Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,944 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I haven't seen any organized left wing political movement as such like I saw for the right wing organization against both vaccines and any and all social covid mitigation. While it is true you will find some antivaxxers dotted about the left, the overwhelming majority of organization and indeed violence over vaccinations and social mandates has been coming from the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I said Ireland. American gun nuts don't count. One person there believes in Covid.

I haven't heard of any organized left wing antivax movement in Ireland either. Can't say the same of the right.

Sure look far right them lot. Problem saying far right vs there are others there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Fascism is a far-right, authoritarian, ultranationalist political ideology and movement characterized by a dictatorial leader, centralized autocracy, militarism, forcible suppression of opposition, belief in a natural social hierarchy, subordination of individual interests for the perceived good of the nation and race, and strong regimentation of society and the economy.

dictatorial leader

Link

Over the past week, President Donald Trump was pretender to a throne that doesn’t exist as he claimed king-like powers over the coronavirus pandemic response and Congress.

Link

President Trump forced governors to flatter him and ask 'nicely' to get vital federal disaster aid

centralized autocracy

Link

The White House Has Erected a Blockade Stopping States and Hospitals From Getting Coronavirus PPE

militarism

Link

forcible suppression of opposition

Link

Ex-President Donald Trump likely broke the law by “corruptly” attempting to obstruct the certification by Congress of President Joe Biden’s Electoral College win on Jan. 6, 2021, a federal judge said in a civil court ruling Monday.

belief in a natural social hierarchy

Link

Mr. Trump said, “Somebody said why did you appoint a rich person to be in charge of the economy? No, it’s true. And … I said: ‘Because that’s the kind of thinking we want.’

“And I love all people, rich or poor. But in those particular positions, I just don’t want a poor person. Does that make sense?”

subordination of individual interests for the perceived good of the nation and race

Link

WASHINGTON— The Trump administration proposed weaker new rules today governing how companies operating oil pipelines prepare for and respond to oil spills. The changes would eliminate or modify several key protections and relieve companies of the responsibility for reporting many oil spills.

strong regimentation of society and the economy

Link

An agitated Trump encourages governors to use aggressive tactics on protesters

That took like 15 minutes or so. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck......

• Advertisement

A couple lefties showing up to a rightwing organized event you say.

It's almost two years ago and nothing like it has happened since.

You know we also haven't elected another president in the 2 years since? 🤡

When would they have had the opportunity to try this again yet?

devolves into an ad hominem mud slinging clown fest.

Which you did yourself in your next line, of course. I hate to tell you null, but if you keep producing the ad hominems, you can't really complain about them being there. "you'll always be a crank in my mind" etc.

I've said nothing about you conversely, so this tact is strange.

Anyone who reads the definition of fascism and then compares it to the links you've put together can see how ridiculous an attempt this is to justify referring to Trump and his administration as fascist.

And I mean ridiculous.

To take just one of many examples, look at the dictatorial link.

That made Trump a dictator?

An actual dictator?

Like Hitler and Mussolini and Stalin?

Come on...this is ridiculous. Actually, as I said before, laughable.

Anyone who reads the definition of fascism and then compares it to the links you've put together can see how ridiculous an attempt this is to justify referring to Trump and his administration as fascist.

No True Scotsman/Bandwagoning more still. "Laughable" bluff/guffawing.

Emotive guff, wordsplitting -- the term was Dictatorial,not as you so colorfully put it, "An actual dictator" which only comes about upon the successful completion of an autocratic takeover, which Trump failed to complete, despite clearly attempting to.

So Trump wasn't a dictator then, and fails to meet the definition of fascist.

Thanks for backing up my point.

• Advertisement

..So let me get this straight: you think there have only been like 12 or so fascist human beings in the world ever, then, ie. Stalin, Mussolini, Hitler, a handful of other people that actually won the rise to power game? Your special goalpost requires the fascist to actually succeed in attaining that dictatorial power, before they have any hope of demonstrating any dictatorial tendencies?

Really?

No paper labels event far right organised. Being anti covid or vax back then made you far right.

Like the notion that January 6th was the beginning of Trump rallying the fascists of America into action?

Who said this? Trump had been the darling of fascist organizations and individuals long before Jan 6th.

And to say nothing like it has happened since, how many Presidential inaugurations have happened since then? What national power transfer do you expect to have been attempted in a similar manner in order for you to accept Trump was influencing people in this manner? Kari Lake is refusing to concede in here election in Arizona, and Trump has called for her to be flat out installed as Governor. There's Nazi's flying campaign flags in various locations around the US. His former security advisor is still giving speeches trying to stir Governors towards declaring civil war. Trump Supporters, just 4 weeks ago spoke to camera saying that if they lost the mid-term elections, they thought it would take a civil war to get their country back.

Just because the fcukers haven't succeeded yet, doesn't hide what it is that they have been moving towards. But you think all of this is in someone's imagination? Any chance you have reality on your block list already?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

American sensationalism and arrogance in plain sight when they use words like fascism.

