Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Yes, when "hate" covers almost everything you disagree with. I don't use nor care about what Truth Social does. If they are claiming to be pro free speech while doing that, then it's wrong, but it's not really comparative to people who want to use the law against their enemies.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 82,960 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well sure but I mean what are we talking about - UK/IE blasphemy laws, Truth social, Elon banning tweeters for memes of him, what disagreement(s) are you saying typically fall under "hate speech" that you suggest shouldn't? If this is about gender identity, we've exhausted this discussion enough - and actual discussion of the topic here is not, in the extreme, banned. So what else?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

but it's not really comparative to people who want to use the law against their enemies.

LOCK HER UP! LOCK HER UP! LOCK HER UP!

Do you need me to go get the links of Trump wanting to get the justice Dept to prosecute Hillary and also James Comey for not shutting down an investigation in to him.

The UK government has introduced severe laws restricting protests.

Putin's main opponent is sitting in a jail in Siberia.

The current Brazilian PM was literally jailed by a judge friends with his opponent, who was then given a high profile job by that opponent.

Are you for real?

Just out of curiosity, do you think there are any situations where the far-left have gone too far?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Prisons

Hospital wards

Changing rooms

Public toilets

Rape crisis centres

Sports

About the only area I would say crosses in to this, is the allowing of trans people to play sports with the gender in to which they have transitioned to. And my logic for this is because I believe the physique and training benefits of having lived your life as a male for an extended period I do not believe can be overcome with testosterone suppressants, or whatever the proposed solution is.

But, and this is key, I believe the number of people who have been negatively impacted by practices allowing freedom to participate is in the very small numbers at a global level. And my big issue with the argument against this practice is that most people who are speaking up for women who are now competing against a trans person is that very often they don't advocated for the same women when it comes to gender pay gaps, abortion rights, etc etc but are instead only professing faux concern for them so that they can target their bigger concern.

For the vast number of people who transition, they are not going to be competing at a significant level and I don't have an issue with them doing so from a gender identity perspective, but, for the very few who do compete to win, I do think that their training experience prior to transitioning can play a significant part.

I should add, I don't think people will transition just to win, it's not something sports bodies are allowing to happen at the spur of the moment.

But, here's the thing and my position on this in the bigger picture. This type of 'wing' behavior is much less impactful, to much fewer people than the examples that I have given with respect to right wing ideologies.

Except that hasn't happened, has it? Of course, there are some cases, and some individuals who call for it, but what we are talking about with respect to issue from right wing positions is them being implemented at a government level and impacting hundreds of millions of people, or billions in the case of the climate.

And that again illustrates the justification for the thread title, lots of concern expressed about such 'ideals' on here and elsewhere, with little justification for the need to be concerned, and meantime, at best, a sense of ambivalence towards the massively impactful topics or in all too many cases, actually being strongly in favour of the ideologies that brought them about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

But, and this is key, I believe the number of people who have been negatively impacted by practices allowing freedom to participate is in the very small numbers at a global level. And my big issue with the argument against this practice is that most people who are speaking up for women who are now competing against a trans person is that very often they don't advocated for the same women when it comes to gender pay gaps, abortion rights, etc etc but are instead only professing faux concern for them so that they can target their bigger concern.

Most people speaking out about it (wasn't there a thread about it on Boards?) probably haven't attended or watched a women's sporting event ever. It's just for the lulz with them.

And that again illustrates the justification for the thread title, lots of concern expressed about such 'ideals' on here and elsewhere, with little justification for the need to be concerned, and meantime, at best, a sense of ambivalence towards the massively impactful topics or in all too many cases, actually being strongly in favour of the ideologies that brought them about.

Up is down on this thread. The RCC isn't right-wing according to some here. That'd be news to them.

• Advertisement

Neither is Putin apparently, nor Brexit, or climate denial......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

King orc is classic communist. Was a member of the KGB not right wing. Cleping all the money is a typical communist thing to do. Killing and waging war also classic communist. Wanting the old soviet empire back is Not right wing. Silencing the media also classic communist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Former counter-terrorism chief of Met Police describes the rapid rise and increase in threat of right-wing extremism.

It was the fastest growing threat during his time in the role - from about 6% of the workload in 2015 to over 20% when he left in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The guy who pelted King Charles with dairy bombs a few weeks back was a left winger.

The thread title doesn't refer to far-right though, it refers to "the right".

Nobody supports violence against anyone, except a tiny number of irrelevant incels.

These basement-dwelling psychopaths have nothing to do with ordinary right-wing politics or common sense conservatism.

Nobody supports violence against anyone, except a tiny number of irrelevant incels.

Were the people who stormed the capitol, right wing, or far right, in your view?

Don't think even the most blinkered commentators would still try and insist that Nick Fuentes isn't a dangerous and hateful character.

