Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Katherine Ryan claims she called out alleged ‘sexual predator’ celebrity on TV series

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

"(in the absense of evidence)"

its a science isn't it. not really about belief.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Nobody argued that. There are parties that this information should be given to to have the cases investigated. Making vague public allegations that cause the dumb masses to speculate, and likely suspect innocent people, is not the way to handle this. It has nothing to do with gaslighting.

Even here there are people saying "My money is on this person and that person, whom I don't like" - it's an awful dodgy thing to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

oh so false allegations do happen? ok. glad we cleared that up.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Looks like Fern Brady has mentioned on more that one occasion that Russell Brand is a sexual predator. Wonder if anything will ever come of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

there needs to be a diference between beleiving someone and taking them seriously. you cannot just beleive the word of someone on such a serious matter if there is no evidence to prove it. you take it seriously and go looking for evivence of what happened

Canadian comedienne and actress (of Irish stock) based in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭supermans ghost

My two cents, caught the last 10 minutes of her interview with Louis Theroux, while channel surfing and frankly my first impression of her is someone who has “issues” shall we say. I had not ever heard of her, so had to Google her to find out she was a sometime comedian. Verdict classic attention seeking imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

"Sometime comedian" Interesting take, off the top of my head, multiple Netflix specials, a Netflix show, panel shows both here and the USA and an Amazon prime series........

I'd class that as full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

There isn't even an allegation, just the word 'predator'.

Are people now at the stage where they will believe something without even knowing what it is?

So we have no allegation and no accused but the accuser (of something?) is A Woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

But it's even weirder than that. We're not even being told what it is we're believing.

That’s why it’s so insidious. By the time someone gets officially named (if it all) the rumours will have damaged people who had nothing to do with these allegations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Who is spreading the rumours though? Katherine Ryan didn't name anyone, and clearly (and purposefully) didn't give any identifying information. She wasn't trying to put forward an accusation, she was talking about something that happened during her career (the incident didn't happen to her, but she was talking about having to work with someone she knew had done whatever to another woman and she called him out on it).

Anyone throwing names about or speculating about who it is would be to blame. She didn't name or identify anyone at all. She's not the one spreading rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Sigyn

Maybe that person has reason, such as personal experince, to make a statement like this and it has nothing to do with "dislike "? Just because they are "celebrities ' doesn't been they live in an ivory tower ;)

Homo homini lupus est.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If someone is named, it'd be 50/50 if their career was in anyway affected, especially if the behaviour is predatory but not illegal.

No one is losing bookings or slots on tv because someone on Reddit thinks they might be the person Katherine Ryan was talking about that one time.

I'm talking about this thread. What's more likely - members posting "I reckon it's xyz who is the predator" because of personal experience with said individual, or because they don't like them?

And I never mentioned anything about celebrities being in an ivory tower. Of course they're not, of course they can be responsible for abuse, but nobody, no matter what they're like, should have sexual misconduct speculation thrown at them based on someone saying an unnamed man in their industry is allegedly a sexual predator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Stop being so reasonable. You're making it hard for the rest of us to vilify her.

• Advertisement

So it’s ok to be viewed with suspicion even if you haven’t done anything? Just because someone made unsavoury comments about an unnamed individual that some people think could be you?

Because the purpose of her comments weren't to spread rumours, but instead discussing something she experienced in the context of and relevant to the conversation she was having with others. From what I remember she was talking with other female comedians about hearing these types of accusations about male comedians, how many female comedians have group chats to let others know about incidents they've had with male comedians etc. Ryan's comment was relevant to the conversation she was having, but she very intentionally didn't give any identifying information because that wasn't the point of what she was saying. She was trying to discuss one experience she had, not what the man had actually done.

The fact that other people, namely people on the Internet and some sections of the media, have endlessly speculated as to who she was referring to or trying to get her to reveal either who it was or who the woman it happened to was, that's entirely on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If you were a male comedian of any standing, you wouldnt be letting female comedians within an asses roar of any project that you were involved in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Yeah, I know you got yourself all het up over this but you said "why believe", not me. False allegations happen, in a lot of circumstances, but you said "commonplace" which is not the case. Obviously AGS can't just choose a side, investigations must happen and like I said, while that's the case, names/details should not be known to the public.

We've been through not believing victims in the past. That's why we don't wanna go down that road.

Yeah sure, if you

A) Mistrust all women, or

B) Are a sex pest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Because bookies exist for a reason, you calculate the odds and decide what the chances of you being the victim of a whisper network voming out with vague accusations and what effect that will have on your career?

It’s a sad day when even someone like me thinks that’s a bit much

If there were loads of proven examples you might have a point.

Men who complain about radical feminists object to the way they tar all men with the same brush - and rightly so. Yet some seem to be ok with doing the very same thing however.

• Advertisement

Romesh Ranganathan is starring in a new sitcom with Katherine Ryan. I wonder why he felt comfortable starring with her even after she talked about the thing which started this conversation.

Maybe, it's because he knows he's not a sex pest and that Katherine isn't someone who would baselessly throw out accusations without cause.

It's funny, but when the Harvey Weinstein revelations were in full swing, many complained about why women weren't warning other women about him. Yet here we have the idea that some UK female comedians give each other the heads up about inappropriate behaviour, and now "Well male comedians just shouldn't work with any women in case they're the victim of vague accusations!"

