Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Dogs Owners

Options

Comments

It's an unnecessary breed. Time to eradicate it and similar breeds. Keep DNA samples is needed for future research.

AS with many laws in this country, they are never enforced. For the want of a nail etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

There's plenty of info here...

Edit: I don't own Pitt bull terrier, or any crossbreed out of them. Just saying people might be demonizing some dogs breeds, but I think owners are at fault, always. Personally, I don't think banning certain breeds will work. But that's just my opinion.

And even manufactured weapon needs a human finger to make a damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,624 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

As the OP says, the only people in our area with these type of aggressive demonic dogs are never do well types involved in all sorts of criminality.

the owner should get AT LEAST 10 years in prison.

I would like to see how the owner would get on in a small enclosed concrete yard with a starved riled up angry pit bull out for revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,624 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The majority of Irish dog owners have the dog off the lead and absolutely no recall. I have even seen morons with their dogs loose in the Wicklow mountains chasing farmer's sheep, they come out with the usual "he never usually does that". It is the dog owning equivalent of "unparenting". Dogs aren't humans even if some people treat them as such.

They are livestock that people keep for company instead of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Packrat

As I said before, the time is long past for debating with you people who advocate for these unnecessary and lethal animals.

The vast majority of us who are rightly disgusted that they still exist must just push on and have our legislators end this carnage because you people will never accept the clear necessity of keeping our children safe from these lethal weapons no matter how many die or are maimed by them.

Frankly - you're in a dwindling minority and while absolutely entitled to your view of them as lovely pets, that view isn't supported by reality or critical thinking.

Recent history shows that people who believe religiously in some particular dogma won't change their minds no matter what incontrovertible evidence they are shown, and therefore society must move on without their agreement or consent.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• yeah so is a bear would you take your chances with one of those?

Dogs may have become a part of quite a few families which there’s nothing wrong with of course, but if you’re trying to suggest that certain dog breeds are not dangerous therefore you’re lost, brother.

The fact is some dog breeds are purpose bred to be violent, strong and to fight. Pitt bulls are one of those breeds. That doesn’t take away from people owning dogs though, but why can’t they own other dogs?

• Advertisement

The majority of Irish dog owners have the dog off the lead and absolutely no recall.

Thats a strong statement, I hope you have something to back it up with, apart from Wicklow mountains personal experience..

Yes, running in the park everyday where people are walking their dogs, dogs running up to my kids if they are eating something etc. I don't mind dogs, I just view them as any other animal. If an owner has a dog off the lead they need to be able to control it and in my experience not many dog walkers seem to be able to do this. I don't blame the dogs, it is the owners who are the problem. Dogs don't pick up their own ****, we need the owners to do that which is why you find **** on the ground or hanging in bags on trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Maybe not off lead walking. But no control. Stupid extendible leads while they have a chat. Cycling is hazardous.

Plus poodles are vicious feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Or the standard reply” ah he/she won’t go near you” morons is too kind a description for those people.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

That still doesn't say, or mean majority of Irish dog owners does that.

It is my impression based on experience. I am sorry I have not collected detailed statistics and published them in a peer reviewed journal for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Utter false equivalency, a pit bull is not even a black bear. Getting nowhere with this. Logically fallacious.

That just seems like mental gymnastics to excuse mass murder of these animals 'because it aligns with our narrative'

I bet every one in this thread could do with a bit of reflection, when did ye think you'd grow up and be the person who wants to just exact extinction on an entire species-strain? It's not how I was raised.

Pit bulls exist in large part, because they are the product of cruel and horrific eugenics on a species, exacted upon it by the human race. Mama said 2 wrongs don't make a right. I don't see it being moral to wipe them all out or ban them because we dislike what they are: a reflection of humanity. A **** part of humanity, that many of us had no involvement in, but humanity nonetheless. I don't believe in God though and I don't believe in playing one either. It kills me to see at least a dozen folk who have come across this thread who feel differently, like we should just eradicate them all and wash our hands falsely clean of an entire species of animal because a few of them were assholes. Poetic justice would be for dogs to eradicate all humans then, because a statistically significant handful of us were involved in dogfighting rings and forced breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

With respect, this argument makes no sense.

It reminds me of the time I was out on the roads with a horse.

