Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Maybe the other way around? One event, different time periods in the lead-up. Supposedly based on true events, so must look into it. It does sound intriguing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm that's true: each episode from one specific character's perspective, presumably replaying the exact same time-period; all from their PoV as to avoid any basic continuity problems caused by a randomised episode order. In which case it's not that revolutionary 'cos we've seen that format before, albeit in single episodes of an ensemble show - rather than across a whole series.

I only say "gimmick" as I'm feeling increasingly salty about Netflix: at this stage they appear to be really trying anything to bump that flagging, unsustainable growth cycle. The latest beyond this show being an announcement they are building a AAA PC video-game. And because they'll be channeling ludicrous amount of money into that, expect the blandest, most committee-neutered porridge imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Blood & Water season 3 (2021) After crossing paths at a party, a Cape Town teen sets out to prove whether a private-school swimming star is her sister who was abducted at birth.

The Lost Patient (2022) (French) After waking up from a coma with no memory of the night when his entire family was murdered, a young man and his psychiatrist try to untangle the truth.

Korea No.1 season 1 (2022) (Korean) Yu Jae-seok, Lee Kwang-soo and Kim Yeon-koung travel all over Korea to learn from the best traditional masters in a bid to become the No. 1 Apprentice..

Ghislaine Maxwell: Filthy Rich (2022) Stories from survivors frame this documentary detailing the sex-trafficking trial of Ghislaine Maxwell, a socialite and accomplice of Jeffrey Epstein

Khakee: The Bihar Chapter season 1 (2022) (Hindi) As a righteous cop pursues a merciless criminal in Bihar, he finds himself navigating a deadly chase and a moral battle mired in corruption.

The Last Dolphin King (2022) (Spanish) This documentary traces the career of renowned Spanish dolphin trainer José Luis Barbero and the events leading up to his shocking death in 2015

Of Good Report (2013) A seemingly mild-mannered high school teacher's forbidden affair with a teenage pupil creates a gruesome situation in this provocative thriller.

Life in Outer Space: Exoplanets (2022) This documentary examines some of the planetary systems in outer space that are similar to our own and considers their potential to contain life.

Summer '82: When Zappa Came to Sicily (2013) Frank Zappa's 1982 concert in Palermo ended in disaster. Three decades later, his family visits the region to explore their Sicilian heritage

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Watched a Brazilian film called '7 prisoners' the other night and found it good if you don't mind subtitles. A group of men from rural Brazil go to Sao Paolo and end up working as slaves.

I loved Dark but not sure what I'll make of 1899. Watched about half an episode so far and not really gripping me. Will give it more of a go if all reviews are positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Did I hear right that Matilda the Musical is not coming to netflix UK&I until Summer 23 but rest of the world is getting it on December 25th!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I hadn't heard that but it seems to be the case. I guess it's a good opportunity to put my VPN to the test this Christmas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That does seem to be the case. From what I can gather Sony have the rights to it over here and are treating it like a traditional theatrical release, whereas Netflix has the rights elsewhere. Then it’ll be on Netflix Ireland after its traditional theatrical / VOD run.

It seems to be a bet that there’s a bigger cinema market for the film in the UK & Ireland than elsewhere, which there probably is to be fair. It might also perhaps have something to do with the stage musical’s ongoing popularity in the UK, but that’s pure speculation. Certainly an outlier though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It's already in the cinemas here though, so I guess the trade off is getting to see it a month before the US?

Let Him Go (2020) After their son dies and their daughter-in-law remarries an abusive man, an aging couple sets out to rescue their grandson from his powerful new family.

and lots of additions mostly from holland

Added

Another Round (2020) (Danish) Four stagnant high school teachers decide to test out a theory that maintaining a constant level of intoxication will improve their overall lives...

added

loved this film , massive recommendation

• Advertisement

Bad And Crazy season 1 (2021) (Korean) A mysterious, justice-seeking entity throws chaos into the life of a cop who's willing to overlook ethics and corruption for a promotion.

