Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solve the housing problem easily...some solutions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

Well we have an airbnb property. It's just sitting idle at the moment. We have a booking for Xmas and that's it. There is no feckin way we would rent it long term due to all the risks involved and massive tax bill. The only thing that might change our mind is something like a rent a room scheme for small landlords...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

And there in lies the dilemma.

I fully agree with you, that as a small time land lord you're open to huge risk. If someone decides to trash your property or not pay rent, you're on the line for ten of thousands.

That being said, I don't think residential properties should sit idle. I don't think you should be punished, but if you do not need that property, then why not just sell it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

We cant sell it because of its planning status. Without going into too much detail, it is an ancillary building and cannot be subdivided. We tried to get this planning restriction removed but were refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I'm assuming its a convert garage or shed on a plot of land where the main building is the one you live in.

If this is the case, it's probably not suitable for long term rent or even to be sold.

AirBnB is effectively your only option.

I think we need stronger property controls over all, limit on the number of private properties a person is allowed to own

IE They can only own more that 2 if they've set up a limited company, it would extend to kids and spouses etc so that there would be a case where you own 2 and your wife/husband owns 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭macraignil

Still would appreciate an answer to my question on whether your suggestion to solve the housing crisis in Ireland is to kill the tourism industry here?

Another poster has detailed how important this industry is to the country yet you suggest removing from the market over 25,000 properties that allow people to travel to this country when they can't or don't want to stay in a hotel. The link I provided suggests between 2006 and 2019 the number of hotel rooms or similar in the country has dropped from 4,300 to 1,992 indicating hotel accommodation is only a fraction of the accommodation provided by the types of short term rentals you want to make illegal using your own figures. I don't agree with you that the flippant phrase "we're grand" is much reassurance to those whose way of making a living is dependent on tourism and as has already been pointed out in the thread some of these short term lets are not even suited to long term occupancy. Its my opinion that the market here for property is already over regulated and this contributes to the shortage of supply by making development more difficult. Your idea of introducing even more regulations in my opinion is not a practical solution as it generates very serious problems for the economy without fully addressing the main issue which is the need for improved development of new accommodation of all types.

Ok so your first mistake was counting hotels instead of hotel rooms. Do you honestly think we've only 1.9k rooms in the country?

Here, take a look at the graph on this page. Its interactive. Click the icon I've circled and it'll go full page and you can play around with it

Data is up to Mar 2022. Total rooms currently available at that point was 82,591 and beds 232,178, across 5,107 properties

Even during the Garth Brooks concerts, with 400k people coming into Dublin over a few days, the capital hit 92% occupancy.

So yeah, like I said, it'll be grand

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Well I'll take your figures to be accurate since I just typed the question into the search engine but even with the bed space in hotels at 153,625 the 25,000 short term let properties you want to ban must be a multiple of that in terms of bed spaces. Even with an average of three beds in the short term let properties that would be 75,000 beds you simply want to make unavailable for tourists. That could be a similar impact on the torism industry of closing half of the hotel beds in the country and you still think that "it'll be grand" is sufficient reassurance for the those working in the tourism industry?

If people are not able to access more affordabel short term lets because of your idea of making them illegal there will be significant numbers of tourists who will simply spend their recreation money somewhere else. Younger brother just came back from a holiday in the south of Portugal with accomodation renting a high quality apartment for 30euro per night (in their quiet season) and its hard to see that many people choosing to holiday here if the only similar option in Ireland are the high priced hotels.

Who said you have to stay in a high priced hotel?

There is accommodation to suit every budget. Personally I hired out a campervan for 2 weeks for my last holiday, but I've also camped in tents, stayed in hostels, B&B's and hotels.

Anyway, there is no proposal to ban airbnb yet so we'll have to wait and see how this latest attempt goes. I think its the 2nd or 3rd such attempt to quell the short term let market.

No doubt if it doesn't work we'll end up going down the route of further restrictions until we get around to banning the practice

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Rent of rubbish. The reason we are in the rental mess is the lads with 1-3 property are running to the hills. Why should they have to have a limited company if they have more than two.

We have all these micky mouse laws already. The farm house I have rented was derelict before I did it up. There was no que of people to buy the other one or the holiday home I bought. Loads of people turned there noses up at these sort of properties they still do to an extent.

There are I would say 100+ vacent properties between the two villages either side of me and there hinterlands.

None of them are short term let's either. Owners just will not risk letting them because of the carp that goes on.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I didn't say you have to stay in a high priced hotel but what I said is that a high priced hotel is a similar option to what my brother got for 30euro per night during his recent holiday in the south of Portugal.