I listen to a few podcasts by UK comedians, with other comedians as guests etc. It's very clear that the majority of male and female comedians get along great, support each other, like each other etc. Even just taking Katherine Ryan as an example, like I said she's now starring in a new sitcom with Romesh Ranganathan, she hosted her own stand-up showcase on Amazon Prime with a bunch of male comedians who had no issue working with her, she tours and works with a pretty right-leaning, anti-woke comedian called Geoff Norcott, and Jimmy Carr is one of her best friends even though some here and on Reddit were speculating that maybe Katherine was referring to him with her comments (because people speculating even though there was pretty much zero identifying information given are ridiculous). None of them had any hesitation working with her.

Maybe if you were a comedian and were scared that just working with a female comedian would lead to them having to warn other female comedians about you, maybe the issue wouldn't be with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭dontmindme

neither are illegal and 'pest' is purely subjective!

There's a post somewhere near the beginning of this thread where someone describes being sexually violated - by a man talking to them about sex...what the actual fk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't know. I've had people say to me that they will not participate in a young person's experience programme in their work due to the risk of working with children.

OTT perhaps, but these kinds of things do generate real fear.

The point is, a distrust of all women is nonsense. Just like a distrust of all men is.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So take it up with the people who are starting and spreading the rumours. You’ve quite a few of them on this thread if you want to challenge the insidious nature of their speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Sigyn

I don't know what to think now. She's certainly not doing herself any favours with this...

Homo homini lupus est.

• Advertisement

If you can't imagine a context where a man talking to a woman about sex can be creepy, make them feel violated, scared or extremely uncomfortable you need help. Seriously.

This post sums it up. She's not trustworthy because wanderer2010 said so. Also, wanderer2010 doesn't find her material funny, therefore she made it up. This has to be possibly the dumbest post on this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

Simple solution for this problem

She makes a statement to the police. Let them take it from there.

If the “predatory” behaviour ( what a ridiculous term anyway) wasn’t illegal there is little the police can do. Obviously the media will be more than happy to pick it up and put their spin on it.

She wasn't the one the incident happened to. If she goes to the police, it's hearsay. It would be up to the woman the incident happened to to make a statement to the police.

Do you think she should go to the police to make an official accusation against someone where she would have to officially and on the record name the man, even though she has no direct evidence and was neither the victim nor a witness to the incident?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

yeah it is the women that are the problem. sweet suffering jesus.

We've also been through automatically believing accusations, that didnt really work out either.

See witch trials, stazi , and southern u.s. culture - it were them damn negros what dun it.

I see it in the news enough that its frequency warrants my cynisicm. And Im not alone as you can see. Nobody can take these things at face value anymore. Blame the liars.

I should really go stick the house on a 100/1 horse then, because in decades of working with women, I seem to have completely beaten the odds. Either that or a few posters are suffering from internet-induced delusions.

How real the fear is would be up for debate but certainly seems a bit OTT to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A much clearer example of this is the dearth of male teachers nowadays, particularly at primary level. It can be a hard career to get a first permanent position in unless you have less common qualifications for subjects at secondary level (e.g. Maths rather than Irish/History etc.) but it's very well paid for the hours worked, offers unrivalled annual leave and is the very definition of "a good permanent and pensionable job", especially if you're not living in the capital so why are young men avoiding it as a career choice? Most anecdotal evidence I've heard indicates it's in no small part due to that risk of working with children and the reality that even a completely fabricated allegation will be believed by a not insignificant number of your colleagues and neighbours even if no charges are ever proven (or even brought to court).

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wezz

The problem is that behaviour that men see as innocent can, in a certain context, seem intimidating to women. I was out at the weekend, went to a club, a mate of mine met a girl and chatted to her for a while. When he saw her leaving he left the club and - in his words "chased her down the road" to get her number. She told him to get lost. He couldn't understand her "attitude and mixed signals" - again, his words. When I pointed out that a man chasing down a woman at half two on a sunday morning could be seen as a potential harm he couldn't understand it because they had been getting along so well. We all need to be aware of ourselves a little more and consider others experiences because we don't all live in the same world.

I reckon we can find a middle ground between your suggestion of not even entertaining allegations and burning people at the stake. In fact we already have. It's very unwise to go extreme on either side.

Unsure as to where you get your news but I've yet to see these frequent articles that have lead you to disbelieve all women.

Yeah. Its called a courtroom. Due process.

Or at least a police report. Until then its as good as any other shyte in the gossip section. Idle talk is not enough.

Show me something. Wheres the beef. (Tap tap tap).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

She does not need to be the victim of the incident to make a statement to the Police. The Police will decide if there is sufficient evidence/reason to investigate further.

If she is as sure about the incident as she is making out in public, then yes she should go to the police. If she has not got sufficient evidence to stand over the claims she is making, then its just hearsay on her part (and possibly attention seeking to try to be relevant). If she is in the wrong, she's effectively trying to destroy somebody's reputation. She's afraid to name names because of lawyers. If she's in the right she should have enough evidence to let the police take it further and not have to name names of go public about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

These kinds of suggestions imply that taking such claims to the police 1) isn’t a horrendous experience for the complainant and 2) is likely to have a positive outcome.

Have a look at some of the leaked text messages from Met police officers and tell me that you’d be happy for your sister or your daughter to be taking her sexual assault claims to those officers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement