Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Plus you'd want to be crazy to go to 4 x salary on the basis of your monthly repayments and that's before the new interest rates are applied.

No doubt people will think its great to begin with but will end up getting a shock when they realise the financial burden.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

logic doesnt come into this at all, when you re desperate to purchase, you re desperate, and will do anything to achieve this, the new cb rule was always ridiculous, once again proving, our central banks are lost in regards these issues, and absolutely nothing was learned from the previous boom bust cycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Bingo, this is what FF and FG will do before they leave power in 2024. They've already done it with social housing leases guaranteeing, for 25 years, 80-85% of ridiculously over inflated market rent with certain institutionals.

It is a bit of an open secret that many investors were trying to buy up apartments the last few years solely to rent to the councils, even getting agents to solicit owners of existing apartment blocks to see if they'd sell up.

The money will run out and questions will be asked about where it all went and why, for example, we still have no underground in Dublin or Poolbeg developed and there will be no accountability for how much good cash was wasted by inflating the property market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

I agree with the sentiment, but the vast majority of people are paying rent that would be equivalent to a mortgage of wayyy more than 4x income.

I know it’s not that simple and they aren’t comparable. But that is the math most renters will do in their head when considering their own affordability.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It's a reminder that the system is set up to hurt the average person in Ireland.

The 4 x salary limit is only designed to do one thing, keep property prices artificially inflated.

The Irish establishment are a bunch of gansters essentially, they're protecting their racket like any gansters would do.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,382 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Irrelevant.

Would you more likely give me a long term personal loan for 500k for me to buy something if I am currently renting that thing short term but paying more than what my repayments to you would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

You’ve misread either my post or the person I was responding to.

Poster explicitly said YOUD be mad to go to 4x. Not the bank. Of course Bank will make its own credit decisions.

Just observing that the expectation that someone paying €2.5k a month in rent will turn down a €1.5k a month mortgage because it’s too big a burden is just not the case. If the banks will give it, the people will take it in most cases.

Ok. Fair enough. I did get the wrong end of the stick. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

Stock market refusing to drop adequately, central banks have been emboldened to keep rates increasing and balances tightening.

This is going to get a lot worse. People still dont understand whats coming 😂.

Anyone buying now is going to learn the hard way, around the top, there is always a multitude of fabrications on why prices wont drop. Looking back at last crash, many believed those buying at the top were dumb, in hindsight. But back then majority thought it was the logical course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Yeah Central bankers all out downplaying the pivot talk that has made the markets rally since the last CPI data. Personally I think its all talk and Yeah they will go higher until something serious breaks then all bets are off as I really then when the **** hits the fan they will pivot just as quick as they did during covid regardless of inflation.

• Advertisement

The more articles you read saying prices must go up because of supply or because of the new 4.5 multiple, the more extreme the drops are going to be. I read articles proposing that the 4.5 borrowing increase will cause prices to go up while not once mentioning rising rates🤣.

These "economists" have no clue how the system works.

It's only a 4x multiple, not 4.5x, the 4.5x would be the exemption given now. Prices will go up because the 4x multiplier only impacts the lower end of the market. People struggling to buy on low incomes (under 40k each) would be only getting a max loan of 280k (3.5 x 80k), now they're going to be able to get 320k.

It is also letting second-time buyers purchase with only a 10% deposit, adding people who weren't able to buy again, back in to purchase. Far more people will come in at the lower end of the market.

By this logic, if central banks raise multiple to 12, prices will quadruple 🤣.

You are ignoring the most important factor, rising rates and why its now the only option left to central banks.

People are so blind to reality, but Id expect nothing else. Youd swear the market was built off first time buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

I'm sorry but what evidence is there to suggest landlords are not charging the most they can charge?

We saw landlords upping rent by 10+% before the RPZs. Their mortgage repayments didn't change.

Landlords are in it to make as much money as possible. Landlords aren't charities...so why are people acting like they're renting accomodationg for the good of the tenant? Landlords rent out for their benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You could have written this post every year for the past 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

It's clear as day that government policy is to keep house prices where they are. Not once have they ever said that house prices are too high. Its all about "affordability"... careful choice of words.

They'd rather throw ever increasing grants at first time buyers rather than see property prices moderate. A (failing) attempt at keeping as many people happy as they can I suppose.

External factors might pull down Irish property prices, but we can be sure this government will push hard the opposite direction if that happens.

You couldn't make it up - rising interest rates threatened to calm the market, so they relax lending rules.

