Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

URC 2022 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Benetton red card after 10 min v embra

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Plus a bonus point for Benetton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ospreys got a good shagging from the Bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

They supplied 9 players to Wales, outside the International window, and Wales lost anyway, so completely shot themselves there.

Ospreys fans must be livid with their Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

That chap has no luck with injuries.

Watching the Bulls highlights and I'm awed at the backline play. Very good players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Cardiff have just beaten the Sharks 0-35 in Durban. Which, y'know, is an utter shock.

• Advertisement

Head Coach Sean Everitt sacked on the back of this. They're 12th in the URC, with 3 wins and 3 losses. Losses came in this game, then against Leinster and the Stormers.

They've elevated another coach to take over for the remainder of the season, and it seems Noel McNamara's role is unaffected for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Director of rugby Neil powel is taking over till end of season.he was the blitzbokke coach before taking up the role of director of rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ospreys played Sharks yesterday and lost 25-10.

The Ospreys squad was effected by Ecoli with a number of members of the travelling party being sick.

So far this season 4 teams have gone to Durban. 3 have been effected by Ecoli.

What's the old saying. Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action.

This needs to be investigated properly. Are touring teams using the same facilities? Hotels? Training grounds? Restaurants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Blut2

Pretty strong odds its not "enemy action", the Sharks management are very unlikely to be risking their professional status to poison the Ospreys players in a relatively meaninglessness mid-season game of all things.

The visiting teams are probably all just staying in the same hotel or using the same training grounds and whichever it is has bad sanitation problems. Should be an easy fix with a bit of investigation you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Stormers are an absolute joy to watch. No idea why the Boks insist on Willemse at 10, Libbok is a baller and actually plays the position week in, week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The old phrase is enemy action but you are correct that I am not suggesting that the Sharks management is the enemy in question.

Just that there is someone in the chain with poor hygiene standards.

IIRC certain expenses related to foreign tours are paid for by the league so I would expect that given that 3 teams have had problems that the URC have a hotel or restaurant or training facility contracted with poor hygiene.

The URC need to do sufficient investigation that they can stand over the services they provide for clubs.

One of the possible causes investigated in relation to Glasgow and Ulster was both teams went swimming in the sea at a beach where swimming was forbidden for water quality and safety reasons.

No findings were announced in relation to Ulster and Glasgow. Do they have private findings in relation to their investigation.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

lions can jump from 9th to 5th with a TBP over scarlets today, and with a game in hand on those immediately under them.

they are already one try to the good at the moment, 8 - 0 up

the bokke derbies over the next couple of week will be very interesting, especially is sharks and lions take points off the other two.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bonus point try there for the lions.

Up by 22 with 3 mins left.

They're going 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

South African teams have definitely been a quality addition to the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Meanwhile Welsh teams occupying 3 of the bottom 4 spots..... again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

5 wins from 5 tonight by URC teams across Heino and Challenge Cup. Beating 4 French and 1 English side.

6/9 today makes it 11/14 going into the final day

#BestLeague

The statement from Benetton is PR garbage. They claim racism is not part of their culture and values, something that they have always demonstrated with "actions more than words"

... before failing to commit to a single action over this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That's absolutely jaw dropping.

Benetton have to go through due process with whoever is involved. Whoever is it will have to be sacked in due course though. Probably an Italian international too

Depending on how it was organized. As in if it was a blind draw. Then they could claim there is no way of knowing who it was. I doubt it would lead to a sacking. As bad as it is, I’m not sure it should lead to that either. Some serious re-education needed in the entire squad though.

None of that is specified. They don't even commit to an investigation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No one is getting sacked over this. Though they probably should be.

If it was a blind draw, you ask the guy to name who laughed, and suspend them all until the perpetrator owns up. Then you fire him.

They won't do anything close to this, but that's how you show that you actually take this seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,722 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I don’t agree about the sacking. I think it’s truly disgusting and ignorant behavior but I don’t agree someone should lose their livelihood over it. This may have been an ignorant joke. One a lot of team mates didn’t seem to have an issue with. Yes it’s racist and vile, they should face consequences but people are far to quick to demand people should lose their jobs.

What about the right of Traore to make a livelihood where his colleagues don't consider him sub-human?

He has that right. Does it require someone getting fired for that to be true?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yeah, I can see that point of view. I agree with the general point, and unfortunately the reality is that this is clearly accepted/normal behaviour in that environment so you would have a hard time making the argument that it is a gross offence.