The Action Pack Saves Christmas (2022) The Action Pack teams up with Santa Claus to save the day when greedy Teddy Von Taker plots to steal all of the Christmas cheer from Hope Springs.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 32,595 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Finished the first three episodes of Wednesday.

It all looks very Tim Burton (I know he only directed some episodes) it's very YA/teen as I expected but it is also really fun, Jenny Ortega is excellent, she gets some very fun one liners. Gwendoline Christie is also solid. Honourable mention for Thing as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Yeah, I'm really enjoying Wednesday a lot more than I thought I would. Ortega is great in the main role. Luis Guzman is terrible as Gomez and Zeta Jones doesn't hold a candle to Angelica Heuston's portrayal of Morticia.

Romesh Ranganathan: The Cynic (2022) 2 Episodes Returning to his hometown of Crawley, England, Romesh Ranganathan riffs on veganism, his kids -- and offers a peek into the making of his comedy special.

Crime Scene: The Texas Killing Fields (2022) Limited Series An overgrown field and a stretch of highway connect a series of grisly murders spanning several decades as grieving families search for answers

Fury (2014) A green recruit experiences the horror of war with a veteran American tank crew during the vicious combat of World War II's waning days

Hancock (2008) Will Smith stars as Hancock, a down-and-out superhero who's forced to employ a public relations expert to help repair his image.

Added

Take Your Pills: Xanax (2022) A cure for some and a curse for others, widely prescribed anti-anxiety medication is examined by patients and experts in this revealing documentary.

Call the Midwife season 10 (2021) In impoverished East London in the '50s and '60s, a group of midwives -- some of whom are also nuns -- find joy and heartbreak in and outside their work

Snack VS. Chef season 1 (2022) Twelve chefs channel their inner food scientists to re-create classic snacks and invent their own original treats for a $50,000 prize

Christmas Full of Grace (2022) (Brazilian) Carlinhos catches his partner cheating, then meets lively Graça, who poses as his new one so he can save face at Christmas with his traditional family.

My Name Is Vendetta (2022) (Italian) When enemies from the past kill his wife and brother-in-law, a former mafia enforcer and his daughter flee to Milan to plot their revenge.

A Man of Action (2022) (Spanish) In this drama inspired by the life of Lucio Urtubia, an anarchist targets one of the world's biggest banks with an ingenious counterfeiting operation

Fantasía (2021) (Spanish) Aboard the cruise ship Fantasía, an aging documentarian joins his sister and parents to relive happy memories, even as time and reality march on..

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭apache

Nearly finished watching "Take your pills Xanax'. Good documentary. Had my own problems with Benzos a few years back. Bad news.

Troll (2022) (Norwegian) When an explosion in the Norwegian mountains awakens an ancient troll, officials appoint a fearless paleontologist to stop it from wreaking deadly havoc.

Archer season 13 (2022) Suave, sophisticated spy Archer may have the coolest gadgets, but he still has issues when it comes to dealing with his boss, who is also his mother..

The Masked Scammer (2022) (French) Featuring interviews with his accomplices and victims alike, this deep dive explores how a master con man scammed French elites out of millions of euros.

Dead End season 1 (2022) (Polish) A group of people sharing a ride accidentally switches cars with a bank robber, who then pursues them to retrieve the stolen money he left in the trunk.

Stand by Me (1986)

Young Adult (2011)

Kicking and Screaming (1995)

Good Will Hunting (1997)

Pulp Fiction (1994)

The Breakfast Club (1985)

As Good as It Gets (1997)

Ghost Town (2008)

Small Soldiers (1998)

Spanglish (2004)

Stuart Little (1999)

Stuart Little 2 (2002)

Shaun the Sheep: The Flight Before Christmas (2021)

Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper (2004)

Last Night (2010)

The Diary of Anne Frank (2016)

The Raven (2012)

A Christmas Miracle for Daisy

Angel Falls Christmas (2021)

Christmas Time Is Here (2021)

A Kindhearted Christmas (2021)

Seven Years in Tibet (1997)

Paid in Full (2002) As the drug business booms in 1980s Harlem, ambitious Ace reluctantly builds his own empire, risking his friendships -- and his life.