Not only ridiculous, just plain stupid.

Just because he wasn't successful, it doesn't mean he is hasn't been motivated in a particular manner.

As Overheal said, has there therefore only been a handful of fascists in human history? What about all their supporters? Were they not fascists also?

CTRL+F organised nothing. Were BLM far right when they protested in Dublin at the time during the lockdown ?

CTRL+F organised nothing

I said look at who was, not tell me who wasn't.

Look who was organizing them at the time.

Paper never said that. So no idea. Seems a rag tag band. Love the way the label the traditional left group yellow vests as far right. Unless fighting for workers makes you right.

• Advertisement

Where is your evidence that Trump was motivated to turn the United States into a dictatorial fascist regime?

You mean aside from him currying favour with fascist groups, making an enemy of the media, implementing racist travel bans, threatening to lock up his opponents, wishing violence could be used on protesters, refusing to accept election results, attempting an insurrection, pardoning his friends who have been convicted of crimes associated with his campaign, meeting with antisemites and white nationalists and the fact that fascist groups support him?

Other evidence is it?

I know that there is zero evidence that you will accept that he is fascist minded, I mean, you've argued on this platform that Jan6th wasn't an attempted insurrection. if you were told that Trump was re-writing Mein Kampf, you'd insist he was just practising his hand writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,755 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

“Our various communities” is a very vague definition, especially when you’re only giving me the option of whether the things you mention have been good or bad. Clearly as far as you’re concerned they’ve all been bad, and it stands to reason given your political views that the things which are issues for other people are comparatively inconsequential as far as you’re concerned. I mean, you began your opening post with this absolute cracker -

There are no shortage of real world negative if not outright disastrous and terrifying ongoing situations that demand our attention right now, and it feels like this has been the case for at least a few years, if not all the way back to the financial crash in 08.

Even if I accepted the premise of your argument, there’s no fallacy in the fact that people who don’t share your perspective aren’t going to have the same issues you do. ‘Why would they?’ is what I’m asking you, and you’ve yet to provide an answer to that question. If your intent was never to convince anyone that they’ve been focused on the wrong things, then congratulations, you’ve succeeded in your efforts to achieve absolutely nothing!

Let's take your propagandistic interpretation of Trump at face value, which I shouldn't do, but which I will.

That still wouldn't act as evidence that Trump's desire to become president was motivated to turn the US into a "dictatorial, fascistic regime".

At best, you're complaining about some of his policies, and re-fashioning them as "fascist".

I also think it's ironic that you say Trump was "making an enemy of the media". Earlier you referred to a poster that said dictators "suppress" the media. Trump was literally non-stop talking to the media and taking questions from them!

That's the very opposite of suppression.

Look at China or Russia if you want to talk about what media suppression looks like.

And by the way, Islamic countries that suppress LGBT rights, abortion, and which are dictatorial (look at the Middle East and certain African countries), never get referred to as fascist. Yet they are practicing that which Trump never did. Nobody complained before Trump about these regimes as "fascist". But as soon as Trump says something remotely controversial, out comes the fascist slogan. Ugh, what a joke. Hypocrisy writ large.

Look, you've no serious points. Just the usual slogans and mantras, in the hope that someone is fooled into taking it in.

Everyone reading this thread can see how ridiculous your conclusions are. And I say that as someone who thinks Trump is a total fool.

You're really struggling to understand this aren't you. I don't know are you attempting to gaslight me, or yourself at this point.

‘Why would they?’

Because they are impacted by the outcome of Brexit, climate denial, Russian aggression, capitalist excess etc in the same manner as the rest of us. They just are choosing to own it to own the libs. It's the 'let the world burn, if they could be King of the ashes' mindset type.

That's not what I said. Go back and read a 2nd time if you need to.

I also think it's ironic that you say Trump was "making an enemy of the media". Earlier you referred to a poster that said dictators "suppress" the media. Trump was literally non-stop talking to the media and taking questions from them!

That's the very opposite of suppression.

Link

The president’s call for a Senate investigation into news outlets for publishing unflattering stories about him is an attack on freedom of the press.

Link

Donald Trump’s administration has committed what journalists are describing to be a “mass purge” of press passes allowing career reporters to easily access the White House.

Link

White House bans CNN reporter Jim Acosta after a confrontation with Trump

Anyone who reads this thread, can definitely see what is going on alright. That was, and is the whole point. Thanks for making it so clear.

I don't need to the paper never said who organised anything. 1500 odd in an Irish context is quite the crowed. It looks like the usual left and right cranks that don't like vaccines. I have no idea why pains are being made to suggest the left does not have antivaxxers.

• Advertisement

Talking at the media and calling their questions stupid and to sit down etc. really does nothing to sell us on your absurd fiction that somehow Trump did not vilify the media.

Advertisement