Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well, women's rights is an odd one to hang your hat on here. Again, despite years now of these seethig, frothing, women-hating migrants incessantly multiplying, women's rights and the awareness of women's issues grows better and better all the time in these Western countries where apparently we are all being dragged back into the past by pesky migrants.

And what about Charlie Hebdo? Anyone can acknowledge the problem of Islamic fundamentalist terrorism without pretending that the world's one billion Muslims are all plugged into a Borg culture of wanting to butcher people. In my own lifetime, as a northerner, innocent people were being shot and blown to pieces by white Loyalist and Republican fanatics who were homegrown right here on this island. Any assertion that these atrocities were reflective of some cultural predisposition of people within the six counties towards bloodlust would be rightly laughed out the door.

Finally, the "ethnic breakdown of the prison population" is not some brilliant masterstroke. Crime is linked to deprivation and poverty — and very often migrants end up in deprived areas. Those deprived areas were once full of Irish people, and as education standards (among other things) Irish people were able to move up the ladder, and the gap beneath them has been filled by migrants. And if it wasn't filled with migrants it would still be filled with Irish people. I mean, there was a time when the prison population of Ireland would have been pretty much 100% white Irish right ? And it would be ludicrous to say that that this is reflective of Irish society being a criminal culture, right ? Like do you really believe that when you cite some demographic as being disproportionately represented in the prison population, that it's fair to make the bald statement they are coming from a culture where the entire populace are just yearning to commit crime ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

When did homosexual get de listed. My mates my age still use it not LGBT. Is it an age thing with some of the LGBT comunity. Been Bi in the past when I was younger but got a wife now. I don't get the need for 5000 words for LGBT. All I have ever heard them say is Gay or Homosexual. Or stop having your cake and eat it x....l 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

Perhaps we can agree women's rights in many parts of the world arent good? Women arent educated, they dont get proper jobs, they have less rights, they have to dress a certain way? Do you think immigrants from these cultures suddenly change when they come to Ireland?

This is anecdotal evidence, but I've spoken to a lot of women that say they feel that certain ethnic groups dont respect them.

In the UK, black people are about 6 times overrepresented in the prison population. I'll agree poverty is part of the problem. However why does Ireland want to import this problem?

With respect, you constantly saying everything is grand with multiculturalism isnt really much of an argument when people can clearly see there are massive problems with multiculturalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Even the whole "import" language shows how some constantly like to dehumanise.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

There's nothing dehumanising about it.

You're just making things up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

If multiculturalism is so great, why is Europe hogging it? Isn’t this just colonialism without leaving home? Why aren’t we multiculturising Ghana, Nigeria, Ethiopia?? Why aren’t the rabid left travelling in numbers to bring this utopian ideal to Africa or Asia?? Don’t we want Africa to have this amazing multiculturalism??

Bit racist if you ask me……….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

Hilarious that you think this is a good argument.

He's making a good point.

Why should Western countries suffer under mass immigration in ways that most other countries in the world do not?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Most people don't think we "suffer" under mass immigration.

If we didn't have the influx of immigrants here in the 80s and 90s we'd still be driving around smoking Major in Nissan Datsuns with a 17% unemployment rate.

Yeah but like what does women's rights not being good in other parts of the world have to do with anything here? The point you seem to be trying to make is that people coming from those countries are inescapably trapped in some sort of cultural hypnosis and therefore bring their "bad" culture here, thus diluting our "good" culture and causing regression of liberal values. But that doesn't appear to be happening.

And it's hard not to notice the irony in pointing out the plight of women (and other groups, like gay people) in some countries while simultaneously appearing to argue that we should effectively make it much harder for them to ever reach the West where the would benefit from the liberal system here.

In terms of "importing" problems. Sure, migration will undoubtedly bring problems and there will be migrants who commit crime etc. But it's hard to put in place the aspirational wishes of many for a perfect immigration system without creating homegrown issues. The fact remains that as education standards have improved in Ireland, the Irish population has moved "upwards" in terms of career aspirations. So in that "lower tier" (which is a horrible expression but just for the sake of making the point), many migrants fill in where the Irish have moved up. And that cycle goes on — much in the same way Irish Americans and Italian Americans etc came in largely at the bottom, their descendants gradually moved up. Of course, that's not always the case, and that's why you see this theme of bitterness towards migrants getting things that 'native' people don't etc etc.

"Importing problems" does not necessarily entail that we take measures which create homebaked problems in the form of something like an ageing population crisis or labour shortages etc.

• Advertisement

Ah the classic sway to "...but without immigration, we'd be screwed in this country".

Not one person in this thread has suggested pulling up the drawbridge and living in the 1960s.

Of course we need migrants, and they're more than welcome.

But that's not the question.

The question is are there too many migrants? Is multiculturalism causing ghetto-isation of society? Do we have control over migratory waves?

The answer to the first two questions, to me at least, is a resounding yes. All you need to do is look at the state of Dublin at the moment. And the answer to the last question is no.

