Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

The peak rate is useless if it's only applied at low SOC. I've plugged in around 20% before and never saw more than 60 Kw but this is probably due to the battery temp was always around 12 deg any time I have fast charged which again, is not good in this day and age, there should be an option to preheat the battery for fast charging.

Sure, I like the car but I just can't accept the poor charging speeds in 2022 or 2021 model as progress because when I need the charge when away from home it's just not good enough, It's a complete waste plugging in to a high power charger above 50 Kw at above 20%, certainly not worth the rip off cost at Ionity. I can get 60 Kw that's all I've ever seen from 20% or maybe 25%, that's ridiculous. But the battery temp is probably a lot to do with it, 12 deg C is just not a temp to see decent speed, the i3 would see around 35 Kw at that battery temp so I suppose it's not all bad for the Tour 5 but I had the Rex which made a tremendous difference.

The i3 battery life was exceptional, no loss of range or capacity in 143,000 Kms and 4.5 years old, incredible, the T5 is reporting 68.5 Kwh usable now out of 73.5 new, after 1 year, it never had 77 Kwh available due to a huge buffer. Whether or not this extra buffer is unlocked at lower charge I don't know but I don't think it does, when the T5 is charged to 100% it's actually charged to 95 or 96% but of course we know that's not true either due to a further buffer. Still, I don't notice much if any range loss yet but it does make sense that with 68.5 Kwh and 19 Kwh/100 kms that I would get around 357 Kms that kind of matches what I'm seeing where as if I had 77 Kwh that would be 405 Kms and while I'm confident I can achieve that it would be in warmer months at less than motorway speeds.

I'm wondering if the T5 has a 10 Kwh buffer or close then how much actual usable capacity has the 58 Kwh ? has anyone actually seen the data ?

I presume it's still very much unknown how the BMS calculates capacity but I presume it also measures internal resistance which is a key indicator as to how quick it's aging/degrading which also effects fast charging, Higher internal resistance = less acceleration and slower fast charging also related to cold, cold increases internal resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I've detailed the full charge curve for my car here. I'm happy with it, I regularly get 100kW, and reasonable speeds all the way to 80% and its being improved in the next OTA update. Took the car the length of France and the car was ready before we were at the stops (averaging 70-80kW over the charge sessions), which we had to do anyway. Its fine.

I think part of your problem also is that you have the 77kWh battery which has a lower voltage and hence lower rates. I agree your car should be better considering the size of your battery but its not a general problem with the ID.3.

VW are being conservative because of the scale they work at. They don't want to have to replace all the batteries like Hyundai had to do with the Kona. So, they are taking a conservative approach and monitoring the telemetry data they are getting back and then based on that real world data releasing better charge curves to all of us in the v3 update. Bottomline, they will manage it to ensure they can get as many cars as possible to the end of the warranty period.

I'm wondering if the T5 has a 10 Kwh buffer or close then how much actual usable capacity has the 58 Kwh ? has anyone actually seen the data ?

I think when VW talk about "usable capacity" they are referring to "usable to VW" but not actually "usable to the owner".... which is different to what we all expect and how it worked for the likes of the Nissan Leaf.

My 58kWh ID.3 shows ~51kWh when at 100% but it shows "max capacity" as 54kWh in the app, so clearly VW are holding back some of that "usable capacity".

The guess is that they are managing the degradation to release that buffer over time to ensure you, as an owner, keep getting the same range over an extended period..... which is very different to the Leaf where you lose real world range from day 1.

You can argue for either method. Long term its probably better that the car maintains its range and gives reliability/consistency as that will give better resale.

I guess we'll find out in a couple of years.

• Advertisement

Glad you're happy with it, I couldn't be happy with 60 Kw charging and most of it I know is due to low battery temps that can't be changed and it's ridiculous considering it can heat the battery. The battery heater rarely turns on now even at 5 deg C it's doesn't engage which is fine by me, it makes a huge difference to local trips even longer trips I notice a difference. I don't get to chargers usually with less than about 20% but even so 12 deg C seems to be the normal temp I arrive with, the T5 battery hardly warms up from charging, though haven't checked that yet now that it doesn't pre-heat to 12 deg C it might actually be colder when I arrive at fast chargers lol. Luckily fast charging is rare for me.

I've seen Bjorn get 80 Kw on the Tour at 58% with 30 odd degree battery, and 124 Kw at 22% again with 30 odd C battery temps.

EDIT:

I haven't tested fast charging with the latest update but I expect it didn't change much.

Drove 2 days to Grangecastle Dublin and got back with 17% at 300 Kms Kms, mostly motorway driving and motorway speeds as much as possible, the upper bit of the M9 and the N7 can't get too fast even when leaving at 6am these days the traffic is getting worse and worse earlier and earlier, if it continues it will be the same at 5am, there's no relief from the N7/M7 pain, anyway, leaving at 3 :30 pm this week I get higher speeds on the way home.

Anyway, the GOM saying 80 kms left oh and I only preheated off the mains once the morning it was charged to 100%. No mains heating for lunch trips either.

Good news is that I will have access to the Grangecastle charge point from some time tomorrow so charging at home will be a rare event hopefully, depending on how busy the charge point is, 1 for customers and 2 for staff, tonight I charge to 50% just in case I don't get access until the next day. They are tethered Zappy chargers which is a nice change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Let's say I plug in at 40-50% will it have the same curve as below? Looks to start around 75kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

We bought our ID.3 for a commute to Dublin which never materialised and then I changed jobs. Get the train now. Happy days. Still glad we bought it though. 33000km in a year wouldn’t be low mileage.

it’s still in for the update. No word yet. I hope it goes ok

Luckily fast charging is rare for me.

