Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Dogs Owners

Options

Comments

Pit bulls should be banned in any self-respecting country.

They're monsters, not pets. Might as well have a alligator in the back yard and hope it doesn't attack someone because it has the title of "pet".

They're fierce ugly as well. Why on Earth would anyone want one to begin with?

Regarding the OP, the dog should be put down and its owner jailed for a minimum of 5-years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

The problem is you could have a Yorkshire terrier and a bull breed living in the same house and the yorkie could be the most vicious little thing and the bull breed with a wonderful temperament.

The yorkie could nip you 100 times and not do any damage but if the bull breed does turn once it’s strength means it unfortunately can do serious damage . More reason to have a responsible owner for these powerful dogs . It’s not the dogs fault it’s the amount of dopes and fake hard men that own the breeds unfortunately

…German Shepherds, in the main, are kept by people who know dogs, respect dogs and have spent the time training that dog to a high standard. GS’s are very intelligent and treated correctly will make great pets, albeit a pet that will always need to be respected.

Many owners of pit bull type breeds, don’t tend to have the same understanding respect or commitment to training their dogs. They seem to be more of a fad or a fashion statement to go with their chav clothes and gold neck chains. Yes there are responsible pit bull owners out there but there are many who aren’t - more so than say irresponsible GS owners- far more

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Section 21 deals with the civil liabilities, not criminal ones. My post was in response to a point regarding criminal offence.

Out of interest, what penalty did you observe in court when you saw these owners being prosecuted quite severely? The act does not mention a prison sentence of more than a month for any offence defined within it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,761 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ye i agree with you ,

Iv never had a dog breed as intelligent as a GS , fantastic family dog but need space & need your time especially when they are young .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭BurnUp78

These maulings happen weekly in the US and it's almost ALWAYS a pitbull or a pitbull mix. How people can still say it's not the breed when the mountain of evidence points that it IS the breed. It's not just kids they maul they also maul a staggering amount of smaller pets such as dogs and cats because their prey drive is sky high and when they get out unleashed turn absolutely feral

Heartbroken for the child and his family :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

It's not just pitbulls. It's many different types of dogs. People ultimately don't mind the cost as long as they have their pets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I've seen owners paying over a thousand euros in fines per dog (there were occasional cases where 2 dogs were involved), which had stacked up relating to dogs not being under effectual control, not being muzzled, not being on lead, not having ID tags etc, plus in the same cases the judge imposing damages of up to €8000 to be paid to the victim to cover medical expenses.

In some of these cases, the dogs were ordered to be euthanased, in others, they weren't.

For interest's sake, in a couple of cases, the owners were held further liable for the cost of keeping their seized dogs impounded whilst appeals were heard, which came into several thousand euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It would now be a class D fine, up to €1000 on summary conviction. Still a pittance for someone who should have known the danger this dog presented but still let the dog out of control in a public area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Owners need to be made to be responsible.

Bad owners should be punished before any dog does any damage like this.

Prevention - No off lead in a housing estate, ever.

There is not enough enforcment as it is, just putting down a dog afterwards.

Would like to see more owners, fined, jailed & banned for having a dog if they cannot act respsonibly.

Ownership is a privilege, not a right.

(Dog owner & lover)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Packrat

Every time this happens the fans jump to the defence of pit bulls with a bunch of whataboutery.

They are exactly the same as the "it's not the gun its mental illness" shower in the US.

And just like them, there is no amount of children who must be mauled and maimed which will change this warped thought process.

There is NO justifiable reason to own or propagate this breed or their hybrids.

Reasoning with these people doesn't work, so legislation must be enacted to make owning one of these dogs a crime with punishment similar to owning an unlicensed firearm.

Up to 10 years in jail might concentrate their minds.

It's past the time for discussion.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Butson

These breeds need to made extinct, end of story.

You have other dogs on the dangerous list like German Sheppard's, but when trained and handled correctly these dogs do great work, like with the police etc.

What do Pit Bulls bring to the table?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 somewhere45

Ban them. Simple as that. Including cross-breeds.

Denmark did it all the way back in 1991 due to too many incidents like this.

"Punish the deed, not the breed." = Give me a break. Its up there with "Guns don't kill people, people kill people". 1 incidents is 1 too many. Time to get the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The path of that child and his family's lives are ruined. The poor fella will suffer the life long long consequences.

I've been having robust debate with my missus who has owned 2 pitbulls. She absolutely adores them and no doubt was a wonderful owner to them. But for me they are too risky a breed, I'd never have one in the house or around kids and this story and many others just solidify my position on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I saw a video of the alleged dog involved & it certainly does not look like a Pit Bull. The video itself is disturbing & the dog looks like it is one of the so called XL Bully types. I say type as these are not a recognised breed though they do have their own support organisation. They are frequently seen out with some very undesirable owners & are the latest fashionable dog.

I'm not even sure if the Restricted Breed list covers ownership of these dogs.