We are full. There isn't enough accommodation, or GP appointments, or school places to deal with the current rate of flow of migrants. We also have no control over the quality and quantity of migrants entering the country. You cannot plan ahead for a country if you cannot know the number of people likely to enter the country.

I repeat: nobody is saying we should allow no migrants into the country. It's a false characterisation of our position.

Is that finally clear? Good.

I don't really get this point, but will try to respond.

Multiculturalism isn't necessarily an ideal. Hell, maybe the world would be better off if we are still in our little homogenous tribes cut off from each other. But that just isn't how reality unfolds. It is natural for humans, and indeed other animals, to migrate to places where conditions are better for them.

Improved living standards means longer life expectancies and bigger populations, which means more people who are potential migrants. Improved transport means easier and safer travel. The Western liberal order and the safety and tolerance it promises offers a good destination. Modern multiculturalism is simply the inherent reality created by these circumstances. And that's before you even get on to the other realities of war, famine, persecution and climate change that will continue to cause displacement of people.

So i don't think that multiculturalism is an ideal that we should necessarily preach, but rather it's an inevitability that we are much better learning to deal with (both its upsides and downsides).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

We got there eventually.

You admit "migrants will undoubtedly bring problems".

We've already got plenty of problems in Europe without importing more. If Europe needs temporary workers we should bring in temporary workers. Give people a 5 year visa, then after 5 years they go home. We shouldn't be handing passports out to people just because big business needs cheap labour.

The Spanish have been coming here for 500 years.

Seems like a fairly cheap shot there, i don't think I ever said or claimed that migration doesn't bring problems with it. No system is perfect. Even the system you are talking about there is problematic — because it just papers over the myriad of socioecononic complications it would bring. 5 year strict limit for deportation? OK. What if a company really likes a certain employee and doesn't want to replace them ? What if a migrant worker finds the aspiration to claim citizenship as something which motivates then to participate positively in society ? What if a migrant gets pregnant or an Irish woman is having a kid with a migrant? Should it also apply morally to Irish people abroad?

You will no doubt say that in your ideal system, everything would just work out. On a case-by-case basis, the good migrants would get around the 5 year limit and the bad ones would get booted out. It would all just work like clockwork.

What the detractors of multiculturalism seem to want is a perfect immigration system where only the best and brightest get through and then we only take in exactly as many lower skilled migrants as is exactly needed for a particular task and then then with tidy efficiency everyone just happily leaves and the new perfectly tailored crop comes in. Everyone is happy, the system is perfect and now migration brings only benefits with no downsides.

And perhaps a letter from Hogwarts might come in through the door too.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

You don't find Governments in S Korea/Japan/Thailand/Brazil/China/Ethiopia/ etc etc etc...(essentially most of the world) going to extreme lengths to generate mass immigration. The only exception are the Gulf Oil monarchies which operate a modern form of indentured servitude where all understand that time limited contracts will be enforced and very restricted rights apply. There is no pathway to citizenship for example and GCC citizens concerns and needs will always be paramount. Were you to suggest to a Thai or a Korean or a Senegalese that their culture was somehow lacking and would be greatly improved by bringing in a potpourri of millions from across the globe.. it would sound to them not only preposterous but borderline insane. EU Govts act as if national identity drawing on a unique culture, in our case Irish identity, is a dangerous mental disorder that can only been cured by multiculturalism. To Hell or Connaught.

Tbh, I dont think Ireland needs many non EU immigrants.....Spanish youth unemployment is about 30%. Ireland could get millions of EU immigrants that will speak english and be culturally compatible if required....

Of course Ireland should also accept high skilled immigrants like scientists/ directors etc. However the number of non EU scientists in ireland must be small....

However the main problem ireland has is giving free money and houses to whoever turns up..... I walk about Dublin and the number of Roma gypsies is staggering. I just dont see what they have to offer Ireland...

Your view on this just seems naive to be honest. The global employee market isn't some sort of shop where we can casually decide what we get. If you want to attract highly qualified European talent to a grey sky, rainy, wet place like Ireland, it has to be an attractive place to come to. That means competitive conditions need to exist for European migrants here. If you want young Spanish graduates here, rather than in our competitor economic centres like Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Brussels etc, then part of that is being able to offer the same freedom of movement offered there.

The other side of that is that in a somewhat porous system like that, you will sometimes have migrants entering the country who will not be economically productive. Derogations under EU law would allow you to require their exit but often human rights concerns can kick in (again this is the other side of the coin to the upside of living in a country where rights are taken seriously).

The Roma community have been in Europe for centuries and have consistently faced prejudice and even persecution. I imagine there is a reasonable number of small businesses out there who would prefer not to hire a Roma "gypsy". Marginalisation in society can make integration harder to achieve.

I do tend to find though that most people who bemoan the Roma have actually never spoken to a Roma person or done anything proactive to help their integration. Instead they just stereotype then and unwittingly contribute to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

The Romas face prejudice because of how they act everywhere they go. Why would anybody hire somebody that doesn't want to work? At some point the community needs to try and improve itself, they are given the same opportunities but choose to continue to live as they do. Why should everybody else be expected to change to suit them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Ah so its the Irish that are the problem .

