Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 - Team and Match Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Bale and Ramsey absolute frauds, stealing a living the last number of years for their clubs, Wales would of been better off bringing 2 younger players for the experience than those two passengers who haven't contributed a tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

England are likely to meet France in the QF, I would be surprised if France did not win that easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

That ref in the Iran USA game loves to be the centre of attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wouldn't right off Senegal beating them in the round of 16.

Look maybe he is injured but he wasn't even running during the first half to even half close people down. The absolute minimum you expect is someone to run no matter at what pace it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It was a decent free kick no argument. But it was the goalie corner and it wasn't 'top corner'. Any decent PL goalie will save that.

I don't know what Ward was thinking. He was moving in the other direction just before the kick and wrong footed himself. Only for that he would have had it. Ward is a big drop from Schmeichel for Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Loved Queiros screaming and hopping on the sideline when 9mins injury time was announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I don’t buy that narrative at all. I think the truth is more Bale has been injury prone throughout his career. Played so many games from a young age and was a key player from a young age.

Similar to Michael Owen for England- the way Bale played meant burn out sooner than most, and more likely to get injured.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Ireland 2012 was horrendous. In 2012 for Ireland it was Spain, Italy and Croatia.

Wales had a conservative England that they didn't lay a glove on with USA and Iran. One decent half v USA.

They were shocking and both Bale and Ramsey have disgraced themselves towards the end of their careers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nothing in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

USA are a 45 minute team it seems. The Dutch while not being impressive should dispose of them easily enough.

Both sides absolutely wrecked after the US Iran game

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

If Taremi actually focused on going for the ball there instead of flopping to the ground, he could have possibly gotten something from that ball in.

We also qualified with a team with a few of our legends who were sadly past it by the time the tournament came around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Looks like Duff is wearing an Iran badge.

• Advertisement

Na he sat on his hole and played golf and was flippant enough to laugh and joke about it.

Just cause people like the guy he seems to get off with getting paid to sit on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Well he won Real at leats one CL from the bench. If he wasn’t a good pro he would have sulked like Ronaldo is now. Only last year posters on the Ireland thread were saying - the only difference between Ireland and Wales was ‘world class’ Bale.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Glad the US got through - their teams have always tried to play the right way. They'll make it a more entertaining game against the Dutch than Iran would've. But - the US seem to burn out after 60 mins in every game which they'll not get away with against Holland.

Anything could happen in the England vs Senegal game. That could well be a 0-0 and penalties.

Ward very poor for the 3rd goal.

I think his play is open to critisism but he seems to attract a lot of hate due to him picking up the huge wages Madrid where silly enough to offer him.

He took a loan to spurs and Jose never played him much and I think they blocked a move of his to china at one stage also.

• Advertisement

And the first. He's a poor keeper. If you find yourself 2nd choice behind Wayne Hennessy it should make you reconsider your life choices. Still, he's earning way, way, way more than me per week so I'm sure he's fine with life!

Ronaldo "won" a lot more Champions Leagues for Real than Bale did and a Euros too.

They both acted the bollix with clubs.

Whoever decided on the music for the rte player break thing, deserves a stint in guantanamo

Most players who sit on the bench and take the money get stick. I would say he has a lot more defenders than many similar players despite it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I would agree that Bale hasn't really looked hungry and had not 'burned himself out' for a number of years..

Seemed happy enough to sit on the bench and play golf in Madrid and like @breezy1985 said he was making jokes about it on twitter. This went on for a while...

Then he showed up briefly at Spurs and wasnt doing too much there either. I don't know even weher he went after that. Is he playing MLS now?

He certainly didnt look top form whatsoever physically and his touch was off from the start today. Ramsey looked 'past it' too.

I mean look at this thread lots giving out about him doing that, he was perfectly entitled to that money and do what he did. I'm not sure its worth critisism myself

I was deffo critical of his effort to night but maybe he was carrying an Injury if he came off at half time.

A lot of this has to fall on the Wales manager he left a lot of energy and decent players on the bench. And you can't carry two players with no legs it was up to him to make that call

They also lacked any sort of a game plan even long balls up to Moore with the pace of Johnson and James would have been something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Reports that Ronaldo is looking to claim Rashfords second goal

Is perfectly entitled to take the money but as people are pointing out it's a big factor in why a player of 33 looks completely finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That bloody tune gurgles and grinds around in my head for hours after a match!

It's impossible to say really, we see players play untill they are late thirties at a high level and we see players finished at the top level in there mid 20s.

Is it injures or a lack of hunger some combination of both more likely.

Overall I think Wales were more let down by a manger who wasnt brave enough drop both or smart enough to find another solution then just getting them in the team and hoping they create some magic

• Advertisement

It's so bad like, if the aim is to get me to close the player or silence it to miss the adds well mission accomplished, :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Bale has been injured since he went to the USA,I think he's took part in 5/6 games altogether so he couldn't possibly be fit,funny how he was capable of starting 3 games in 8 days !!!

I would love to see Brazil win it and see Dani Alves get the clean swept of every single major trophy a player can win for club and country and take his total of major titles to 42 and he wasn't just a squad player a long for the ride with club or country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Their achievement was qualifying. Bale, Ramsay and Alen were clearly past their best coming into the tournament. IMO 'disgraced themselves' is harsh and I doubt there's much recriminations in Wales tonight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Correct, he didn't even start in the MLS Cup Final for LAFC, he came on late and scored the winner in injury time. He should have been a sub for Wales too at this WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Wow that's definitely a second string French side for the Tunisia game, Have only heard of about half them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Up until yesterday (at work) I could very easily listen to BBC radio 5 live for live commentary of matches. Yesterday it came up with a message to say due to rights reasons, can no longer listen to it. Tried phone also and same message.

Is it same for everyone else? Any readily available radio commentary online? I could "listen" to rte tv coverage, but its not really ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Watching SSN and listening to Redknapp and Seaman very confident that despite the fact they'll respect Senegal they're much better than them and are already looking past them.

• Advertisement

I'm surprised Tchouameni didn't get a rest as he could probably do with it more than most. It's a talented French side but might be a bit disjointed due to all the changes. I fancy Denmark to beat the Aussies. I'll say a 1-0 Denmark win, and 1-1 in the other game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

France looking like a team put together at short notice, could possibly still win comfortable enough, Denmark will be too cute for Oz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

Zero atmosphere or intensity in the Australia v Denmark game. You'd think they were both out of contention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Maybe it's because we've played them so many times but I never have any interest in watching Denmark at a major tournament. They do absolutely nothing for me. Hope the Aussies go through.

The danes are all over the aussies playing some nice football created some great opportunities with out any great chances, a few times the ball just didnt drop to them in the box, much more likely to score though.

Aussies time wasting from the start pretty much

Danes not so great the last 10 rushing everything and making silly errors,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

Tunisia could sneak through with a win if the other game ends in stalemate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I've watched better games down the park than this Denmark v Australia game. Surprised Denmark have been so poor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Think this has been a dour enough match so far.

I've been surprised with Denmark this tournament, I thought we'd see a lot more from them. They showed a bit of life when they went down 1-0 to France, but that aside, I think they've been pretty poor.

France like a collection of individuals versus a team. Deschamps understandably not happy. Konate probably the only one emerging with any credit from that half.

The Aussies will be raging if they get a point here but go out if Tunisia beat France's second team, while they had to contend with France's first XI instead. Luck of the draw I guess.

• Advertisement
Advertisement