Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭DBK1

I only listen to the radio in bits and pieces during the day but I find Pamela ok. Definitely much easier to listen to than Mairead Ronan. Although she does seem to be very active across the whole station alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

When you say “they,” there’s probably few (if any) of the same managerial staff there from that time so it’s not exactly the same.

Where did the Mastermind series come from, does anyone know? I would wonder if she had the idea herself and that’s how they ended up doing it with her hosting. The only other alternative to her hosting it that I can realistically imagine would be Ray Foley, but Pamela Joyce has more Instagram followers which may have something to do with it. I thought she did well with the series anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Ed Smith on this afternoon again - he was on last Saturday too. So good to hear him on daytime, the best voice on that station imo. I wonder is it a permanent thing or is he filling in? He doesn't mention that he's filling in for anyone...

Oh, he just mentioned he's in for Louise Cantillon....

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

The poor variety of music is turning me off the station no matter who the presenter is. I listen back to Ed Smith during the day, but even his playlists get samey. Miss Paul Mcloone's show

Its not that many years since Christmas music wasn't heard on any radio station until at least the 8th of December... more recently it moved back closer to December 1st. But this year, Today FM are at it since the 2nd week in November! Of course its not for any really festive reasons... its just yet more shilling by Today FM / Baeur media, this time its their incessant promotion of their "Go Loud" Christmas station. At least its 3-4 minutes where they're not talking about the cash machine.

Larry Gogan is spinning in his grave....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ULMarc

I can hear Mariah Carey going off at the other side of the house at the minute. I don't care enough to go out and turn it off. But it's really killing my Christmas anticipation buzz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

You should have a look at the Christmas FM Thread in the Christmas Forum. A number of people (including me sometimes!) have been tuning in online to Christmas FM already - it has presenters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Ray Foley filled in for Ian Dempsey in the breakfast show and the 90 minutes or so I heard of it every morning this week was very good.

I think Ian, likeable and all as he is, has gone really stale and there was a nice refreshing air about the show this week.

I think Foley would be a good replacement for Ian whenever he retires.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Foley was being groomed as Iano's replacement many moons ago, so they sent him to 98fm to do the breakfast show there.... and well that went terribly, breakfast show is more formulated that most radio slots and Foley shines when he goes off script/tangents which he wasn't able to do as much. He even said himself he hated working mornings after a couple of years.

But then again his breakfast show in RedFM was very good. And he certainly seemed to be enjoying himself there.

By all accounts his stint on 98FM was just a bad fit all round, for all sorts of reasons. I've heard him fill in for Ian too and he seems to slot in very well there, I'd say he definitely would have ambitions to take that slot permanently. The "gift grub" segment sticks out like a sore thumb though when anyone other than Dempsey is presenting.

However - Iano is not going anywhere anytime soon. He's still the most listened to Breakfast show presenter in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Can’t deal with these pre-December Christmas songs. Who’s deciding this?

it seems to be an unwritten agreement that you only play them from December 1st, but there has been no banter about that with presenters, it was straight in no messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Ah ye big grinch Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

You like unscripted, but can't get enough of Foley, the most scripted show on the station? It's painfully obvious when they go off-script, the pregnant pauses and dead air. Complete opposite of Dermot & Dave.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Foley has a structure but they go unscripted all the time. It's what a lit of people love about the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

I near did myself a damage today trying to turn off Alexa when I heard Shakin Stevens blasting on Nov 20th

• Registered Users Posts: 27 matrix mick

I'm sorry but this is laughable. Dermot and dave are the most scripted show in the world.

Every single topic they discuss ,dermot will pick up the opposite opinion to dave and you can clearly hear that he doesn't actually believe in it.

It's like good cop, bad cop.

Louise Cantellon is a pleasant listen when I tune in at times over the weekends.

Just hope they don't flog her doing 5 hours a day over Xmas just as she is getting into her stride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Both Foley & JP and D&D will start off from - if not a script, at least an outline. In my experience, and yes, it's subjective, Foley & JP will run with it for quite a while and it's more obviously more scripted. "Then you say this, then I say that, then I'll play the Awooga hooter, then we'll ad-lib for 30 seconds before the news" And then they'll run out of steam, there'll be pauses, dead air, etc. D&D will start off with a topic and might have notes about points to hit, but seem to be just better at the ad-libs or letting a tangent grow legs and running with it. Especially if Noni is involved. One show I love, the other, I switch off. All purely subjective, as I say, and clearly I'm in a minority, going by the JNLRs. Just don't get it, myself.

(Edit to add): Their "humour" this afternoon consists of a some sound effect that's supposed to be them shuffling through a bag or a tin or something? Yes, Ray, play that sound effect another 6 times and tell us the amusing thing you found, you're hilarious... 🙄

Post edited by TaurenDruid on

She needs to stop trying to fit as many words as possible into a sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭nomoedoe

Ray played it this afternoon again,between the Christmas songs and the cash machine I’m turning TodayFM off more now ,i like Christmas songs but in December when Ian traditionally played the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I think it is because the build up to Christmas is cropping up everywhere and now effectively starts in shops in October. Christmas FM is now a significant presence in a lot of people's lives and the live broadcasts have started earlier online since the pandemic started, ahead of the FM temporary licence launch. All of these factors are subtly, or maybe not so subtly, putting pressure on regular radio stations like Today FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its just the way modern society had gone.

Take Black Friday, that's another example. Used to be a certain day, then retailers couldn't wait for the one day and we now have early Black Friday deals about 2 weeks before the actual date.

Black Friday wasn't even a thing here *at all* until relatively recent years. It is, after all, the day after a USA holiday. Now we are plagued with Harvey Norman ads for it a month in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Think I'm finally done with Today FM, listened to Dermot and Dave for about 45 mins from 9am this morning. Cash machine usual promo at the start of the show after the news, an ad for it around 9.20 and at 9.45, they announced they were going to speak with the latest record winner after an ad break.

They are also mentioning their Digital Christmas music station as well the whole time. It's really painful stuff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Same here. How they allowed to blatantly advertise it as much as they do is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

The promos are bad enough but some DJs are working in "content" revolving around it as well such as the interview with the latest winner example I mentioned.

There's no getting away from it bar turning off the station. I hope more do.

I wonder does The Last Word still do occasional pieces about the ills of gambling. There were often vocal on it.

Now I usually dip in and out of TLW but I've not heard that topic covered in a while.

Would be hard to do it when at the same time you have to encourage your listeners to part with €12.50 a week to play your little game of fun I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

As evidenced by email responses to listeners, Bauer's official line is The Cash Machine is a game of memory skill and not a lottery and therefore falls outside of the gambling remit and is not a conflict of interest in any current affairs debate on gambling.

Advertisement