade and that perhaps it might occur in January which I found an odd response and the second time they have not sent any coming around updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Your setting a tough bench mark there Mad_Lad, not many know how over engineered the i3 was, battery cooling, heating and chemistry that was better than anything else out there of that time period and still better than many new ev’s on the market today, and a faultless i drive system.

I found I was taking the id3 more in the early days but now the i3 is the go to car, except for early morning and nights when the matrix system turns night into day.

The Id range high speed charge criteria isn’t great but it’s not too bad either, I’ve seen 100kw’s on rare public charging occasions, 135 kw’s possibly for the Tours with the comfort of the big battery softens the blow. The new leaf is still on chademo 🙈, ac42 Zoe’s now defunct..

Your work charging system allows for one of the best set ups imaginable, way more positives than negatives.

Imagine back in 2017 thinking you could have a car that could accept and hold 60kwh of energy, let alone 77…from the early leaf days it seemed we would never get to where we are now, albeit having to shop savvy for Tours knowing the public charging system is still total pants. . .

you don’t have to go down to 10%. Anything around 15-20% will do and it holds decent rate up to 80%.

And it is about to get a rate boost up to 125kW with the update to v3.0 which is already being rolled out in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I got mine done around a month ago, Sheehy's in Carlow Town, they're pretty good to be honest no issues with them, has to go back again for another new headlight due to tonnes of moisture, very expensive out of warranty only 1 more year warranty on things like that. VW are a bit mean with their warranty, nothing new there.

Advertisement