Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bio washing liquid for moss?

Options
  • 22-04-2020 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭

I've used bio washing powder successfully on moss on tarmac.

However, I have a couple thousand sqm to treat.

Has anyone used bio washing liquid diluted in a sprayer to kill off moss?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What type of surface are you spraying? - are you spraying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

What type of surface are you spraying? - are you spraying?

Tarmac.

I would prefer to be able to spray a diluted bio clothes washing liquid rather than sprinkle bio washing powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Give it a go and let me know.
    I've a similar size tarmac to, do.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

Can you use on Grass? whats the mixture?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭bystarlight

Hi,

Did you end up using diluted laundry detergent to kill the moss?

If so, what ratio water to detergent did you use? And was it powder or liquid detergent?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Any update on the ratio of Lidl Formil non bio detergent for killing weeds, going to use the knapsack , many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 paulma

I am looking to use Lidl Formil Bio to kill moss on driveway. I previously used Aldi bio powder very successfully by sprinkling powder on the moss. However, because the spreading was not evenly done there were small patches of moss remaining. I then thought it would be better to spray a liquid bio mix to get a more even kill. I don't know the concentration that would be required so I propose to use the strongest concentration by the following method. I will measure pure water into the knapsack sprayer and spray the drive way with the water. I will then measure the remaining water to calculate how much water was used to wet the drive way. e.g. start with 10 l of water and find I have 4 litres remaining, meaning I have used 6l to wet the drive way. I will then use 5l of water and add the 980 mls of formil bio to give me the c. 6l to completely wet the drive way with the bio solution. I will report back the effect when we get a few dry days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That still just involves a complete guess at the concentration. I've always just winged it and used a strong concentration, which obviously varied every time. It still does the job. The secret is to get the moss well soaked. Strong concentrations worked quicker but they all worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

What would you say is a good starting point?

I honestly don't know, just a good soapy mix. More than the Mrs uses for a wash and in a 5lt sprayer.

• Advertisement

The washing detergent is cheap enough so I'm going to give it a proper go with the knapsack sprayer. I've previously sprinkled it by hand but like others here have said you inevitably end up with spotty over/underdosing.

Give it a really thorough soaking and then some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭youtheman

You can also use sodium hypochlorite (i.e. bleach) to kill moss. Not sure if the overall cost is more or less than detergent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I find milling salt much cheaper and more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

A bit off topic but does anyone have an eco friendly solution for concrete slime?

Thanks Jim, i do that every year through gritted teeth. No easy solution unfortunately.

My budget stretched to Lidl’s best but I’ll have to invest further afield in future.

• Advertisement

Well, I can't say that the bio detergent treatment achieved much in terms of getting rid of the moss. I used up a whole box of the Lidl stuff by desolving 500g of powder in a jug of hot water, then diluting that in a 5l sprayer and soaking the moss. Not sure how much is in a box (5kg?) so probably sprayed out about 50 litre or so of the mix and moss is as healthy as ever. The rest of the place is pretty clean and fresh though I might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cuculainn

I use a rotary spreader to spread the washing powder evenly.. .works pretty well I think

Did it rain on it within a couple of days? Sounds like it was too weak or washed away. I did mine recently and got good results.

No rain, the concentration must have been too low that's why I did it in a controlled fashion so maybe I'll increase it next time but truth be told it's already difficult with 500g per 5 litre as the nozzle is prone to blocking.

Hot water to start with and then I filter it through an old t-shirt in to the sprayer.

Might look into getting a rotary spreader and giving that a shot.

In any Agri store.

I get mine in Coop Superstore, ~6 euro for a 25kg bag, that covers a good area.

I put it on in dry weather and let it sit there for a few days before rain, it works well, Ive most of the moss removed from the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Would it not destroy the tarmac,or is it friendlier than winter road salt

Well my tarmac is old and worn but I haven't noticed any damage from the salt, it looks alot better than it did with the moss on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭boardlady

Can anyone recommend a product to put on the paths after i've powerwashed them? The browny/green coating just seems to come straight back.

Advertisement