Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

Even if Trump were all of the things stated in that list, it still wouldn't make him a fascist.

Just laughable at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,959 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Brexit didn't come from America though. Nor does 'Irexit' or the Irish national party. Do you consider any of those threats? Brexit was a direct threat to Ireland and the UK's antics around the NIP are a threat to peace in the North (at least.)

I'm sure you can see the irony of your post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

David Cameron not Farage. Even the EU at the time signed off on it not expecting a result of leave.

• Advertisement

Carful apparently we use coded language.... Every word needs to be taken apart and reworked. 🤪

I'm glad you appreciated it. If you want more cogent and critical rebuttals you first have to provide something to work with. Just scoffing at someone else's stronger, much more cogent critical argument with 'bah, gruff, "laughable," etc.' doesn't win you any internet points nor does it constructively refute the arguments already put forth.

Rather than engage the argument you've entirely avoided the argument, and tried to shut it down with a pithy one liner. And you clearly don't like when it happens to you either, as I've clearly demonstrated.

So go on and tell us, why wouldn't Trump be a fascist "Even if Trump were all of the things stated in that list" As you said. Are you able to make that argument no or is it a "laughable" bluff again.

The point was, Brexit originated 'on the right.' Denying such is silly. Sure, Cameron wimped out and called a referendum, but it originated (the threat) on the right. Part and parcel of 'threats from the right.'

Has the UK started arming and attacking it's neighbours that's what the far right tend to do. Or are they trying to get the old house in order. People were asked a simple question. Yes or No. 90% of what happened in the media had nothing to do with that question. So no the far right did not cause it.

They've threated to starve their neighbours (remember Priti Patel?) And as been brought up by Jack at least, it's not 'far right' it's 'on the right.'

Also, remind me, who brought the warships to bear over the fishing disputes during the early days of Brexit? Wasn't that the UK?

So, yeah, the right are attacking, fortunately no shots fired. And for jollies, the ultimate in 'far right', the Unionists in NI, have been burning buses and threatening customs locations.

So again, how is this not originating on the right and a threat?

• Advertisement

IIRC it was French fishermen and their navy that started that episode. Did they not try to blockade a port. How was the UK going to starve anyone they are a net importer of food. So we have moved from Far right now to Right. How right does it have to be past centre ?

But... why was any blockaded needed? Because Brexit. And where did Brexit come from? Far right types (UKIP, ERG, etc.) Remember the starve thing was pointed at us the Irish (so, a threat, due to Brexit, which we agree originated on the far right.)

So, you acknowledge Brexit originated on the right, in my opinion the far right UKIP types, am I correct?

And Brexit's a threat to Ireland. Not just to the EU, of which we are a part too.

No the threat is from a group that did not like a member leaving. Decided to use an article specifically in relation to Ireland without even consulting Ireland. French blocking someone else's port again is not the UKs fault Frances Fishermen started it then got backup from the navy. Next we will be saying Spain p*ssing around Gibraltar is the UK fault. If there was a threat from the UK why have they not put a boarder in Ireland. They can anything they like Customs checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The religious freedom which TFG supporters are interested in, is their religious freedom, not anyone else’s, and anything which threatens that is perceived by them as a threat to their way of life. They aren’t any different in wanting to expand their way of living as the way everyone should live their lives, in the same sense as people who are opposed to their way of life wish to impose their standards on people who undoubtedly do not share their world view. That’s why it’s understandable you’d see their efforts as a threat from your perspective, in the same way as they see your efforts as a threat from their perspective.

I don’t mind admitting I’m biased in that I’d be more inclined towards the former than the latter, and the reason I brought Hillary up is because when @nullzero made the point that the thread didn’t amount to much more than the usual blame games, TMH instead of addressing the point immediately went on the attack suggesting that it was like Republicans asking Biden to meet them half way after they spent four years cheering on Trump for shìtting everyone and everything. I could think of a better example of someone shìtting on everyone who didn’t share their views, and that’s where Hillary came from. You’d expect it from Trump, nobody expected it from Hillary, and even Trumps most ardent critics, and her strongest supporters pointed out that the mask hadn’t just slipped, it had come right off - people had seen her true colours, and they didn’t appreciate what they had witnessed.

The argument being put forward in the opening post points to all the things which TMH feels we should all be concerned about, but we’re all being distracted from the major issues by minor issues which are blown out of all proportion - hence the idea that we’re looking in the wrong direction, because we’re not focusing on all the bad things the right are doing which have led to the issues TMH feels we should all be concerned about. I don’t think the opening post was intended to be limited to US democracy, on an Irish message board, as though the Irish people have adopted US politics? Surely not 😁

It’s one of the problems with the opening post though is that it is written from a fairly US-centric perspective, whereas I don’t live in the US, and the idea that either the right or the left are any great threat in this country is pretty much an online phenomenon influenced by US-centric ideas. In reality, most Irish people appear to be quite satisfied with the life they lead and don’t appear to be concerned about any omnipresent threats to their way of life -

Despite the war in Ukraine and its economic impacts on Ireland, Irish people emerged as the most content of all EU citizens in the 27 member states together with Danes.