Sausage Party (2016)

Return to the Blue Lagoon (1991)

Blue Lagoon: The Awakening (2012)

Tears of the Sun (2003)

Gone Baby Gone (2007)

The Lazarus Project (2008)

The American (2010)

Break Up (1998)

Shooter (2007)

That's My Boy (2012)

This Is 40 (2012)

A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014)

Scream (1996)

Welcome to the Jungle (2003)

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)

Eye See You (2002)

Backdraft (1991)

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Woo. Hopefully Troll lives up to the fun of the trailer.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭nomoedoe

Great to see Stand By Me and the breakfast club added two excellent films

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Part 1 Feb 9th, part 2 March 9th.....is this Netflix's plan to get at least 2 months of a sub from someone who may have only gotten 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,021 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This is a big loss for Netflix

Haunting series and Midnight Mass makers leaving Netflix to go to Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Hopefully he takes on The Dark Tower at Amazon. He said he wants to do it. 3rd times the charm. 🤷‍♂️

\Sr.\ (2022) Robert Downey Jr. pays tribute to his late father in this documentary chronicling the life and eclectic career of pioneering filmmaker Robert Downey Sr.

Lady Chatterley's Lover (2022) Unhappily married aristocrat Lady Chatterley begins a torrid affair -- and falls deeply in love -- with the gamekeeper on her husband's country estate

Supermodel Me: Revolution season 1 (2022) Twelve up-and-coming models from across Asia strut their stuff for a tough new judging panel in this fierce competition to win career-making prizes.

Hot Skull season 1 (2022) (Turkish) In a dystopian world, as an epidemic spreads through verbal communication, a tyrannical institution pursues a linguist immune to the disease.

Scrooge: A Christmas Carol (2022) On a cold Christmas Eve, selfish miser Ebenezer Scrooge has one night left to face his past -- and change the future -- before time runs out.

Warriors of Future (2022) (Cantonese) When a meteor carrying a destructive plant strikes the world, a suicide squad is given hours to save their post-apocalyptic city from total collapse..

Firefly Lane season 2 (2022) Best friends Tully and Kate support each other through good times and bad with an unbreakable bond that carries them from their teens to their 40s

My Unorthodox Life season 2 (2021) Follow Julia Haart, Elite World Group CEO and a former member of an ultra-Orthodox Jewish community, and her adult kids in this reality series.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Oh God. I take it that means the stuff they made with Netflix will be leaving too? Midnight Mass was one of the best things I've seen in the last good while and the Midnight Club, whilst more aimed at teens, was also enjoyable.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's not clear from the article, I suppose it depends whether Netflix owns the rights to the productions or just had them for a set period.

On the plus side, Netflix will get the Fall Of The House Of Usher limited series sometime next year before Intrepid moves to Amazon.

I would presume Netflix will retain the shows? Depends on the contract of course but we've seen artists jump services before without the old stuff disappearing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

We have? I wasn't aware of that. That's a bit of a relief as I like to portion out watching shows like this into tiny bite size portions throughout the year rather than watching them all in one go.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

This is true but the flipside is we've also seen nonsense like Lucifer where switching platform mid series meant that the newer seasons pitched up on Netflix without the old ones (for several years IIRC).

Less of an issue with standalone limited series, admittedly, but it would still be a loss to Netflix (and subscribers) if the several IMO excellent series from Intrepid were to leave when the deal expires. (Although OTOH if that meant that a physical media release could happen I'd probably say it was worth it... )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

How do you mean 3rd time? Was a second version made?

Advertisement