Too many people just bandy about the word Pit Bull when they are not sure of the type of dog involved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The pictures suggest a Presa Canario, not a Pit Bull Terrier or breed cross at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,482 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

What did the guards do when the previous attack was reported? You'd hope all necessary measures were taken to get this dog off the streets.

The owner should be imprisoned...absolutely deplorable act of negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

There is a video and it is not a Presa. In the video the dog was being encouraged to rag/hold onto a toy by a fairly rough character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

There could be a question whether an attack by a dog could lead to a prosecution of the owner / person responsible for the dog being prosecuted under section 13 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act.

13.—(1) A person shall be guilty of an offence who intentionally or recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of death or serious harm to another.

If a dog had displayed a propensity for or had a history of attacking and was allowed, unrestrained and unmuzzled in a public area, particularly if this was in breach of resticted breed regulaions, it would seem to be reckless, from a layman's view anyway.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—

(a) on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both, or

(b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 7 years or to both.

The penalties for conviction under section 13 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, if applicable, might prove a greater deterrent.

On summary conviction, that would now be a class C fine (€2,500) or up to twelve months imprisonment, or both.

On conviction on indictment, that would be a class A fine (€5,000) or up to seven years imprisonment or both.

If applied, that might focus the mind of negligent / reckless ownes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Owners should face a manslaighter charge for something like this - simple as.

Let them defend themselves in front of a jury.

Would make people think twice about buying a dog in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

There are two solutions here.

1. Ban breeds which are statistically likely to seriously injure people, or:
    2. The owners need to be punished as if they themselves have injured the victim. Mandatory custodial sentences, no mitigating factors, full personal liability, no exceptions. Require insurance for all breeds.

Many people use dogs to intimidate, we've all seen them on the street. The Gardai know who they are. They use a dog rather than a knife precisely because they have plausible deniability and the perfect excuse when they do set it on someone.

If you own a dog which is capable of inflicting such injuries, intended or not, are you're so incompetent that you let if happen, well then lets consider that criminally negligent, and apply the above penalties.

Writing to my local TDs. Enough is enough. Full ban is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Anyone who thinks that certain breeds of dogs are somehow immune to violence, particularly unpredictable violence, are utterly clueless and should absolutely not be entrusted with any sort of dangerous breed.

The worst combination is a bad owner with a dangerous dog breed but that still leaves the fact that certain breeds have a propensity for violence and should never, ever (1) be near children full stop and (2) be allowed in public unless neutered, muzzled and on a lead. To not accept this is to not appreciate the risk and therefor the owner, regardless of their good standing in society, is not capable of having a dangerous breed.

I had to push the issue in an apartment block we lived in before as one owner used to let his Pitbull out for a wee in the common garden area with no leash or muzzle, even though kids played out there. The owner was a stubborn, selfish fool who made the usual argument that "my dog wouldn't attack anyone" but that is just ignorance. Once I pushed it with the management company and cobbled a few of the residents together we were able to get the owner to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yeah, that's part of what the case before he High Court that I mentioned earlier is about (https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/parents-of-boy-attacked-by-dog-challenge-authorities-over-refusal-to-investigate-1322570.html)

The plaintiffs are claiming that the Gardaí should have investigated the attack on their child under that Act, but they refused to. Bit mad that you'd have to go to the High Court to get the Gardaí to investigate your child being bitten on the face by a dog and requiring emergency surgery, but here we are.

• Absolute joke we’re even discussing whether or not there’s merits to pit bulls and similar breeds. There is not.

The fact is they were bred to fight, they’re not domestic pets they’re vicious dogs designed to kill other dogs.

Lions and tigers if raised properly around humans can be as harmless as a kitten, but with the potential for devastation. But we don’t accept those as domestic pets, under the guise of “well they’re just big cats really, it’s about how they are raised!”

i like dogs, all my neighbours have them and I find them hilarious to watch and great to interact with. I would not like a neighbour of mine to get a pitbull & I personally wouldn’t be phased if they were all killed in the morning.

If an animal is dangerous— and these are dangerous, get rid of it. I can’t actually conceive a reason not to. I guess some people would be upset their dogs were killed. But I’d rather that than seeing what’s happened just a few doors down from me happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The idea that a pit or other dangerous breed is harmless with the "right" owner, simply doesnt stand up to scrutiny either.

The US has a long list of these attacks, and in a large number of cases the owners were "good owners" - and sure wasnt the pet just the friendliest thing, he/she would never hurt anyone or bark etc. Taken for plenty of walks, not abused in any way. Some of these breeds are just not safe.

I mean for gods sake look at what pits were bred for! They are genetically designed to these types of aggressive behaviours. The good pits who go their life without maiming anything are the exception not the rule

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Correct should be charged with attempted murder. Everyone of those dogs should be rounded up and destroyed the facts speak for themselves they are a dangerous breed and should be illegal.

On a separate point I'll never understand why people keep Dogs as pets. Why would you keep a potentially lethal danger to a child in your home? Why would you want to spend your evenings walking a dog around in the cold carrying a bag of shite in your hands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

The dog owner should hopefully face jail and pay for this poor lad's future medical expenses..

Advertisement