Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

It definitely holds up most of the time. I think anyone arguing otherwise is just looking for an argument.

But there are times when it doesn't - a course is short but nonetheless not an easier than average course. Or a course is long and not that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I'd agree about the course ratings. I've played harder courses (ratings wise) than my home course and had better scores. When you take into account that these were unfamiliar courses for me, that shouldn't be happening.

I've learned some things about the course rating system this year through conversations with Golf Ireland that don't fill me with confidence in the system. Firstly, some of these ratings are up to ten years old. Some are even more than that. Secondly (and very strangely imo) the USGA holds the hole by hole ratings for Irish courses - hole by hole ratings are supposed to be used when setting the stroke index for each hole.

So it seems to me that the data from which the course ratings were derived, were actually assessed by the USGA and presumably set by them too. Not exactly what you'd call local knowledge there. I've no reason to doubt this and in fact, this is reinforced by the fact that the course ratings for courses in Ireland were first published on the USGA website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Russman

That's worrying and surprising if true (and I'm not doubting you for a second). I was always under the impression that all our courses were assessed in the year or 18 months up to the introduction of WHS. I remember one of our officers telling me that the course raters had either been up the previous week or were due up the next week, back in 2019, and I just assumed every club would be done similarly.

That's quite likely to be true also. They'd be unlikely to be able to manage to do all the courses in Ireland in three years, let alone every year. I'm waiting almost two years now just to have one set of tees rated. I have an email from them from earlier in the year to say we were on the list of this year, but it never happened. They usually do this between April and September, so I'll be waiting until at least April next year now.

Firstly, great score, that's a bloody good round of golf.

I don't think you should be embarrassed at all. To me, that's the system working basically as designed, leaving aside any gripes about course ratings. You hadn't been playing well and your handicap increased to reflect how you had been playing. Then, for whatever reason, you had an upturn in form and shot a great score and will no doubt get a reduction to reflect that change in form. Which you followed up with another good round and presumably a reduction. I think the problem with any handicapping system is that in golf we never know when a good round is coming so when you beat your handicap its always going to look a bit funny to some, but IMHO its just the nature of the game - the cuts always follow the good performance, whereas some people (not you) think the good performance shouldn't be possible.

Look at how juniors used to come down under CONGU, they'd start the summer at maybe 20 or 24 and could be single figures by the end of it, having won all round them. There was always a lag in handicap catching up with ability. I think WHS has almost put everyone back into that sort of situation, you start playing close to how you feel you "should" be playing and suddenly your handicap is too high til it catches up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Walter Alright

Just wondering if your clubs have cut people after carrying out their annual WHS Handicap Review?

Our has and I was surprised by it. They cut people who actually deserved a cut too. They’ve been building up their handicap since the WHS was introduced while winning prizes in winter time, fourball competition & playing on club team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭slingerz

I can guarantee you that won’t happen in my club

Ours has. Well me and the rest of the hcap committee. 😁

There's lots of data available now. It's hard work, but the reports and data help a lot. I shudder to think how it could have been done before computers and scoring software arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Doing ours at the moment. We were told it had to be in by the 30th of November

• Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah ours has from what I've heard, not just cuts though, people have got shots back also.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not sure about general cuts but a few (anyone who had gone up last year) of the winning PPurcell team got cut a few weeks ago. I think Golf Ireland look at and suggest cuts for winning teams and then it's up to the club to apply them. From what I gather, all suggestions were applied. I'm sure it wouldn't go down well for a club not to apply the suggested cuts.

Seems to have just been a sort of resetting of HCs back to this time last year for those who had went up, so it's not exactly a 'penalty for winning' that some expected. Those in the team who had went down in HC last year weren't touched.

I know one guy who got a letter last week about his cut, so presumably we've done ours.

Are the cuts this year generally larger or smaller than pre WHS, has anyone noticed ? Without being a contrarian on this, I'm not against annual review at all, but with your H/C regenerating itself completely every 20 rounds, I sort of struggle to see the relevance of it anymore. With your handicap basically being a rolling average of how you're playing at a point in time, it seems kinda redundant tbh. At least under CONGU a 2 or 3 shot cut would take years to get back whereas now someone could be back out by May (intentionally or unintentionally - I mean, how many people start off the season playing well in March/April ?).