Not the Roma who came here to live on welfare from the start.

Got ya. Its all clear now.

If only the Irish werent so open in letting foreigners come here and enjoy generous welfare for their large families who have no connection to the state .

With no Roma in Ireland there would be no mean Irish treatment of them.

There wouldnt be all the problems caused by the 'racist' Irish in feeding, clothing and accommodating the poor Roma who are coming to live in Dublin in very large numbers. Look around Dublin city centre on any given day.

Because obviously the Irish are pushing the Roma to come to Ireland, if only we left them alone.

Some folks have crazy logic.

We import objects not people and using lanuage about importing people is absolutely part of the ideological language of dehumanisation.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Sometimes a lot worse than stereotyping. There was a post here a few weeks pretty much supporting mass genocide of Roma. A few weeks ago someone openly said on this site it would have been preferable if all Roma had been gassed rather than Jews in the holocaust. And people deny theres racism on this site. 😶

Terry Pratchet

Language is flexible, hence the use of figurative speech:

departing from a literal use of words; metaphorical.

"a figurative expression"

If puritans had their way, poetry and fiction would not exist because somebody would come along and claim offense about their application of figurative language. When we say that "...the athlete was on fire today", we are not saying the athlete was literally burning to death on the track. It's borderline embarrassing that we have to point this out to you.

It's also funny that you care quite a lot about the word import - just to claim *manufactured* offense in my opinion - but have forgotten that we use the word deport all the time in the opposite but same context.

Similarly, we don't want to import bad ideas into this country, and we can be sure as hell that many Islamic countries have very bad ideas when it comes to gay rights and women's rights. Bad ideas ain't objects either, by the way, before you start complaining about that too.

In summary, you're talking absolute nonsense. As usual, by the way.

Cherry picking two cases of nut-jobs, and then extrapolating that out to everything else.

That's another logical fallacy right there.

You're on form today, @Annasopra.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well that's just complete and utter unadulterated nonsense. The reason we had an "influx of immigrants" was because we weren't "driving around smoking Major in Nissan Datsuns with a 17% unemployment rate". And it wasn't in the 80's or most of the 90's either. I dunno what planet you were on back then, if you even were, but no. For a nice change here's some actual facts:

Oh look, no "influx" at all in the 80's and for half of the 90's. It only started to climb after our economy was already on the up and goes steeply upwards from 2000 to 2005, easing off a bit after the Tiger sickened and in the case of extra EU migration the jus soli loophole was closed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It says a lot theres almost no condemnation anywhere on the site about the calls on the site for ethnic genocide of Roma.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If we want young Spanish graduates here we also need housing for them and an overall good environment to attract them. Being so full up that extra EU migrants need to be housed in commercial buildings and hotels does not do it. Ukrainian refugees I support and understand, but we need to cap this yesterday. We've now brought in per capita the same as Germany, the highest in the EU, only they cost significantly more per head. We simply don't have the room. If we don't cap it now, we're quie likely to have even more as the Russian pricks pummel civilians and civilian infrastructure because their tinpot army couldn't do it.

And before the usual bleating of this is a government issue and we could build more blah blah, yes it is and yes we could, but we don't have the room now. handwringing and wishes don't put roofs over heads. The sink is overflowing now. So we can shout about needing a bigger sink that's years away or y'know turn down the tap like anyone with an IQ into double figures would do.

And we have control of this tap. This bull from both supporters of this idiocy who say it's our duty as members of the EU, and the idiots who blame the EU for everything, it's not the EU's fault. The Danes have massively tightened up their borders to non EU people. They're in the EU. the UK got out of the EU and their immigration has gone up. This is down to us, our government. Any screwups we're seeing emerge are ours.

And then we have the "refugees" from places like Georgia, Albania et al, nearly half of whom tear up their ID's on the plane ride here. Not too many Ukrainian women and kids there. None in fact. Economy and welfare shoppers coming here on the back of moronic empty promises from the likes of O'Gorman who widely advertised such promises, with the support of eleventy dozen overlapping NGO's sucking at the same teat. That's on us too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That’s patently rubbish, the education system and our English speaking population was in place decades before loose immigration became a reality circa 2004 ,Japan is ultra modern yet has extremely tight immigration laws

The graph you posted shows a big increase in migrants in the 70s and 80s. Tens of thousands of people. Loads of of them here to lay the groundwork for Intel, work for Apple, for banks, big pharma etc.

Growing up in the 80s I had Japanese (finance), American (tech), Indian (medical) and Swedish (tech) neighbours. All in good jobs and all here to work and start Irish operations here.

• Advertisement

So we could be like Japan?

We just need a Tokyo Stock Exhange, Honda, Toyota, Sony, Softbank, Mitsubishi, Nippon et al.

They had that and we had Major and Nissan Datsuns. And mass.

Actually Nissan is Japanese aswell.

Advertisement