Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options
1525354555658»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,439 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Any of the pubs on the strip in Puerta Banus. Drug riddled dives. I was there with friends about 20 yrs ago when one of them bumped into a guy and spilled some of his drink. The guy pulled out a knife in the bar and told us he would stab every one of us. A regular in the bar, think it was Sinatras, told us the guy was a well known English drug dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

The Ritz in Lisdoonvarna, was a great pub years ago but anytime I go into it now its full of 30 somethings openly selling and taking coke, I was in one night in September and the local scumbags have cosied up with a few Ukrainian scumbags being given shelter and safety in one of the local hotels to form a sort of drug gang, you can now get your beer, drugs and a hooker all in one, it was a solid place one time but lax management has turned it into a serious sh1thole

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

J’Daves in Lake City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

The World's End in Kilkenny was definitely an eye opener. Some terrifying locals, from the moment I entered I never felt all that comfortable. In saying that nothing negative materialised, but every sentence and piece of conversation was laced with lingering tenacity, it felt like I was a competitor in a survivor competition.

Some locals suffer from their own inability to generate a healthy atmosphere, Irish people are constantly skeptical and hate having their routines unsettled, that can be as simple as staring at a Vampire Lord they have never seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

If The Harbour Bar of old in Galway hasn't been mentioned.....there ya go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I've been in every one of those bars and every ludicrous story that you hear like this is completely and utterly true. PB has fallen down in the world and is a pox-ridden slime-hole now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Diamond Jubilee on the Shankill Road.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 20,732 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Jim Byrnes wee pub in Queen's NYC ,

Long story how i ended up there once ,still not sure if it was dangerous or just full of odd balls,

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My Dad was a childhood friend of Terry Killeen / Killion The owner of The Castle… he eventually sold up because of the hassle involved running it. Made a pretty penny I believe but the effort involved and apparently he was targeted by gangsters looking for protection and in the end he just got out… man had a wife and 3 young kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

My friends got mugged with a knife by an Irish guy who had ‘befriended’ us in one of those pubs. Dodgy place, dodgy people

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Guinness, it was Ian Paisleys description of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Fair enough.

To be honest, it was a very tense affair. I'd to order the drinks as I was with two lads - one from Ballymun and the other from Cork - since I'd a Donegal accent. We got three pints of lager, necked them and got the f*ck out. There was a shop just behind the bar and it very much seemed like the sort of place where non-locals got made very, very quickly.

There was a parade of some sort on outside, plenty of police officers with MP5's and posters of murdered soldiers on every lamp post. Dodgy seems a bit redundant.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Michealog

Pssssst

that sounds like Holy hour in Ti Padraicins in the late 70’s

without the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Dubarrys on Princes st ,long closed, in Belfast docklands for a bet, went to buy a drink and the uncle Andy character at the end of the bar opened his jacket to reveal a revolver and told us to "sling your hook before ye get into trouble""

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

The Capel Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭corks finest

Was in the tower's,an experience

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There was a pub that opened on benburb St pre luas I happened to fall into many years ago, must have been the only person who either wasn't dealing or on the game, literally every girl in the place was a Hooker, I remember the manager saying come here and sit and the bar and have one drink and I'll organize a taxi, don't talk to anyone they all either think your a guard or a tourist and won't last 5 mins if it kicks off

• Advertisement
Advertisement