The completion of houses during the property boom years in Ireland saw a peak of almost 90,000 in 2006 and the prices were still going up at that stage showing the market was there at the time for this number of houses. Banning 25,000 short term lets so a percentage of these might go to compensate for a colapse in production of new homes since then just seems very short term thinking to me and ignores the problems this generates in restricting options people have for accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

There were loads of options for accommodation before the short term rental apps came, there'll be loads after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

• Registered Users Posts: 25,919 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wow so we could go back to printed directories, updated annually, and sold in tourist information offices? Everyone will love that!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Definitely more regulation in rental sector needed. There is not enough LL leaving

https://epaper.independentnewsstand.ie/titles/irishindependent/5299/publications/2183/articles/1706531/1/1

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

@Bass Reeves Link is not working

Do you mean this?

“These surveys also showed that property owners, tenants, and agents found the regulatory framework and changing legislation difficult to navigate and understand,” Tom Dunne, chairperson of the RTB, will tell the Dáil committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Would you be against the concept of planning and planning regulations in general?

i.e. one where we have an authority that plans and controls such development for the overall good of society vs. a "free for all, everyone can do what they like with whatever they own" approach?

It doesn't appear to be the case.

You think that people would board up an asset worth hundreds of thousands and leave it to rot rather than either sell it, or rent it out to someone. The latter approach providing and income and ensuring the asset is maintained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,919 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No I would not.

But I was responding to a poster who wants to ban all short term rentals. Which would have very far reaching consequences.

I don't think there are any easy solutions.

If we take it back to basics, we either increase supply, or reduce demand.

While the government has tried to increase supply with limited effect, any further efforts will have knock on effects on other aspects of the economy. similarily with reducing demand, it won't come without serious economic and political consequences.

Which would have very far reaching consequences.

That's kinda the point, to have beneficial consequences on the long term rental market 😎

No doubt you'll retort with your usual 1+1=3 silliness though

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

unless we ship out all the younger people, demand aint going away anytime soon, and shipping them out would lead to a catastrophic economic and social collapse, so public building is the only real solution, only our governments have been resisting this only true solution all the way, it just means now we re far worse off than ever, and those main parties are now fcuked, so be it!

You have two immediate examples on this very page. I wouldn't convert a short term let to long term if short term was banned, doesn't make any sense in my circumstances, I'd risk losing access to my own primary residence. Same for the other poster who gave their example. Long term domestic rental, now more than ever is a pain in the hole in this country. Huge risk, massive tax, and reviled for providing the supply people actually need.

Over here on planet reality reducing supply = reducing supply = reducing supply. We are all watching this car crash, adding more shortage to an existing shortage really isn't going to help.

Until we invest in developing our trades and apprentices, supporting our builders, this problem doesn't go away. Govt can't build jack sh1t without builders , carpenters, plumbers etc. They're not a fairy shaggin godmother. Houses and apartments are built by people, by manpower we don't have.

And before that skills shortage matures, and it is even contemplatable to task a govt to take on public housing, in the short term we need to make it EASIER to boost supply, both rental and for sale.

Make it make financial sense to rent a place out when the occupant is in Fair Deal.

Make it make financial sense to rent out your house while you are away with work for a year.

Make it make sense to develop private derelict houses or vacant lots of land to sell / rent. Give a tax rebate on the development costs. Fast track the planning.

Planet waffle more like.

I might invest in plywood manufacturers. I'll be quids in when all these hypothetical 25k short term lets can't do it any more and decide to board up their properties and leave them to rot rather than sell them or rent them out.

If you aren't able to make renting out an average house in return for an average rent cover your marginal cost of doing so, then society needs to take that house from you. We can't keep subsidising incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It's easy to say 'ban Airbnb' when you don't understand the circus around long term rentals in this country.

Guaranteed, if the couple of 'anti Airbnb' posters here had property, they'd have it on Airbnb a hell of a lot quicker than offering it to the local council for rental.

As always, the Government passing the buck on their own shortcomings. As for Catherine Martin, another mess of a politician. The only thing we are generally good at in this country - tourism - and she wants to impact that. An absolute spanner.

It's clear what you're saying is coming from lack of experience.

I've been a landlord for over 20 years, and not just in Ireland. It's only the last 6 or so years it doesn't make sense here. And if that doesn't tell you something, you're just not listening.

I'd fecking LOVE the govt to buy all my irish residential properties off me, for the same money I paid for them. Let them at it. If I could I'd convert every single one of them into a shop or office.

Well you clearly haven't learned a lot - in spite of those 20 years.

Imagine being in a position that if you converted a short term rental to a long term rental that you'd risk losing your personal residence.

• Advertisement

Never sure if you are actually that willfully ignorant or being disingenuous.

Yes, it's shocking isn't it. That's the risk of squatting tenants in Ireland, and has been happening. If you want your personal home back after a period of letting it out, you are dependent on the goodwill of the tenant to hand it back. Or you take them to court for ten years at a huge cost.

What a system eh!

Advertisement