Or is it just a legacy of the "penalty for winning" that PARlance mentions above ? I've never bought into that tbh if its for singles competitions, if player x didn't win, player y would have etc. Team events and fourballs etc, of course they should be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Seems daft alright and kinda proves that the system is not correct if so many reviews are needed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

Under what circumstances would someone need a revision up? I'd have thought if they've less than 20 scores, then you've too little data to warrant a revision up. Obviously if there's something like an injury that's fair enough, but I wouldn't have thought that would fall under annual review. If have hoped that would be sooner.

And as for revisions down - other than someone gaming the system why would you review them down?

Agreed that reviews are pretty much irrelevant under WHS, at most, it's a very short term adjustment and with that in mind, I'm not sure why clubs are doing them anymore tbh. Why leave yourself open to a challenge, if a cut can be undone in a matter of months anyway.

WHS is a very simple system, I think giving someone a cut is more of less saying that you believe they are abusing that system.

That may have also been the case with CONGU as well, but at least a club could say something like, you just missed out on an exceptional scoring reduction and we feel a cut may be justified.... You had a higher than normal % of rounds in the buffer etc. It was a little more open to interpretation and therefore cuts could be justified more imo.

I think it's dangerous ground for clubs doing it under WHS.

As for giving cuts before the end of November, that makes little sense to me at all as well. It should be done at the end of the non-qualifying season (for most clubs) in February or March. At least then, a club could point to good non counting scores as a rationale for a cut.

Auld lads north of 80 years of age who cant play to the 30 handicap they already have. We do a good few of those up revisions as they aint getting any longer off the tee.

But the point is being made, by your good self a lot in fairness, that the new system is a fair assessment of one’s current ability….. it shouldn’t have to be tweaked

They might not play a lot of competitions though. Still not playing enough counting golf to get a meaningful increase in their handicap. An up revision for them boys will just make the game that bit more enjoyable for them. Not everyone plays a competition every weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Up revisions might be individuals on a cap or appeals due to injury or illness.

Down revisions maybe someone moving too fast for the moving average of WHS.

Several reports available to look at playing patterns, exceptional scores etc. Mostly though WHS looks after itself and not many adjustments needed.

Yeah. There are a few things that aren't caught under WHS. As @PARlance noted above, players in inter-club teams that reach finals are all looked at, there's a form specifically for that cohort sent out by Golf Ireland. Then there's results from competitions that are non-qualifying, like matchplay, some winter NQ comps etc. All of those need to be looked at as well.

You also get a report on players flagged for variations in their scores against HI; either up or down for the year. Mostly there's no issue there, but they do have to be looked at. And you have the improving golfer who's not played a lot of golf - maybe 10-15 counting rounds in the year, so some of their index is calculated from last year. Same the other way.

One other thing to note is that there are sometimes large variances between the individual scores making up a handicap index. A consistent golfer will have these on a bell curve, but others might be deviating a lot. It may not be manipulation, but it bears scrutiny.

• Advertisement

We’ve a lad with 3 x 36pts for 14 holes since winter rules came in and he won’t be touched

• Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

My club takes points off if you win a prize in turkey season. There are no ad backs if you go then consistently shoot 20 points.

It really should be a handicap deduction to be fair and some sort of add back when you shoot brutal scores. My other club in fairness to them, did it this way…… I’m not member there anymore

Nope nothing happens if you shoot the lights out from November to April

We do a mid year review at the end of March and cut those comanchees

We do an internal cut to a max of 1 stroke for each of our two leagues. But any miracle scores are also looked at during the annual handicap review and taken into account when assessing any adjustments. Anything of 40 points or over in NQ is looked at. Enough other factors and the SD is calculated and added to the pile.

To be fair, during winter, we would have quite a lot of qualifying competitions. Depends on the weather. Last year about a third were NQ.

That's really the logical thing to do, wish more clubs applied the same common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Is there clean & place everywhere on your course? From my understanding, in winter golf for handicapping purposes to be acceptable the preferred lies local rule only applies to areas cut to fairway height or less within 6" of the original spot

I am open to correction however.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I think that's the point he's making. It's not qualifying and the same guy came in with 8 better than his handicap 3 times so won't get cut. So he can clean up in non qualifying with no impact to his handicap

You can play qualifying with the alternative of clean and replace (rather than clean and place) in the rough, but it's rarely implemented in practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Competition Committees can implement a system to take points off Competition winners to constrain repeat wins.

Handicaps Committees can make cuts to golfers scoring better than their handicap during non-qualifying. This is effectively cutting on observation. They just need to decide where a reasonable bar height is if scoring is generally higher during non-qualifying.

Advertisement