The survey showed 97pc said they were happy with the life they lead, compared to the EU average of 85pc. 

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/satisfaction-levels-among-irish-people-over-governments-response-to-ukraine-invasion-among-highest-in-eu-41980142.html

What I’d suggest we actually know is that while there will always exist grifters and wind-up merchants who will take advantage of an opportunity to engender existential threats and anxieties among any given population, their tactics will work on some people, but they won’t work on most people, and that’s why I question the legitimacy of TMH’s claims, knowing that they are of a leftist liberal persuasion whereas I am not, and whether they are willing to accept that people who don’t share their political views aren’t going to see things the same way as they do.

I don’t have to pretend there is any danger coming from the left as a counterpoint to claims that there is any danger coming from the right, but I suppose for edification purposes, it would be things like taking inclusive language to it’s extreme, referring to women as ‘birthing persons’ for example (I mean, if the complaint is that women are regarded as mere birthing vessels, referring to women as ‘birthing persons’ isn’t much better 😂). It’s not a credible threat to society as far as I’m concerned, but for other people? Well… y’know, it’s a matter of perspective -

Again (sigh, last time) where did Brexit originate? Simple enough question.

I think it started around When they changed from EEC. If the threat is from the right why did LAB not promise another referendum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The Irish National Party? Do you mean the National Party?

They had a scuffle in a hotel recently and the thread dedicated to them on this site exploded with hyperbole about how the far right are on the rise once again.

For reference in the last general election the National Party received 4,773 votes (0.2% of total ballots cast) and in the 2021 by elections they received 183 votes (0.7% of total ballots cast).

The facts don't back up the assertions some people are making about the National Party. They're a tiny group of clowns who will never be taken seriously never mind mount a serious campaign to gain power in this country as some people would have you believe.

There has been some concern recently about the far right hijacking protests about refugee centres but those protests are not based in racism and hatred as some people on this site have asserted, it's like saying if a handful of far right activists turn up to a match at Croke Park that the match was actually a fascist rally.

The mental gymnastics people seem intent on performing in this country to will a militant and large scale far right into existence are mind boggling.

Glazers Out!

Really? When EEC became the EU, Brexit started? That seems pretty naieve. And, even then, where did the sentiment originate?

By the time the referendum occurred, the threat was really there. The media had been coopted on the right, the Tories were in thrall to the UKIPpers (another group not afraid of using violence). I agree, Labour should've been more definitely against it - but that doesn't have any bearing on it, by the time Labour could propose another referendum, it had passed.

where did the sentiment originate?

Probably with those that had buyers remorse. I have seen Ukip being attacked plenty of times Not that I follow them but that Farage fella gets a good old soaking walking around. Have we some links to violence caused by the Ukip party ?

Because everyone knows what fascism actually is.

Fascism is a far-right, authoritarian, ultranationalist political ideology and movement characterized by a dictatorial leader, centralized autocracy, militarism, forcible suppression of opposition, belief in a natural social hierarchy, subordination of individual interests for the perceived good of the nation and race, and strong regimentation of society and the economy.

Now whatever you may think of some of Trump's policies, there is no way you can square the circle that he or his governance of the US meets that definition.

It's absurd. It's stretching hyperbole to the absolute extreme.

Everyone can see through these "fascist" smears, everyone except a tiny minority who think they sound believable when they overuse the term to the point where it has become completely meaningless.

It doesn't work anymore. Time to give it up.

And yes, it's laughable. I literally laugh every time it is used in some bizarre context.

It has become a joke; almost a meme. Something to laugh at, not something to be taken seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Could you spell it a bit more slowly? It wasn’t nearly condescending enough 🧐

I’m not trying to say you’re wrong, I’m saying that you’re not doing much more than playing the blame games and dismissing the idea that people who don’t share your perspective, aren’t going to share your world views either. It’s not a question of right or wrong as far as I’m concerned, it’s whether your claims that people are looking in the wrong direction has any legitimacy.

I’m making the point that as far as you’re concerned, people are looking in the wrong direction, according to your perspective. As far as they’re concerned, they’re not, because their concerns simply aren’t the same as yours.

You're failing to engage in good faith. It's transparent. I answered your question directly, and you dismiss it with a pithy one liner. As usual.

My point stands.

I answered your question directly, and you dismiss it with a pithy one liner. As usual.

