Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel costs to work

• 29-11-2022 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I started a job in Dublin, an hour away from my home. I cant afford to move to Dublin so ive been getting the bus to work. The bus is very convenient, it stops a short distance from my school and its a direct bus that goes the motorway but its so expensive, even with a leap card, its eating into my wages which are already not great. Its so bad that by the end of the month I would normally have to borrow money from friends and family so that I can get to work. Its going to be reason I leave the job and never take up work in Dublin again. There is a cheaper bus option but it takes 2 and a half hours as it stops everywhere. I couldnt manage 5 hours travelling each day to work + the 40 minutes waiting around all to save money, I find the bus journey draining enough as it is, I know my head would be fried and id be burnt out in no time so the cheaper bus isnt an option.

This has turned into a bit of a rant but just makes me laugh when I see all the news reports about the teaching crisis but the government puts so many barriers up that prevent teachers from working!

Anyway, the point of my thread was to ask if anyone knows of any revenue tax forms or tax back requests I can fill out? Anything at all that will cut my travel costs or put some money back into my pocket!!

Cant believe I went to college for 6 years training just to not be able to afford to get to work 🤦‍♀️

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭gipi

This site may be of help - it's a way of funding public transport costs while getting some tax relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Teapot30

Thanks so much, I looked into this already thinking it would be useful, I might be missing something but from what I could tell, its very limited in the supports that it offers and doesnt include tax savings for buses from my area to Dublin and doesnt include the bus service I use. it also says that the employer has to register it. Cant see HR of the etb I work for registering anything at the request of a staff member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

All the etbs around dublin are registered in this scheme. It's pretty common, moreso in areas near trains. Definitely ask your secretary, they should know. We usually get an email once a year as a reminder of yearly deadlines or that it exist. Email the provider you get the bus with too, lots of places take it but aren't on the list.

Also, if your subjects aren't awful and you don't absolutly love the school now is a good time to be looking for a job somewhere convienient.

Thanks ill look into it! My subjects are awful and my teaching qualification makes me limited in where I can teach 🙃 but im on the search for something more convenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Advertisement

Thank but I dont live in Dublin, I live in a different county and commute to Dublin for work. I can only get a private bus service as bus Eireann only has two buses that go into Dublin, one of them stops in the area of Dublin I work in but it takes 2 and a half hours as it has so many different stops, its not worth getting, the express stops the other side of Dublin so I would have to pay the extra cost and spend more time trying to get another bus from city centre to work. Logistically its not worth it.

I know there are lots of transport supports for people living in Dublin city but I cant seem to find any for outside the city, in particular, buses that go from other nearby counties & towns into Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

many private operators do taxsaver tickets. Taxsaver.ie only shows CIE Group tickets (and Luas addons to same) as it is an Irish Rail website.

Advertisement