Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym wants medical cert

Options
  • 28-11-2022 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

I wanted to change gym to one nearer home and cheaper , because I mentioned on the application that I take one tablet a day for blood pressure which Ive been doing for 20 years ,now they want a medical cert from my GP which will cost 60 euro , on a side note are they allowed ask your medical history under GDPR rules ,I was out sick recently and my doctor refused to tell my employer the reason ,just that I was unfit for work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The GDPR doesn't put any explicit limits on what data can be requested, collected or stored - only that there must be a legitimate purpose for requesting, processing or storing the information, and that purpose must be outlined in the organisations data privacy policy. Obviously, there's an awful lot more to the GDPR too, but it's a common misconception that there are blanket prohibitions to certain information being requested. A gym, for example, would be justified in asking for medical information, as it could have a bearing on their liability in terms of risk while exercising. But they would not be justified in asking for your religion, as it would have no bearing on the services they provide. A church would be justified in asking for your religion if you were applying to get married, but your medical history or status would be irrelevant and so they could not ask for that.

Regarding employers, in most cases on medical certificates it is not required to tell your employees what the specific medial reason is, as the legalisation simply states that you are allowed be off sick if you are certified by a doctor, and does not require you to disclose the specific reason. So there's no legitimate reason for them to know why you're unfit for work, just that you are. An example of an exception to this was during the Covid 19 pandemic, where employers were generally allowed (and indeed encouraged) to ask employees if they tested positive for the virus, as it was needed for reporting and contact tracing, which were legal requirements.

As for the gym asking for a medical cert, they're entitled to do that, again as they potentially have a liability since you disclosed treatment for a medical condition that could potentially have significance for the specific service they provide. If in your individual case it doesn't, then that's exactly what the cert is there to establish. There's plenty of sports organisations that require medical examinations and certs for all participants (CFT for scuba diving, for example), or for those that have specific health issues or risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Cill94

It’s each gym/trainers perogative to ask for medical clearance before training you if you’ve disclosed you have a heart related issue. It means that if you did have a cardiac event while training and tried to sue, they’d have proof that they did their professional due dilligence.

Personally I wouldn’t ask for a doctor’s note for something that’s been under control with medication for so long, I’d just have you sign a waiver.

But at the end of the day it’s their business so you don’t really have an option unless you just go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Waivers are not worth the paper they are written on. You can not sign away legal rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Cill94

I never said that a waiver absolves anyone of blame, especially if gross negligence occurs. But if you're taken to court, it absolutely means something to be able to show a piece of signed physical proof that the person was made aware of the inherent dangers of the activity. Any gym that doesn't use waivers is foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Take it to court and it’ll still mean nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭JayRoc

In 15+ years of coaching I've had to ask for a GP letter/medical cert three times. It's not unreasonable in certain circumstances.

if you're not comfortable with it, that's not unreasonable either; you'll just have to look for another gym.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Not uncommon to ask for a cert in some gyms.

In a workplace gym I was in anyone who had elevated blood pressure show up on the day of the induction was sent off to get one. We were all stressed to the gills and drinking 5 coffees a day so it was a lot of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Of course they can ask.

As above most employers insist on getting this information even if a medical in required by a company doctor….So why not a gym ?

i needed a health declaration for my gym. No problem…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I'd be taking this as a positive. They're not willing to risk your health for a sign up fee. They want to ensure it's safe to train you. Just what you want if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Thanks guys ,I don't have high blood pressure because its been treated successfully for 20 odd years ,I could have taken a blood pressure test in front of him because I take my own BP a few times a week ,but I'll go see my GP if that's required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

When managing a gym a few years ago, a member died. His wife attempted to sue as she knew he had heart issues but he did not disclose them to us and lied on his application form. If he did, and was let join before giving a med cert, I assume we could have been liable to some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

I say if you rang GP surgery told them what you needed they would be able to write a letter based on your history and it would cost less than the €60 visit.

Presume when on tablets you visit them often for check up, script ect. so they could have enough information from that to give gym what they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They haven't asked for your medical history. They simply want a cert that you are cleared to train. No info needed. Just like the doctors cert when you were sick

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

They want medical clearance not a cert like for your boss.

They are just taking care of you and want to make sure you won't get hurt. The GP will them what they think that your gym needs to know to keep you safe. If your GP feels they really don't need to know anything else except that you are fit to exercise then they won't put it down as a note. Or they might want to say something.

Dealing with illnesses o disabilities or 'special populations etc' is becoming more a part of training in the fitness industry. As is medical screening. Medical screening is there to keep you safe. Not just to stop you taking legal action.

As people have said above they are not willing to take your money to only risk your health which is a good sign.

Advertisement