What he says has a lot of familiarity to it, doesn't it.

And the head of the FBI said the same thing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/03/02/fbi-director-wray-reconfirms-threat-posed-by-racist-extremists/

“When it comes to racially motivated violent extremism, that number — again, number of investigations and number of arrests — has grown significantly on my watch,” he continued. “And the number of arrests, for example, of racially motivated violent extremists who are what you would categorize as white supremacists, last year was almost triple the number it was in my first year as director.”

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Love the way those who say there's nothing to see here and it's all hysteria oimported from the US are the same people who get hysterical about immigration, diversity, abortion and trans rights in the same way the Americans do.

This video should be watched by everyone in the UK.

The scale of what went on during Covid in the UK was embezzlement in my view.

And right now nurses are being demeaned for voting to go on strike after being offered a below inflation payrise while watching the NHS be decimated because of Brexit and reduced funding over the last years.

The fact that the media isn't calling for enquiries in to this is another example of the relationship between the main outlets and the Tories.

You're getting hung up on labels.

The couple of hundred people who stormed the Capitol were low IQ losers.

They'll never become mainstream, and they'll never lead a party. They're criminal scum and nothing more.

I mean we could say the same about left-wing thugs and those who commit violence. They are also a minority but I would never characterise "the left" as being represented by these thugs.

Both ends of the political spectrum have low IQ mindless thugs.

You're reading too much into things if you think that there is some existential threat to the West by these tiny numbers of violent incels and dumbasses.

And spent hours on here at a time arguing against the justification of the BLM movement and arguing against any suggestion of gun control in the US.

You're reading too much into things if you think that there is some existential threat to the West by these tiny numbers of violent incels and dumbasses.

Interesting that you say I am focused on labels, and then identify these people as above.

Anyway, that aside, you do realize

• That these people were there at the behest of and encouraged by the sitting US President.
    • That many of the people connecting with, and tying in with the protesters were in close communication with friends of and former advisors of the president.
    • That a right wing activist said that him, and thee sitting representatives were "planning something big": a "mob" to pressure Congress into rejecting the election results"
    • That sitting Representatives were cheerleaders to what was going to happen in the days before it.
    • That a sitting Representative tweeted during the attack to guide those doing it.
    • That a Senator raised his arm in solidarity with them before running to safety.
    • That the President called them special people and told them that he loved them.
    • That the wife of a sitting supreme court judge is a supporter of these who attacked the Capitol
    • That up to 6 sitting politicians asked Trump for pardons around their actions and the events of that day.

It's not unusual to see posters twist their position, but there's so much wrong with your post her, I can almost smell it through the screen. It's preposterous to suggest that these people could never influence a political party or institution.

Also, You didn't answer my question, so please, when you're ready; Were the people who stormed the capitol, right wing, or far right, in your view?

P.S. 'I would never characterize 'the left'' You were the chief cheerleader for GB News, No one is buying this sanctimony.

Do you always have to speak for Everyone/Nobody when you post, it's getting terribly droll.

The couple of hundred people who stormed the Capitol were low IQ losers.

They'll never become mainstream, and they'll never lead a party. They're criminal scum and nothing more.

Laughably wrong again, @Eskimohunt, Jan 6 'Low IQ users' are going to have seats in Congress in just over a month.

You may have missed it, but Trump's red wave didn't manifest. The support for Trump and his rhetoric has declined, not risen.

Your point is non-existent. My point stands.

Pointing to a handful of Congresspersons does not substantiate your point at all. If anything, it exposes the weakness of it.

You continue to be awfully droll, like playing chess with a pigeon, shouting such inane things like "Your point is non-existent. My point stands." It does not substantiate your point at all. If anything, it exposes the weakness of it.

Is @hotmail.com going to penalize you for dragging up Trump? Is this TDS?

Allow me to tell you then, Your point is non-existent. My point stands. And I'll tell you why: only thanks to the efforts of countless Americans, such as @Tell me how, was the midterm campaign won by the left, because they correctly highlighted the dangers coming from the right. In particular, the midterms as you say were dominated on the republican ballot largely by election deniers and pro-MAGA candidates. The left, correctly and rightly, convinced the moderates in the middle, this was the direction the dangers to our democracy were coming from, and therefore, most of them lost, turning this midterm into an historic modern victory for an incumbent party, the Democrats. Regardless, this does not change the fact that insurrectionists who stormed the capitol managed to win safe right wing districts and they will now serve in Congress, and therefore, still present a clear danger. Nor does it dismiss the alarming tens of millions of votes for those dangerous candidates who in some cases lost only by handfuls of votes.

• Advertisement

No.

Trump - not the right - lost in the midterms.

That's a rejection of Trumpism and not "the right" in general.

Advertisement