Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭francois

Interesting, went to check this and there's a massive amount of bot accounts retweeting 4/5 tweets with the same message

In theory, shouldn’t be that difficult to remove…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Twitter is now saddled with the debt of the buyout. If you mean Musk's personal wealth that's another matter and open to debate, though this and Tesla's current fortunes can't be helping. Twitter though, has become a big monetary black hole and will take financial sorcery on another level to generate profit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Maybe that was the whole point dumping debt into it make it bankrupt and get it written off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,552 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Paid $44Bn for the company and Musk himself said Twitter is losing $4Mil a day. When something costs a lot of money to buy and doesn't generate a profit it's not making him any money. Less delusional and more fact. This is before you factor in the hit to the Tesla share price when he had to sell some of them to pay for Twitter.

If anyone has a plausible theory about how he can make money out of this I want to hear it. I wouldn't put it past Musk to have some sort of money-making scheme behind all of this if it's possible, I just can't see how he could make anything out of this absolute disaster.

Interesting story about how a man also considered a genius industrialist got into a business he didn't understand and how it was a disaster: https://imgur.com/gallery/hgMnCej

I think wealthy businessmen let their wealth go to their heads and assume they're smarter than everyone else and that they can succeed at anything, even if they haven't a clue about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I'm guessing he's just discovered the Epic V Apple case, unfortunately for him Epic can survive without mobile devices in the short term, Twitter cannot, although maybe he is honestly delusional enough to think he can design, build and ship a device before everything comes cashing down. Also didn't Apple just start increasing their US market share again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Okay so I presume this genius just realised...

- Charge everyone $8pm for a blue emoji!

(Or a grey one or a gold one or whatever colour we are on now)

- anyone using Twitter on an iPhone, with said emoji, 30% goes to Apple.(not hard to spot)

- Musk pissed off that he is making easy money for Apple , for free.

- refuses to pay 30%

- Apple threatens to remove app from store....like that other app previously in dispute (some game the kids are into?)

- makes last min decision to go to war, with apple? ( Obviously after a quick check with his legal teams...... probably sent an email saying, if you dont click on link in this email by 4.30, I'm going after apple......meanwhile what's left of the legal dept. Is locked out on the he street with no account access) and dose not respond)

Disclaimer....some of the above is not based on facts and purely from my imagination!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is a man who boasted he could solve World Hunger if given €2 billion (wasn't it?); the man who spitballed a submarine to rescue children trapped in a cave; a man who had a flamethrower designed and built for the lols; and who spent millions on a stupid car tunnel.

I'd 100% believe Musk would think he could ram through a new "revolutionary" phone to compete with Apple.

No question mind you: Apple charging 30% commission has always been a total piece of shít tactic, by a company that goes out of its way to ring-fence customers and business partners alike; witness the whole USB debacle. All to be expected, given the lineage spawns from another famous ásshole Steve Jobs. Asking me to pick a side in Apple vs. Elon Musk is like picking a leg I'd prefer to be broken. Can't we just have neither?

Perhaps. Though I'd be slow to speak with too much certainty when it comes to the finances and accounting of American Corporations, I doubt it'd be as easy as Musk burning the company and walking away in the clear. Or indeed, in the black as the other user seemed to be implying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Totally agree, and I never liked Apple and it's restrictive eco system myself and an android user myself.

Also agree that the 30% is a piss take, but it's there a long time and established at this stage, and if you want to change do it the right way.

• Advertisement

Out of interest, why is 30% a piss take?

30% is standard commission for a bricks and mortar store selling art from an artist. Not unheard of to hear talent agents charge 30%. I think the best football agents are somewhere around that figure too.

Why do you think apple shouldn't charge 30% for their marketplace? Presumably companies are still making a profit from selling on the apple store?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

He said he could solve world hunger for $6 Billion. I guess he was too focused on saving mankind to save mankind. Or it was bullshit.

The flamethrower wasn't really a flamethrower. Flamethrowers project liquid fuel which burns whatever it lands on. The Boring Company "flamethrower" uses gas and is basically a roofing torch with a plastic cover that makes it look like a weapon.

I would not want to be near the guy firing that thing off in the wind. Why flame throwers throw not blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

Money can't solve world hunger, certainly not in an acceptable way.

OFC it can the more money that was thrown at cancer research the faster were beating most forms. World hunger is not really a hunger Issue there is plenty of food. It's a money problem and people living in areas that cant grow said food. Deforestation is a major driver in places for desertification.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Of course not.

He's gone bonkers from stress.

Completely batshit.

Meanwhile at Apple: “There’s some app developer called Musk demanding to speak the manager?” “Tell them to visit Apple .com / support !”

When you start seeing articles like this in publications like the FT, you can assume that the corporate and news Twitter exodus has begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭McFly85

This kind of reminds me of watching Graham Linehan’s twitter downfall, except on a bigger scale.

The same increasingly hostile tweets to resonate with his followers, the same ignorance of reality and his other responsibilities.

Hes too rich to ever be completely destroyed in the way Linehan was so I can really only see it going one way as long as he’s in charge and sees fit to publicly admonish his customers: they will continue to leave, Twitter will continue to shrink until it’s eventually gone, or is like a MySpace that is there but not really relevant.

• Advertisement

So has anyone actually used Mastodon then? I was curious and according to news they've jumped from 300k to 2.6 million users of late; still a way to go before Twitter might start looking around its shoulder. Also seems Mastodon relies on donations and has one named employee - its owner. I'd expect both those to change if the service ever truly took off.

Nothing lasts forever within the digital landscape and if Musk had an ounce of self-awareness he'd recognise a need to be careful lest Twitter become the new Bebo. Indeed, fortunes can also whiplash in a positive direction: look at Zoom. External factors influenced of course, but while our company used it prior to MArch 2020, who'd have predicted it would become an immediate household name?

This one had to hurt a little 🤣

Edit: Some saying it's fake so not sure if true sonic mods want to delete then please do.

Mastodon isn’t a single entity. It’s basically a protocol and software that allows anyone to setup a server - very much in the same way as anyone can spin up an email server or a web server and they all communicate.

The big Irish ‘instance’ is Mastodon.ie, which seems to be growing fast and has seen most of “Irish Twitter” (at least the talkative part) appearing on it in the last couple of weeks. It has that vibe you tend to get on Irish social media, including here at its peak, and in general it’s been pretty decent and very easy going.

You’re also starting to see public bodies, organisations and institutions setting up their own instances, which means that all their users are verified, much like having a corporate email address. The EU for example has already spun one up and the various institutions are on it.

There are various tools out there that can plug into your Twitter account and find your followers too, which is quite useful.

A lot of people have one foot in both worlds at the moment.

The moderation is done locally, and rogue servers can be ignored / blocked or defederated, if the particular instance wants to do that.

The upside is it’s totally decentralised and you’ll never get a Musk situation. The downside is it’s totally decentralised and a bit more chaotic. The quality of the experience very much depends on the ‘instance’ you’re using. There’s literally nothing to stop any crackpot setting up an instance, but nobody has to connect to it.

The main Irish instance is relying on people chipping in a few Euro here and there to keep the lights on, but it’s been running very smoothly.

The other side of is that you can look at your local feeds or “federated” feeds or more often a mix of both when your followers start to be from everywhere.

Functionally it’s similar to Twitter, but only at a superficial level. It’s quite different.

My only concern is that as the volumes grow so do the overheads. The main Irish instance for example went from about 500 users to something like 16,000+ in the space of a couple of weeks. The issue then is infrastructure and moderation becomes a lot more than a hobbyist’s pastime and that’s where I think mastodon instances might need to go somewhat more professional, but that being said they’re running a lot more smoothly than Twitter is at the moment, so I guess it’s just different.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 33,680 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah as much as I'd love for it to be real, there's no way Tim Cook would throw petrol on the fire like that. So long as Apple can show they're treating Musk & Twitter the same as every other app on their store, Musk has very little to legitimately complain about (hence why he's shouting about "free speech" rather than "less profits").

Apple simply won’t engage in something like this. Elmo will inevitably get very upset as he just won’t get any response. You can expect a lot of toys being thrown out of the pram.

Apple has an enormous and very carefully protected brand, and it’s a much, much older tech company than any of these internet entities. It’s easy to forget it’s been around for 46 years.

They’ll just be sitting back and ordering extra popcorn 🍿

• Registered Users Posts: 60,629 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It has to be Tim Cook as he has a verified tick ☑️ providing he is who he say he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The issue with 30%, and it's a broader issue than just Twitter, is that pre installed app stores are anti-competitive. This is particularly the case with Apple as it's very difficult to run apps on iOS outside of the app store. If you could easily install apps on iOS devices from other sources, then there would be less of an issue.

It's somewhere similar to the anti competitive behaviour Microsoft was engaged in over internet explorer.

It's effectively a ransom you have to pay Apple for users to be able to run code on their own hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Awful, awful name for a social media thing, and it doesn't scale well.

Essentially people just want another Twitter, albeit one run by sane people, not some 40-something year old memelord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It makes it even more hilarious, underscoring how out of control Twitter presently is.

Advertisement