Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

They want to be an upmarket bar. Carrigaline is one of the biggest towns in the country, we're better off having new establishments try and cater to different crowds rather than repeating the same old. The pub options in the town are all very similar. There isn't an upmarket bar in the country that hasn't mistakenly turned away people that didn't deserve it. It's naturally going to happen and nothing unique to Mabel Lane

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

In terms of a bar/restaurant what does "upmarket" mean to you?

This is a genuine question. Does it refer to the door policy? Does it refer to the quality and choice of the food and drink?

Looking at their website, the serve much the same food and drink as anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

The food in Mabel Lane is grand. Very run of the mill pub food and no one had complaints in my group. A handy option if you're local and need an easy meal or whatever but nothing to go out of your way for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Clearly it seems the locals are beneath you! Notions.

Clearly you've been turned away for wearing a tracksuit and have decided to have a vendetta against it forever more. It's not unpopular with locals. It's doing very well.

I am not actually the proprietor of the establishment so I don't know why I'm getting both barrels for describing the place. If you were turned away once the chances are you'll be allowed in the next time. S**t happens

• Advertisement

So, no explanation of what "upmarket" actually means?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I found pearl River to be a great Chinese few years ago anyways.i haven't been in a long while so can't vouch for it at present! They served a great sizzling steak 😋

Clearly no, I haven't been refused access to Mabel Lane. I wouldn't bother trying seeing as they randomly restrict potential patrons on the basis of look or the humour of the door personnel. Reminds me of the heavy gang outside Cubins back in the day, security trying to feel important!

The fact remains, there's no need for heavy gangs and the likes outside any establishment in Carrigaline, maybe the Stables as an exception on busy occasions.

I'm not sure they are doing very well there tbh. Staff are treated poorly. Imagine starting a minimum paid job today and getting examined on the wine list for homework for tomorrow! #ultimatenotions!! And as I said already, no one will give credit to the business locally. Says it all really.

"And as I said already, no one will give credit to the business locally."

This is the crux of the problem I have with your comments. They're getting loads of praise from locals. I know so many people who are delighted with the place. I'm not hearing any complaints about it. You may have heard otherwise but I don't think it's right to make blanket comments about what Carrigaline locals think.

I don't get your comment about the staff either. I'm glad they're training them properly. You call it notions but it's just good service. Again, there's plenty of traditional pub options if you just want a nice pint with no fuss.

Someone doesn't understand what a business not receiving credit means in this context.

• Advertisement

But the person who opened Mabel Lane is not the same person involved with Black Rooster. Just realised that that was what the commenter said originally on the previous page. The Black Rooster owner has a few fast food businesses in the town but Mabel Lane is the same group as The Castle in Glanmire. Very different types of places

Sounds like you need to spend more time talking to locals and other businesses than being a wannabe!!

Btw Black Rooster isn't the name of that establishment with a while now!!!!

I know it's not, but you're the one who said the Mabel Lane owner was the same person who opened up Black Rooster before and wasn't getting credit etc. I don't know why you're getting so angry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Emanine

Can anyone recommend somewhere nice to eat in the early evening in Cork, with kids?;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Cotts72

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Are they tots, or bigger kids / teens?

Market lane is family friendly, has baby bowls.

Blackrock castle too.

Okura in douglas is popular with families because of the robot waiters.

I like da mirco for teens / preteens. Makes them feel grown up, and the food is fairly accessible for families, pizza and pasta.

There are loads of pizza places if the kids like pizza. Some more fancy than others.

The river club in the river lee hotel.

Liberty grill.

Luigi Malones... I'm slow to put it here, I am not mad about the place, find the food a bit ordinary for my tastes, but it is a nice setting for families, and the propeller from the first transatlantic flight in 1919 is on the ceiling, so that's cool.

If it's early early, like 3pm, then you are in cafe territory, Farmgate, tara's tearooms etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

Amicus mayb?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Never been there for dinner but have had lunch many times. Best spare ribs in Cork, imo! 😀

Apologies, last post was meant to be a reply to the Pearl River poster. 😞

• Advertisement

It's been many years since I stepped inside the door of Pearl River. Does it still look the same? Many days of lunches I spent in there £5 for 3 courses, I think it was 3, and the spare ribs were only massive!! Are you saying they're still as good?

Used to love Bombay palace, but it's been a while. Kids and Indian restaurants get expensive when rice is added to the bill.

I find dinnertime in the city next to impossible, for something decent and inexpensive. I also have a vegetarian and coeliac so my choices are limited.

For young children, it would probably be Scoozi as it's got a relaxed atmosphere. The food is grand, I found it was rather expensive last time in there.

Cafe Mexicana have a decent meal for 2 combo, and canbe as plain as you like, again, another relaxed place to dine with kids.

Wouldnt rate Luigi's tbh, very canteen feel about the place, cold surrounds imo. Milano would be another place to avoid, very overpriced pizza imo.

Dwyers is also a decent hang out. Busy, noisy and good food for lunch too, but a tad more adult orientated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

was in The Blackrock Castle Cafe again today - top marks in all regards.. gee - other establishments could learn from them

The Pearl River looks EXACTLY the same as it did the first time I walked through it’s door, over 25 years ago!

Lunch is now €15 (just went up recently, from €14) for 2 courses. It’s a lot to pay for lunch but is a big feed: full-size starter and main course portions.

The main courses are only alright (I generally choose the beef curry), fine but not memorable. It’s the spare ribs (starter) that are the real draw. Tender pork, falling off the bone, in an amazing sauce, almost like a gravy. EVERYONE having lunch (except noobs) orders them and the quality has never dropped over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Dropped into Paladar last night (Bridge St., was the Bridge Bar before that). Had been in there for drinks previously for drinks but tried the food this time. Didn't know what to expect, not sure if was a bar that had food as a side-offering, or a proper food joint.

It was absolutely delicious. The Manager recommended just having two dishes, but I did my best "I've eaten before, I know what I'm doing!" Had the chips (big chunky wedges with a tasty jalapeño aioli, would have been enough on its own!) and two dishes, a Brazilian fish dish (which was fine) and pork belly (which was absolutely gorgeous).

One hour later I'm sweating trying to finish it off, my belly's saying no more but my mouth is saying "shut up, it's too tasty to leave behind. and I can't let the manager know he was right!!". I'm not a massive portions guy anyway, so two dishes and the side were more than enough for me.

Only quibbles - the dishes come out as ready instead of together, which might not suit everyone. And they have coloured overhead lighting changing colours rapidly. Feels like eating inside a tacky '80s disco. :) But worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Has anyone eaten from here? I know that the cook in there makes good food as I have eaten his cooking, but I have never tried the food here yet. This is basically (quite authentic) South Indian food, on the spicier side (mainly aimed at the local Cork Indian community).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,280 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Was only talking to a work colleague from South India about this place yesterday - she goes there regularly so I take that as a vote of approval!

The food should be good definately - but will be different from the usual curries found in the 'Indian' restaurants here in Ireland...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ooh... I like the sound of that... Are they takeaway only?

I'd love a non veg version of Iyer's 😹

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Emanine

Yeah we ended up going there. It was really delicious, and just what we needed early evening. There was a massive queue outside, so my daughter (7) said she felt 'like a VIP' going to the top of the queue and walking in (as we had a booking) :-)

Advertisement