Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we integrate Unionism into a possible United Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

Ireland possibly did, however I seem to remember a referendum. Anyhow, we're not discussing ROI. We are discussing unionism. So you say the mainland government disagreed with unionists and went over their heads re abortion services. What's to stop them doing the same with the protocol?

And just to go back to the original point, don't these issues contradict your statement that the UK is the Union? It doesn't seem completely unified to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You'd think, wouldn't you? I mean, it'd make sense.

But we have the evidence of our own eyes before us. The political establishment in Great Britain is committed to hard Brexit, and regards that as a greater priority than the health and welfare of the Union.

This is a bit of a problem for NI unionists who find themselves committed to a union with a country that, it turns out, is not all that committed to a union with them. That brings on a kind of existential panic that we can see being played out right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

I didn't bring up the subject of abortion. I don't think the mainland government disagreeing with the NI unionists over this indicates serious disunity.If your suggestion was correct, would that mean Ireland and the European Court of human rights disagreeing over abortion issues indicates disunity?

I believe the protocol is good for NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

I have never agreed with brexit.I'd like to see the tories out and a much closer relationship with the EU.

It wasn't a dig at you, Freddie, honestly. More at the DUP and other Unionists who backed hard Brexit and who continue to back it, and yet whinge about the Protocol.

The Protocol exists because hard Brexiters needed it, and still need it. It was their ask. Objecting to the Protocol while still supporting hard Brexit is, at worst, another example of Brexiter have-cake-and-eat-it delusion and, at worst, cynical hypocrisy.

In the 2017-2019 period, when the parliamentary arithmetic gave the DUP some leverage, they squandered the opportunity to use it to press for a Brexit that would minimise harm to NI. That was a serious, serious mistake which, now, they can do little to remedy.

But they should do what little they can, if only because it's difficult to take seriously a stance which objects to the Protocol but continues to support the policies which require the Protocol. This feeds straight into the perception that their professed opposition to the Protocol is not sincere; that it's simply a figleaf to provide cover for a refusal to serve with an SF First Minister and/or a general desire to undermine the GFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Stephen Nolan reporting this morning "The Belfast Telegraph claims Loyalist sources claim an attack on the "Republic of Ireland" was just hours away". Who are these clowns? London/Washington D.C. /Dublin and Brussels need to have a word with these wallopers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The only people more disgusted by hardcore Unionists than Nationalists are the British. Nobody beyond parts of the US bible belt sees them as anything other than toxic morons and even the evangelists probably just like hearing the accents.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

thats because the evangelicals in the Bible Belt of the south are mostly descended from Protestant denominations from Northern Ireland and border region. Scots-Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 27,763 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

When you see incidents like this still happening, you realise the absolute scale of the challenge in getting rid of the sectarian attitudes in Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This seems to me to be the biggest problem:

This is an open display of sectarian hatred. You've cherrypicked an act of harmless vandalism by a few young lads.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I am with the SDLP on this:

"SDLP MLA Justin McNulty said it was a disgraceful attack.

He added: “Given the nature of the graffiti it is clear that this was an attack on the people who use this hall and there is no support for it within this community, nor is there any place for it within our society.

“Everyone must have the right to celebrate their culture and traditions in peace without having to worry about incidents like this."

Standard whataboutery won't alter that.

It's not an attack, it's petty vandalism.

If you think that this is the barrier to integrating NI while ignoring the bonfires then I really don't know what to say.

In any change situation, outreach must come first from those seeking change if it is to be achieved through integration. Otherwise you are taking the Elon Musk approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

A horrible incident that should be condemned....but quit the pearl clutching, Blanch. Incidents like this happen everywhere in the world.

It isn't like there's never any hateful graffiti in Blanchardstown.

Outreach to people who openly display hate as a virtue is utterly pointless. You know this full well.

So, SDLP MLAs display hate as a virtue? Not a serious point, but while this sort of behaviour doesn't make a difference to the hard-core Orange Order guys, it makes them look like victims to the ordinary unionist in the street (and indeed the SDLP).

I never mentioned outreach to the extremes yet you assumed I did, hence the point I made in response. If people want a united Ireland, they need to reach out to the middle ground. Other than Micheal Martin, I don't see anyone on the nationalist side doing that, instead we get the tired old rhetoric of the 1920s from Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

.....didn't you just link to SDLP unequivocally condemning the attack?

SDLP do more reaching out to the middle ground in a wet week than Micheal has in his lifetime, Blanch.