It has to turn at some point though - whats going on isn't sustainable... and unfortunately the longer this goes on the bigger the fallout when it inevitably ends in tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DRedSky

The government are determined to keep prices up and the latest Irish Central bank lending rule change was brought on by them being strongly lobbied by the government to do it, without a doubt. BUT on the other hand interest rates are going up a lot and they will have a big impact in the opposite direction so it's going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

Just out of curiosity, what is the story with everyone saying January will see the 4x rule change taking effect? Is it not the case that you can only apply for a 4x mortgage in Jan which in theory would mean someone doing this would not likely be in a position to buy until April/May?

Or are people thinking you can apply for 4x now but can't actually draw down ti Jan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

This is a good question, and it’s one that doesn’t arise as often as it should.

I’m not aware of statistics, but I would wager that there are thousands upon thousands of adults in their late 20s, 30s or even 40s who are essentially stuck in life despite being in employment. I personally know people in their 40s who are house-sharing or living with their parents. In that situation, one cannot settle down, marry or have children, even if they wanted to.

What is the toll of this?  Obviously, this is creating a mental health disaster, but there is also the demographic element.  The people whom I mention above are not “young” people. Rather, they are adults who only a few years ago would have been having children and raising the next generation.  Thus it may be assumed that native birth rates are falling, hence the state’s gusto for immigration. 

I too have wondered what the long-term fate of this lost generation will be, and let us not pretend that this is not what we have. Certainly, many of the younger generation will manage to own their own home, but an enormous proportion will not. If I’m honest, I think that their plight will simply be added the already immense human cost of the globalist/neo-liberal economic model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

There is a cohort of people that were posting that because Irish banks have loads of deposit they won't be passing most of the ECB rates increase to end users. I personally think it is idiocracy to be believe that in the long term.

I see some of the bankers bonus limits could be removed by the government soon. In a year from now when we only have 3 large banks and no competition, and the expectation that ECB will not go negative with their interest rates again. Long term I see interest rates being high for mortgage holders due to lack of competition.

Deposit holders could be the next market will be for these banks, by December ECB rates might hit 2%. So even if banks gave people .75% on their deposit on the high end by end of next year. Banks can make a killing in profit and hence nice bonus for them bankers.

• Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is a cohort of people that were posting that because Irish banks have loads of deposit they won't be passing most of the ECB rates increase to end users.

Literally nobody ever said this. You are straw-manning.

I have approval for 3.5x, and in January I'll get approval for 4x, approval in principle took me about 30 minutes on the phone. I like many will have all the documentation with the bank so that 4x approval will take no time whatsoever, meaning those who get it can start bidding an additional amount onto their offers. If you're in a 2-person household with a combined salary of 88,404 (average salary is €44,202 - there is no latest median), your borrowing amount goes up by 44,202 come January. A lot of people on the average couple's salary would have only been able to borrow 309k, and now with the new 4x, that'll go up to 355k. The bottom of the market will not change, and a lot of couples that wanted to buy their own place won't have an issue with repayments of 1600 per month over a 30-year mortgage when they have been paying 2500 in rent.

"The Governor also said one of the top risks facing the financial system is the growing size of investment funds. Ireland is the third largest location for such funds in the world.

Property funds in Ireland will now have a 60% limit set for the amount of borrowed money a fund holds."

Read between the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Duplicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

You will bid up to an extra 44k, but the couple who earns 10k more than you will bid up to an extra 49k. Those same couples who have been outbidding you when mortgages were 3.5x.

So all that will happen is the baseline house price (for second hand homes) will go up by 44k plus. Which in turn will push up prices all the way up the chain.

You still won't have a home. Homes in general will just become even more expensive, so those who can afford to outbid you will be laden with more debt.

The only way this thing changes at all is if more homes are built.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Can you point out a single post in this thread where someone said they won't be passing most of the ECB rate increases on?

There was discussion that the initial round of rate increases would be absorbed, which is what has happened.

Also, we're now heading into December. Plenty of posts made last May predicting that the property market would have collapsed by December and that we just had to give it time. Is it pushed back to next December?

CSO figures highlighting that property prices are still increasing, let alone falling - and I was told on more than one occasion that the CSO figures would start to register a decent fall in property prices by now. Hasn't happened yet.

• Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How about you read between the lines for us and give your interpretation of what you believe this article means?

• Advertisement

Actually there were some views expressed on the thread a few weeks or months ago that the Irish banks wouldn't raise rates in response to rises in the wholesale market because they didn't need to as they had so much deposits sitting there. It obviously didn't make sense, but it was claimed.

I remember because I tried arguing with them over it at the time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement