Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks Sean Quinn is a great businessman now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,748 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are the King of Whataboutery when it comes to defending those you support. Your total contribution to the thread has consisted of whatabout everyone else. Regulators can only act on information they have available. Criminals that build up secret shares through CFDs are by definition information that is not available to regulators, so whatabouting the regulator as your posts have consistently done is defending Quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Is it true that he bulldozed a fairyfort or is that an oul sceal?, I have one myself and would never touch it with machinery to be honest

What government regulation at the time made it easier than it is now for Sean Quinn to lose billions on CFDs?

The lad had billions and wanted more billions. Can’t blame Bertie or the Government for that.

He was a man who was extremely lucky with planning permissions, so probably true that he thought he could bulldoze a fairyfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Or there are people a bit in between.

Many people messed up for what happened to have happened - these people have suffered no real direct consequences (no worse that the rest of us) for not doing their jobs correctly.

Quinn is a good distraction from that very thing - that doesn't absolve him of blame - but the bigger picture needs to be kept in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,757 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You blanch are trying to restrict the conversation here, and to direct it to your usual soapboxing and we know why. You talk about 'omerta' on Quinn's side and ignore the very clear 'omerta' on the other side. As usual you don't want the full facts, you want the facts filtered through your own bias and agenda. Typical to be perfectly honest.

Was this 'omerta'?

In 2015, billionaire Denis O'Brien successfully applied for an injunction against RTÉ preventing the state broadcaster from airing a report on how O'Brien was receiving, with the direct permission of former CEO of the Irish Bank Resolution Corporation (IBRC)—the former Anglo Irish Bank, a rate of approximately 1.25% when IBRC should have been charging 7.5%. This in turn led to outstanding sums of upwards of €500 million. O'Brien then wrote to special liquidator Kieran Wallace to demand that these same favourable terms that were granted him by way of verbal agreement be continued. The Irish government later appointed Kieran Wallace to conduct an investigation into these same dealings. Wallace then cooperated with IBRC and Denis O'Brien to seek an injunction in Ireland's High Court to hide this information from the public.[85] High Court judge Donald Binchy granted O'Brien the injunction and told the court that certain elements of the judgment would have to be redacted. The Irish media therefore could not report on details of the injunction.[86]

Catherine Murphy's involvement[edit]

Catherine Murphy, TD, attempted to raise the issue in the Dáil on 27 May 2015. Seán Barrett ruled her contributions "out of order".[87] Murphy attempted to raise the matter again the following day, this time with more success.[88] Lawyers acting for O'Brien immediately forced the country's media to censor its own coverage, with some media outlets confirming they had received warnings from O'Brien's lawyers.[89] RTÉ reporter Philip Boucher-Hayes tweeted that Drivetime would play Murphy's speech; in the event, Murphy's speech was not broadcast and his tweet was later deleted.[85] Tonight with Vincent Browne (with Browne absent and instead moderated by Ger Colleran, editor of INM's Irish Daily Star) featured Colleran reading a statement from TV3 management asserting that no discussion about Murphy's comments would be allowed following letters from O'Brien's lawyers.[85] Foreign commentators covering these events for the international media suggested Irish democracy had been "wiped away at a stroke".[90]

I stand by my contention that Quinn was profoundly wrong and what he did when he went after the Bank deserves no support, but he clearly was outside the circle the wagons in this country were circled around.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The government was in favour of light touch regulation which is why it was so easy to get mortgage approval.

The banking regulator appears to have been completely unaware of the dealings within the banks - didn't Neary claim that the banks were all solvent on the night of the big bailout.

The absence of proper governance allowed for Quinn to try and do what he did. The man was a greedy fecker but had there been proper governance, he would not have been able to borrow billions from Anglo to try with the intent of buying Anglo. The absence of any sense of governance was why Quinn Insurance was operating with insuffucient reserves and was providing intra-business loans, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Sean Quinn

Sean Dunne

Sean Fitzpatrick

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - This thread was started over a decade ago, before there was a CA forum. AH is not the place for it, especially since it's revival in recent days (beginning on page 18)

Moved to CA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

One part I found amusing was where he said that quinn insurance became successful because when a claim came in, they just paid the money people were looking for and moved on.

Completely false, Quinn were successful because 1. they were cheap (esp. for younger drivers) and 2. they were absolute bastards to get money out of. They certainly didn't just give people what they wanted

It's a bit telling that he would casually spin it the other way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Jason Brennan and Kevin Larney did an outstanding series of podcasts on Quinn last year - went a lot deeper than RTE seem to have done. Some of the details they described around Quinn and the family tried to hide their money in Eastern Europe are ridiculous that they are almost hard to believe.

Blaming the regulators is a cop-out - Quinn's subsequent behaviour has shown that the contempt he had for any authorities trying to tell him what to do.