As always, your SF obsession blinds you to any sort of reasonable discussion; it is all viewed through the lens of taking a swipe at SF, everything else is secondary. You honestly come across as the equal opposite of the hardcore Shinnerbot types who refuse to condemn or even call out anything they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Interesting polls over the weekend

The first indicates that if a referendum were to be held now, the people of Northern Ireland are very likely to vote No to leaving the UK and joining the Republic of Ireland

Interestingly, 21% of NI Catholics would vote to stay in the UK, with only 55% wishing to join the Republic

In an additional poll (which I've read about but don't have links to) it was suggested that the 66% of people in the ROI that would vote in favor of of reunification, drops drastically if concessions were to be made on things such as the national flag or the national anthem.

I actually think this might be one of the final nails in the coffin for this issue.

Factor in taxes and issues around the cost of living and health care and the big one.... "Pensions" (How they kept Scotland) and it's plain to see that the people of NI will never vote for reunification, and nor will the people of the Republic given the fact that we're completely unwilling to make any meaningful concessions what so ever.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm not going to get drawn into an in-depth debate about it but the people of NI not too long ago voted in a referendum, the outcome of which which ended up ignoring what they chose. Given the close links between NI and Scotland, they know well how the Scots were let down badly by their independence and the Brexit referenda.

So in my view the people of NI would be right to refuse to vote for any kind of change until they have cast iron guarrantees of what will happen. Currently there is nothing on offer. You'd be stupid to vote for the unknown!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

100% agree with you!

But with "that" being the environment within which negotiations will be handled, it is highly likely any referendum will be held up for so so so long that the historic issues won't matter to the people that the outcome will effect.

hence what's the point in having it???

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

Unionism is, by its very nature, incompatible with a united Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Mary Lou MacDonald said on the Late Late Show that focussing on merely symbolic things like flags and national anthems would be very ill judged. The real things that matter would be things like the new health service, how the parliament would work, what would the police force and civil service look like, what would citizenship be etc.

Focussing in on issues like the flag and national anthem and letting those two alone decide whether there should be a united Ireland would be immature and downright childish (a bit like the nonsense in the Treaty debates in the Dáil in 1921 when they spent days debating whether there should be an oath of allegiance to the King).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

She can say that all she wants it doesn't mean people are going to stop caring about them. Also one of the reasons shes saying that in my opinion is because debating things like the health service and other examples you have are all aspirational goals and not tangible that someone can hold and posess. The flag and anthem are tangible and are part of peoples national identity, also considering identity is such a huge part of NI politics claiming things that affect it should be ignored in a debate on reunification is pretty naive.

What SF are in trouble with imo is when people answer the question off hand, like they did in the IT poll, on unity they imagine just tacking NI onto us without much change in systems like the HSE, Gardai, civil service and especially Government. The main other reason she is also pushing these things and ill agree that she is correct to is the vast vast majority of people have never thought they would need to be changed. SF have a real uphill battle to get people around to not only thinking about these changes but agreeing that they are not only necessary but worth it as it will cost a lot of time and money to do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But think of the message that focussing in on flags and anthems would send out. It would be saying that flags are the only thing that matter : people are largely irrelevant (a horrible message if truth be told). This was the cause of much of the trouble and divisions within NI itself....flags, flags and more flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Fair point but she's doing the exact opposite which is just as porblematic by saying they aren't relevant. Admitting they along with uncountable other things need to be discussed prior to any referendum is what she needs to be honest about. I get she's afraid of losing the debate if they just focus on flags but by telling everyone who thinks it's important that they are wrong she's going to far in the other direction.

The people who think the tricolour is important are also the people most strongly committed to a united Ireland. They might reject suggestions that the flag should be changed but they are very unlikely to vote for partition in a fit of pique. The whole point of the tricolour is that it symbolises an Ireland in which which Orange and Green are united. Pretty much nobody values the tricolour as the emblem of a 26-county state.

So I'd be interested to see the details of the poll that says that people otherwise disposed in favour of a united Ireland would vote against if the united country were to adopt a new flag. I'm very sceptical.

On the details of the poll that we do have, the headline result is the 50:27 split in favour of the Union. That certainly suggests that a border poll is unlikely to carry in the immediate future.

But equally important is the finding that 23% of the population of NI either do not have an opinion or would not vote in the border poll. Internationally, there must be very few places were so high a proportion of the population have no fixed view on what state they should be in. That suggests that support for the union is much lower than a unionist would think it ought to be, or that would be expected in a country whose constitutional position was settled. So the suggestion that this poll settles the question in favour of the union is definitely wrong; on the contrary, this poll indicates that the question is not settled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the final nail because almost 80% of unionists dont want a UI where as the majority of catholics do? hows that news?

wasnt that poll of only 1000 people? surely a full poll of everyone in the north would be a better gauge?

Advertisement