At a junction, I seen two people with a dog walking up the road I was turning down, which was narrow. I walked the horse past the junction and stood on the other side (as it ended at a cul de sac so it was unlikely the walkers were going that way). The two walkers were so busy yapping, they didn't notice me and the dog pulled the lead out of their hands and it bolted towards us. I jumped off the horse, which was a prey animal and had a predator running straight towards it, and kept it under control despite the fact the horse was snorting, spinning, and wanted to freak out. Thankfully, at the last minute, the dog in the house on the junction ran out and the loose dog turned towards it instead. Dog owner was wailing and running around trying to catch their dog, and their friend continued up the road, looked at me (who still had control over something literally 10 times the size of the dog that was now standing alert but quietly by my side), and went "get that thing away from us".

The horse was considerably stronger than me, and had I not been the only person to have kept their head in the whole situation, the horse would have seriously injured, if not killed itself, or the dog, or the walkers, or myself, or even some random person who may have been on the road if the horse bolted home. It's not all about who is stronger.

You don't need to "mass murder" them, just stop breeding them. They aren't a different species either. They are just dogs that have been selectively bred for characteristics that are not very desirable when allowed to roam free in council estates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not enough. You have to be very close for an effective shotgun blast, too close really.

A good rifle shot from an experienced marksman from a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I walk a lot and occasionally encounter dogs off their leads. I am naturally nervous of them as I was badly bitten in an unprovoked attack many years ago. To my eternal regret, that particular dog was not put down.

Every single owner I've challenged has come out with the "he/she won't hurt you" crap which really annoys me. Any dog that attacks people deserves a bullet in the head.

Well, you said majority of Irish dog owners has no control over their dogs, or whatever your wording was. I was just wondering if you can somehow back it up. And what a surprise, you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

The usual druggie scumbag cnut who'll plead a troubled upbringing and get a slap on the wrist

On the dogs physical attributes I recently came into close contact with one who was only about 8 months old, I never saw 1 up close before, I'm not exaggerating when I say that it's the first time I've ever been afraid of a dog, not that dog particularly but the sheer size and muscles on him was staggering to see up close, I'm 6 foot, fit, big build and well able to handle myself, and I would seriously doubt my ability to handle a mature pit bull, oh and the prick that owns him walks around the village without a muzzle or a lead and the only reason he got him was because he got a hiding off the local drug dealer for 5 grand drug debt, pity too as he's a lovely dog but no way would I have a pit bull as a pet

• Registered Users Posts: 82,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just solve the problem with more eugenics. Totally different. Humans really growing and maturing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

You are in the minority and you know that. Anyone that takes on a large strong energetic breed dog should be walking, running, entertaining it for hours each day to meet its needs. Plus training, socializing, medical and other needs are also required. You sound you meet your dogs needs. All you have to do is ask the dog warden or animal rescue what breeds they remove from people the most, and what breeds get surrendered the most ... its large strong breeds. People, in particular tough boys have no idea of the responsibilty, work and effort that comes with owning these breeds. Thats what I am saying.

Remember 15 years ago when every second person in urban Ireland had a Husky ? How many do you see now? Very few, right? Ask the owners, the majority will tell you that they would never get a Husky again due to the work, effort and responsbility, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

On the same day, yesterday, a story on BBC news of a child killed by the same dogs.

It will keep happening.

You should need some kind of special license, reason, training, space and annual check ups by the state, which you pay for, to have dogs like these.

Also, insurance to pay for the carnage and physical and mental medical treatment on the attacked person and family. Why should the taxpayer have to pay ?

If you want a dog there are plenty of other breeds around. Loads in pounds.

Also, there is a law that certain breeds should be muzzled when out in public. It's there for a reason.

I was attacked by 2 pit bulls a couple of years ago, the owner has left his gate open. They'd be wandering up and down the road all week. They were regularly out. They were just "playing", I just walked away very slowly with my leg bleeding and several puncture wounds.

Had to get tetanus shot which I got the owner to pay for. I was very lucky I just remained calm. A child would have screamed and god knows what would have happened.

I didn't want the dogs to be put down. Cause they are the **** innocent creature here. And I love dogs. But they are bred to protect, defend, attack. And it takes a very knowledgeable person to handle them.

So, the owners of these breeds need to step up and take responsibility.

If people call out that dogs are not being muzzled that should be regularly then at least this might not have happened.

You can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

True enough, most Irish dog owners let them roam off the leash. Just look at the fouled footpaths/greens in every city town.

Remember seeing two off leash large dogs chase and run a small dog down and the owners didn't recall them until it was over. The owners then vanished sharpish when the small dog owner came running.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭NiceFella

I would have punted the thing into the middle next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The argument does make sense.

Don't be in a public area with an animal capable of serious harm that you can't control.

If your stronger then the animal then its obviously not an issue.

It's not difficult to understand, you were lucky the animal responded well to you, it could just as easily tossed you onto the ground like a ragdoll

Advertisement