His downfall came from ego getting the better of him - he assumed because he was successful in his own area of expertise that he'd be able to apply his golden touch to whatever he wanted. He gambled massively and lost, and has now spend the best part of a decade and a half blaming everyone but himself for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Do lads think the IRA set up Sean Quinn? I can't see it tbh, in the 70s n 80s the ra had lads robbing banks etc to keep the show on the road. Putting millions in Quinn back then is scarcely believable. Fair enough the last 20 years could be credible.

I know lads that made it massive in the Celtic tiger that started with a digger n 8 wheeler, nearly all went bang when it calved. There is/ was serious dough in that game. It's more down to grit n determination than brains imo. The likes of Quinn would have seen buying n selling in the mart since he was knee high, you can't learn that stuff in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

This may be already answered as I haven’t skipped to the end.

If the 5 of trump is worth ten and you’re playing a 5 card game, that only makes 30 a hand.

I’ve played 35 before but it’s a 7 card game. Don’t think I’ve ever played with the joker, must ask my mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,790 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There is plenty of other stuff about that particular priest apart from this. He's not liked by many in that area and it's nothing to do with Quinn.

It’s 5, Jack, joker, ace of hearts from what i remember of playing it down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

I missed that bit. You are 100% correct there. The model was, insure anybody and fight and drive down any payout. So he was lying if he said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

The ads for it alone show what it'll be like. Him sitting there looking into the camera telling lies trying to turn the public narrative back in his favour. No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

As far as I'm aware, Quinn supplied concrete to the redevelopment of croke park when it started in the mid 90s. Interesting to know, based on his piece about customs and road closures, how he was able to take loads of ready-mix to Dublin so readily. Don't see an IRA link but seems to have been able to get things done that others could not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

This thread is almost as interesting as the program. No doubt in my mind the days of reckoning are fast drawing for many a character in those badlands. Plenty more of Quinns and his like. Will we even find out about them, methinks so.

Dan.

The only thing I would question is the fact that the Anglo people (Dunne and Fitzpatrick) knowingly gave Quinn false information as to Anglo being stable and safe when it certainly was not and neither suffered in the way Quinn did. Quinn being taken down suited a lot of other businesses with backers close to Governmant too.

• Advertisement

Indeed. I knew people who worked for him and they were sent out to try and settle claims with offers for injured parties usually with an upper limit of 10K. This included people with personal injuries before the case went to court and multiples of that amount were awarded.

Quinns trucks were everywhere around the country delivering loads by then.

I'm not sure what you think the IRA would have done but I somehow think that regardless of their involvement with Quinn (if any), the IRA would surely have been in favour of Croke Park's redevelopment.

However, having lived down that neck of the woods for some time and having met Quinn a few times, I don't recall anyone ever suggesting that there was IRA involvement in his business and this would have been the area where Don Tidey was held while kidnapped and where many believe that Shergar is buried - back in the 70s and 80s, the IRA had plenty of sympathy. That said, many of my neighbours there would have not had IRA sympathies but all looked on Sean as someone who did great work for the area (this would have been many years prior to his undoing)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,357 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

That first episode was just RTE gagging on Sean Quinn's member. Hopefully the second and third episode are a bit more critical.

There is an awful lot of spin, we have had posters spinning that it was all the regulator's fault and stupid nonsense about Quinn being outside the circle and stuff like that, all designed as whataboutery to defend Quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

I just dont know - I would love to think he is an honest man who just worked hard. Back in those days it was hard to get such large finance form banks. It was hard to get your foot in the door in the construction industry and compete with the likes of CRH. Sean Quinn it seems overcame finance obstacles and managed to convince the building industry to buy his products over established names. Hopefully no dirty money or bully boy tactics were used.

Im sure you would have to agree the violent tactics which occurred in Quinn country since Quinn lost control do raise questions. Who else is so annoyed with the situation to turn to violence - if Sean Quinn isnt involved in this than someone else lost out bigtime too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

A) - Croke park was re-built starting in 1993

B) - this thing (hint, also 1993) ......

Workin in that part of the country, you have to pay your tolls.

Businessmen from that part of the country know this, and have been helped to be succesful.

If their successors don't continue to pay the tolls... Well, there can be repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I didn't even bother with the first episode.

The second was always going go be the start of the juice.

Dunne and Fitzpatrick both went bankrupt as well as Quinn, how do you make out they didn't suffer the way Quinn did. After all, he is still living in his big palace in Cavan while Dunne is in exile.

• Advertisement

As someone who claimed that the regulator was not working effectively to oversee and govern the secotr, do you dispute this? However, I (nor others to my knowledge) made the claim that the regulator was at fault.

Quinn was at completely fault for what he did. However, the poor regulation of our financial services sector enabled him to do this. Surely you cannot dispute this?

Advertisement