Surely you see the irony of this post. Given that's exactly what you did to OP. You did nothing to address their argument, did nothing to address my question "directly"

What is "direct" about having to wave off in the other direction to "everyone" when you make your points there? There's nothing direct about the bandwagon fallacy. It's the exact opposite of directness, it is deflection.

Have still not seen you demonstrate (and certainly not directly) a proof that Trump cannot possibly a fascist. You cannot accuse me of not arguing in good faith while you argue using bad faith logical fallacies.

"Your points stand" on sand and wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Vox (notable left leaning source) made the distinction in 2017 that Trump is not a fascist...

How this is still up for debate is mind boggling.

Trump is an a$$hole without a doubt, but he's no fascist.

Glazers Out!

So evidence of people just frantically googling "Trump is not a fascist" and hoping something juicy shows up. From before he was even inaugurated.

I brought up an essay from 2020 written by a boards user, @Carfacemandog, which illustrated how many of the policy's of the Trump WH and attempted policies (attempted in spite of the non-fascist checks and balances on the US govt) demonstrated fascistic behavior.

And then best we have in response are bandwagon fallacy and google-fu of articles written in the opinions column of a place from before he took the oath. And this is all he was just 'talking about weakening some democratic norms' but actually tried a 'fascist revolution' on January 6, 2021.

Laughable!

Oh and Sheri Berman has much, much more recent writing on the topic:

At a minimum, democracy requires free and fair elections and that incumbents leave office willingly if they lose. Trump, of course, rejected the latter requirement, claiming immediately after his electoral loss that the vote was rigged. This claim then became the basis of an attack on the Capitol designed to prevent Congress from certifying the election results. Yet, even after this attack, Trump refused to concede and eight Republican Senators and 139 Republican members of the House objected to the counting of Electoral College votes. Moreover, after some initial hesitation, the Republican Party rationalized or downplayed the seriousness of the January 6 attack and demonized those like Representative Liz Cheney who refused to go along.  

Since then, the Republican Party has continued to peddle lies about the security and fairness of our electoral system. These lies were used to justify sham audits of election results, frivolous lawsuits, and attacks on election officials. Now, a majority of Republican voters not only view Biden’s victory as illegitimate, but also believe that our electoral system is pervaded by fraud. As Lee Miringoff, Director of the Marist College Institute for Public Opinion, notes, “when looking ahead to the 2024 Presidential election, it is remarkable that a bedrock principle of democracy—that losing candidates and their supporters accept the results—is not held by nearly two in three Republicans who say they will question the results if their candidate does not win.” And perhaps not merely “question” those results, since Republicans who falsely believe Democrats cheated during the 2020 election are more likely to say that violence is a legitimate tool for addressing future “stolen” elections. 

But elected Republicans have gone even further, using lies of a stolen election to justify a systematic attack on non-partisan electoral administration and oversight. Several Republican state legislatures have passed laws giving authorities controlled by Republicans—statewide canvassing boards, secretaries of states, or even state legislatures themselves—the power to override election administrators or subvert election results altogether. We now know that some Trump loyalists hoped to overturn the election results by convincing state legislatures to submit alternative slates of Presidential electors to Congress. Had these loyalists been in positions of authority, attempts to overturn the election’s outcome may have succeeded. 

There is no sign that the GOP plans to reverse course. Just last month, the Republican Party characterized the attack on the Capitol and the events that led up to it as “legitimate political discourse” and censured Congressmembers Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger for participating in the House investigation of the attack. This is just the latest sign that, at least for now, those who openly condemn anti-democratic moves by Trump and other Republicans are not welcome in the party. 

Given the state of the GOP, the onus of defending American democracy lies primarily with the Democratic Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

it’s whether your claims that people are looking in the wrong direction has any legitimacy.

Do you think Brexit, the Ukraine war, the Trump experience, the anti-medicine, anti-science message has been good or bad for our various communities?

Because I am saying they have, and that they are the outcome of right wing ideologues. And I've posted evidence of this.

Of course others don't agree, they've been focused on complaining about cancel culture, mixed gender bathrooms, wokisms and other comparatively inconsequential topics. And that is literally the point of the thread. I'm not here to comfort them or bring them around to my way of thinking, I started this thread to point out the fallacy of their focus because I felt it was necessary to do so on Boards because of the shift in tone over recent years.

What you are complaining about me doing, is literally what I started the thread to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

January 3rd 2017 🤣

Neither was Hitler, if you judge him by his actions up to 1932.

In the article above from this March, she's very clear Trump and the GOP are a clear and present danger. QED thread.

• Advertisement

Just on the Antivaxx that's not really a left or right issue. Since moving to Ireland I have seen both sides come out with all kinds of nonsense. I mean in personal contact with people. It seems to attract right and left head the ball types.

Advertisement