If I did it in my job I'd expect a sacking to very much be on the cards though.

I mean, yes? What's the alternative? I've heard "education" being touted. How long must Troare (who has done absolutely nothing wrong here) be expected to wait for such an intervention to bring about tangible meaningful change in the attitudes of his colleagues? How long does he have to watch the club accommodate people that consider him below them?

As someone has already touched on, do you seriously expect to keep your job if you gave a black colleague a Christmas gift of a banana?

I think that probably depends on what country you are in. It seems like this might be endemic in Italy. The suggestion in the comment, was that it was accepted by the Italian players as just a joke. Which was possibly how it was intended too. It’s an opportunity for the club, the players and possibly the fans to learn that it isn’t an acceptable joke. I don’t think the player getting fired would achieve that though.

How do you know that simply coming forward and saying this won’t have that affect? If it’s willful racism, then no it won’t. If was ignorant joking, then it might have a serious impact. After all this is a teammate.

Oh there's no question Italy has a serious problem. This is the country where Lukaku complained of monkey chants by opposition fans, and his OWN TEAM'S FANS released a statement that the chants weren't a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It cannot be "ignorant joking".

Thats an impossible explanation of what took place here.

Its a racist gesture. It was meant as a racist gesture. It was reinforced as a racist gesture by those others present. It was received as a racist gesture by the player.

Its deliberate workplace racism and the only question is, what the total number of those to be fired for it will be?

Do you think Troare would prefer a public apology by his teammates. Accepting that this was totally wrong. Or have one of his teammates sacked?

What would you prefer?

Say you worked in the UK, only Irish person, and someone gave you a rotten potato and a copy of the penal laws for Secret Santa. A good chunk of the room laughs.

You'd feel ok coming to work each day after that?

Oh and to be clear, that'd be nowhere near as bad as what they did to Traore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats irrelevant.

Its about what the Club ought to do, under their code of conduct and under whatever employment and equality laws exist in Italy.

The player is not the arbiter. Nor should any victim be asked to be.

Well in that scenario I would go to HR and report what had happened. The context of how it was given would come into any investigation I am sure.

If you’re asking me would I seek to have the person sacked. No I wouldn’t, as I would imagine the workplace would become intolerable fairly quickly.

I am not defending the actions of this person or the team. I just don’t believe sacking the person is the appropriate response. Maybe you’re ok with people losing their livelihood, which is an easy decision from your armchair. I’m not, i believe that it’s an action that will bring more division than healing.

• Advertisement

Yes. From whatever chair I ever sit in, I'm confident that I will consider it more important for workplaces to be free from racist bullying, than for racist white people to keep "their livelihood".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Neither an apology or a firing is going to change the fact that the entire team thinks that is is an acceptable thing to do to a teammate.

I don't think I could stomach going back to work knowing that about the entire staff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's not the entire team. He said in his statement that some players, especially foreign players supported him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

I'd be interested in hearing what you think is the sensible way to approach this, genuinely.

You, and several other posters, are correct in saying that this type of racism is a commonplace in Italy. I lived there for five years and observed numerous instances of it. There were tricky situations where i was strongly tempted to hurt teenagers who were shouting this stuff at Africans in the street - bit of a dilemma that.

It starts from the top In Italy, leading figures in sport and politics think they're hilarious when they make jokes about black people and bananas etc and then try and brush off criticism on the grounds that it was just a joke. In Rome there's a rugby club with a strong antiracist/antifascist profile, and they get a lot of this crap at away games (aimed at them because of their politics not their ethnicity).

What can be done? I think you're right that sacking isn't the answer. A few options which occur to me, in escalating order:

- a significant fine, money to be assigned to an organisation of Traore's choice.

- identify those involved and oblige them to coach kids in areas with large immigrant populations (plenty of these in the Veneto where Treviso are based). Personal contact with people outside of one's usual social sphere is often the best medicine for these attitudes.

- dock points from Treviso in either the UCR or Challenge Cup i.e. hold the club responsible. When racist behaviours have consequences for the whole team and the financial success of the club, it will become clear to the players involved that there is a price to be paid for their banter, and the peer dynamics can be mobilised in a constructive direction.

Obviously any/all of these potential sanctions would have to be written into player contracts/competition rules.

• Advertisement
Advertisement