Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take one player from each province

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Connacht supporter, going to take this way too seriously as I'm avoiding work. Taking the liberty of assuming that the signing will be for the rest of player's career, rather than a single contract. Going to prioritise younger players with the idea that they will enter their prime around the same time as what I am hoping is already a strong crop of players in their early twenties; Tierney-Martin, Illo, Aungier, the Murrays, Prendergast, McCormack, Devine, Forde, Hawkshaw, Jennings, Mullins, etc.

Leinster: Joe McCarthy. Irish qualified tighthead locks are hard to come by, we could be a long time waiting to develop one ourselves and I don't want to see Niall Murray bulking up to the point he loses some of his natural athleticism.

Munster: Jack Crowley. Backing him to become a key man at 10 for the better part of a decade, with both Forde and Hawkshaw looking more like 12s thus far for me. Was tempted to go with Edogbo and Harry Byrne but choosing Crowley as he seems quite durable thus far.

Ulster: Would have preferred a loosehead or no. 8 but none of the options take my fancy, so going with Tom Stewart. Hooker is a tricky position but he looks very much like a future international. Could form a good combination with Tierney-Martin.

Obviously risky going with relatively unproven players but my logic is that even with 3 top class internationals added to the current squad we are not likely to win anything, so I'm gambling that something like the following could be a genuine European contender in 5 years:

Dooley, Stewart, Illo, N Murray, McCarthy, Prendergast, McCormack, Boyle, Devine, Crowley, Hansen, Hawkshaw, Ralston, Jennings, Mullins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Shout out to the solitary Leinster fan who actually read the OP and named the province they support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

@Jump_In_Jack

Leinster - nobody (Don't rate the young crop, and wouldn't think any of the senior players would buy into the Munster spirit)

I'm non aligned Irish fan and generally support the weaker provinces in derbies, though I'm from Leinster and 'follow' them due to their success. But I've one foot in Munster family wise. Anyhow, I have no idea what the "Munster spirit' is, as opposed to the spirit of any other pro team and it's idiosyncratic culture and history. Lot's of Leinster players have thrived in Munster, plus loads of guys from abroad, maybe it's just a troll but I am interested in this 'Munster mind' that was explained as 'pashun' in the days when the team was successful. What is so unknowable that Leinster players wouldn't get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

The modern equivalent of not putting 01 before phone numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Munster fan here:

Leinster: Sheehan (problem position for us)

Ulster: Balacoune (Pace)

Connacht: Prendigast ( absolute **** to play against)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

If a player is good enough and you have a competitive culture at the club, almost anyone should fit in.

I’d agree though that the current young leinster crop is worse than the previous generation but there are still good players like joe mccarthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ulster Fan

Leinster - Furlong

Munster - Beirne

Connacht - Prendergast

Not surprisingly all forwards, although if age wasn't a factor it would be a toss of a coin between Furlong and Sexton from Leinster.

Leinster - nobody (Don't rate the young crop, and wouldn't think any of the senior players would buy into the Munster spirit)

Leaving aside the "Munster spirit" for a moment, to say you don't rate the young crop at Leinster is funny.

A team primarily comprising the young crop beat an almost full strength Munster side (13 of the 15 starters who had started against Toulouse in Europe) who had everything to play for back in May; which cost Munster a home QF, and led to a swift and ignominious exit against Ulster in Ravenhill.

That Leinster team that day had an average age of 24 in the starting XV and contained multiple players who had less than 10 total starts for Leinster.

They didn't seem too bad that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

From the responses it is clear that Beirne basks in the admiration of fans across the island, but his popularity is such that it spoils the exercise a little as regards Munster. It would be interesting to run the same survey but on uncapped players, or those under 23/25.

Another wrinkle is that Connacht and Munster both have clear gaps in their current squads, so the picks are guided to a great extent by need. For example, it's notable that only person selected JVDF, presumably because 7s are strong across the provinces, whereas top level front rows are in short supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

its a common refrain from those who follow a certain munster twitter personality.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Make it so you have to swap a first teamer for an u-23 player at another province

Yeah, tbf Beirne is one of Ireland's absolute best players and one of the best players in the world over the past couple of seasons. His selection is hardly surprising, surely?

