Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OldCastle CC Adventure-X 2022 Date?

Options
  • 24-11-2022 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

Missed this last year. I see it was on December 29th. Does anyone know of the date for this year? Would like to get it pencilled in around work/holidays.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What is it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It lo9ks to be a cyclocross spin. Nothing mentioned about it in the facebook page but here's an old route...

Looks cool. I'd fancy that if it was on again this year. I've acquired a CX bike that's far, far too clean. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭meercat

It’s scheduled for 29th December again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭pairofpears

There are some slight route changes on the off road this year from talking to one of the guys from Oldcastle. It will be a good hard slog like last year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is it MTB only or would a CX bike get around?

I thought on their facebook it explicitly said cx and mtb? I hope I'm right cos it's a cx bike I'd be bringing!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Haven't even looked, thanks for googling that for me .

Well the facebook notice I looked up for it was actually from 2021 and it was a 50km event "suitable for gravel, cx and mtb bikes". So unless they've changed tack altogether we should be alright. I think there were other notices for different/longer distances as well so maybe they're not all cx-able. Presumably they'll put out an updated notice at some stage. - I can't access FB currently here at work.

I did it last year on a CX bike an no issues. One guy tried it on a steel Colnago with road cleats which was very brave.

The overall idea isnt changing so CX, MTB or gravel bike will be perfect but I believe they have access to some more land so the route may change slightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'll stick with my hardtail mtb for it. its reasonably quick on road and should do well off road.

Hardtail MTB will be well able for it. For some descents an MTB is the best job as one lane was just a rocky bumpy mess that a MTB would sail down with no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bikes1234

Hi All

Yes will be going ahead this year again just waiting for the permit to come back from cycling Ireland

Small changes to the route but Gravel CX or MTB Bike will do the job

On the 29th Dec at the show hall in Oldcastle leaving at 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭meercat

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Get to ride with cyclocross world cup series rider Frank McDermott!

Is there sign-on on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

well, really enjoyed this. first bike event in a long while, hurt my back before christmas so wasnt even sure I was going to get to do it.

course was great, almost all the road was quiet. really enjoyed the off road bits, the wall of death was managed. expected a field at some point, the uphill boggy field was a real kicker to the legs at the end. brought a few club mates, all will be back. Thanks to the organisers, very well run event, great fun.

Advertisement