And that is part of the problem too. You have so much range that you need to do a very long trip to get battery temp up and SoC <20%. It’s hard to do that in a Tour 5 in Ireland.

They really should implement the feature that heats the battery when you navigate to a charge point. They have the heater and tech already in the car. They just need to code it in. I presume they will, when is the unknown!

• Advertisement

It's hard to know but the recent update will allow them to enable battery heating, I just can't see it any time soon, they will have to test it out first if they haven't already because they'll have to determine how much to heat it without it straining the cooling system from charing or it will only end up throttling the charging power.

BMW's i3 cooling system was incredible and directly cooled by AC, very efficient and unique, I think it was the first in a BEV.

Which battery version, the 58 or 77 Kwh ?

Hard to know what charging curve you'll experience but my experience fast charging on Ionity is that I have never seen above 60 Kw or amazingly 50 odd Kw on ESB high power charger when plugging in from 20-30% and above, Why the difference, I do not know. I have the 77 Kwh and in reality the battery will rarely be up to 30 odd degrees needed for max charging power, not in Ireland anyway where even in the height of Summer temps can get down to 8 deg C and the battery in the T5 hardly warms up from driving.

I don't know for sure but think you'll need at least 20 Deg C for any decent charging power but the same is true of most electric cars even those like the id3 with battery heaters.

In Bjorn's youtube video of the id3 tour 82 Kwh 1000 km challenge he shows what it's capable of with a battery temp of 30-40 Deg C and at around 60% I say 80 Kw if I remember correctly but you'd need to charge it a lot from low SOC to raise the battery temp especially in Winter.

Again, most electric cars suffer from increased to sometimes greatly increased charge times with a cold battery. Hopefully VW enable a battery preheat function for fast charging but I can't see it any time soon and possibly never.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Comer1

Received the following email late last night:

Dear Sender,

Thank you very much for your "I want OTA" e-mail.

Due to the great interest, we have received far more replies than we could consider for inclusion in this wave of the ID. software 3.0 update.

For that reason we have to inform you that your vehicle could not be included at this time. This does not necessarily mean that your vehicle did not meet the technical criteria for the update.

Your submission will be considered to receive the update within the next steps of the rollout plan. No action is currently needed on your side. We will keep you informed about the ID. software 3.0 update via the ID. Drivers Club.

Thank you for your understanding and for your interest in the ID. software 3.0 update.

We wish you continued safe and enjoyable travels with your ID.

Best regards,

I feel like scorned lover, "it's not you, it's us"😥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Got the same email too.

Although mine is one of the cars that has the faulty battery module that hopefully will be changed in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Comer1

How did you find that out, did they contact you?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

Ha Ha..

just received the same email from VW..

Thanks for opting for thge OTA udate,...But sorry your car is not on the list for Updating.

Talk about the Left hand not knowing what the Right hand is doing..

I got the OTA update 2 weeks ago...

Battery Life has a list of VIN numbers that are affected so I contacted my dealer who confirmed it. They said that they can't do the repair until December as they were still training the technician on the high voltage systems...

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Everyone has recieved the email, now there's a sh%tstorm on the FB group:)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Both the i3 and id3 came with caveats, however, at the time of purchase for both cars in my experience there was nothing better on offer for that price point. Currently, there is still nothing better on offer to beat a Tour/5 at the prices we paid- circa €40-41k.

The perfect charging curve and software are the caveat on the id range, but still a sound car. For what it’s worth I’m on the 0912 and no issues, no issues with 0910 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

Would you have a link to this list? was there a particular year it impacted only.

Thanks

• Advertisement

No link.

Battery life said that if you emailed him your VIN number he would tell you if your car was on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

You can call your dealership, they know the VIN numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

I’ve pasted the follow on FB post from VW in the ID.4 thread, worth reading (it’s not the one referred to in earlier posts here)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

My view is the owners with the ID.3 1st should get these updates first as we have the cars/issues the longest.

Then roll it out based on the ones registered after that assuming they have 2.4 and the new battery.

Having to send an email to try and get an update first or join some online club/group is bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

New ID.3. They're calling it the second gen, I thought it was a facelift. Interior doesn't look much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭eagerv

Looks smart, but pics are more like concept pics or artist's impressions than real life.

Hope the materials are an improvement, even though I was quite happy with my previous one. Good to see a bigger screen as well.

Concept pic, still has the haptic steering buttons in the pic, they're real buttons now though as VW said they'd be gone with the next update.

I just hope they have dedicated buttons for AC and stuff like Radio, I hate having to go through menus to access the radio, it's ridiculous. Even if they had a top section with always on top icons it would be a lot easier.

Anyway, touch screens in car are a major distraction. If you have travel assist you can at least use it a bit easier on the radio to do basic stuff.

Can't imagine the delay ordering one or the cost, at current prices there's no way in hell I'll order an id3/4 new for a long time if ever because of higher costs and removing tech.

What's the story Fits, did you get the car back, any issues ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

No problems at all. Got it back Wednesday

Had asked them to check battery SOH but it didn’t happen. I’ve no concerns there anyway.

• Advertisement

Excellent!

No surprise they didn't check the battery SOH.

I've to go in Tuesday to get the headlight replaced, that's the 2nd one now, or is it the same one ? can't remember lol.

Advertisement