If selecting an U-23 (including 23 year olds) player from the other sides, I would go as follows:

Ulster: Stewart Moore

Munster: Jack Crowley (closely ahead of Thomas Ahern and Ed Edogbo)

Connacht: Cian Prendergast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Beirne is the best forward on the island, imo. Brilliant blindside and lock. At blindside he's in a class of his own, imo. I'd say world class. There's nobody that good. Of course fans want him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I replied to the OP with realistic answers. You wouldn't be able to plonk the likes of Tadhg Furlong into the Munster setup, just not realistic. He wouldn't want to be there and no point even considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

We have better players in Ahern and Edogbo anyway. Don't rate McCarthy personally, he's too indisciplined. He might improve, he's still young.

I like Edogbo more as well, but there are definitely young leinster players who would fit in munster.

Also, the entire thread is full of players who might not be happy elsewhere. It’s not really the point of the exercise.

Interesting but actually not super hard for ulster from my POV.

Munster: Sam Carter for Edogbo, or Burns for Crowley

Leinster: Sam Carter for Joe McCarthy

Connacht: this one is tougher… Rea for Prendergast.

I think some munster fans have been burned by some leinster guys who under performed and taken the extreme wrong lesson from it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

typical of some posters to look at a fun thread through their squidgy one eye.

leinster fan here.. id look at this from the point of view of what positions most need improvement and whos teh best option between the 3 provinces, so while Beirne would make any team better, there are more pressing places to improve leinster.

Ulster:- Doak. Leinster could do with a different option at 9. LMCG is on a slow decline and while JGP is away with the test team we could do with a senior level 9 to challenge and over take LMCG

Connacht:- Mack, just cos we find it hard to keep our top wingers fit and uninjured, an he has a good profile from that point of view. His midfield platy making would really suit leinsters style.

Munster:- apart from beirne theres no forward id have at leinster instead of their counter parts. Possibly Kendellan as a replacement for ruddock. But id go for Crowley for the promise he has as sextons long term successor.

• Advertisement

It's interesting to note the Joe McCarthy is already capped internationally!. I don't know how good he will turn out but, he's well regarded. Whether Munster fans like him or not.

Why don't you rate the young crop? That's strange, as there's so many of them in the u20's!

From the perspective of assessing the quality of the young talent at the four provinces, I looked at the below of picking a team from players aged 25 and under across the four provinces. Some really quality teams:

I feel like in Connacht & Munster's case that is a team that could actually take the field for them this season.

Showing the kind of arbitrariness of taking 25 as a cutoff, I also looked at the players aged 26 across the four teams, to see who just misses out:

It's predominantly Leinster, as the bulk of guys from that elite Academy intake in 2016/17 are just turned 26. That intake must go down as Leinster's best ever Academy class (James Ryan, Andrew Porter, Will Connors, Max Deegan, Hugo Keenan, Jimmy O'Brien, Jordan Larmour all in there, alongside the unfortunately retired Conor O'Brien and two elite 7s players in Terry Kennedy and Jack Kelly).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It seems weird that JOB is older than Larmour

the idea that leinster don't have talented young players is gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Connacht fan, realistic though optmistic calls

Leinster : Doris (Connachtman and we desperately need a n°8)

Munster : Carbery, decent chance he'll be barred by Crowley/Healy, and we need a 10 for the next 5 years

Ulster : Addison, fell out of contention, may have 2 years in him to transition softly from Porch/TOH/Fitz to Mullins/O'Connor/Jennings

I think those teams are a good indicator of what I’m seeing. Leinster have tons of young talent but not as good as previous crop and less obviously elite guys.

Those are way more equal teams than they would have been 3 years ago if you did the same exercise.

The thing that i noticed recently is that for the first time in a long time, if i was asked to take the top 5 under 23 from any province… I’d choose munster.

This might mean something or it might not. The next leinster intake could have 3 elite guys.

Whose those 5 players?

From Munster?

Crowley, Casey, Ahern, Edogbo, Hodnett/Kendellan

I personally love hodnett but i realize that kendellan is more highly rated.

23 or under.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

23 and under, I’d go Casey, Crowley, Edogbo, Ahern and one of Hodnett or Kendellen.

That’d be a really strong core in some key positions.

EDIT: snap. Just saw I went for the exact same as ulsteru20s above, even to the extent of one from Hodnett/Kendellen.

Post edited by aloooof on

Advertisement