Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jacob Rees-Mogg's awful position on abortion.

Options
  • 30-11-2022 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭

This committee debate is worthwhile to see the goalpost shifting from Mogg in real time.

Not once does he consider the rights of the woman.

His constant conflation of the terms, life, potential life, babies, potential persons, people...

This man thinks the morning after pill should be banned because spunk is the same as an actual person

Is potential life the same as life?

Is a potential person the same as a person?

Should the rights of a 'potential person' be granted equivalence with actual life?

These are the questions that serious people consider.

Mogg found a statistic that he can exploit to further a position that taken to it's conclusion results in taking away human rights from actual people in favour of protecting dna

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

oh isn't he some kind of hardcore catholic or something? catholics gonna cath tbf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Disgusting, vile human being. Believes in cruelty, material gain and absolutely nothing else. Even for a Tory, he's disgusting.

The very definition of a parasite.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

How this guy gets to much adoration by the English media is beyond me. His views would have been considered extremely regressive in the 19th century, never mind today.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

His views would have been cited in Parliament (that he wouldn't been capable of being a member of!) as reasons to leave the penal laws in place, I suspect.

He appears to want everything from that era, except for the old suppression of his religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

• Advertisement

The DUP must very confused about finding an ultra right wing, upper class, English Catholic so alluring.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The extensively DUP-voter employer Wrightbus is owned by another

Another shower with rather à la carte views. They must protect their precious Union, just as long as they outright reject a load of its most fundamental and hard won social policies and be more in line with rural Alabama instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They don't give a sh*te about the Union. Not really. It's noise to distract the fireworks-in-bums brigade while they strip the country and flog it to their pals.

Seriously overestimating the DUP's cognitive capacity there.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Another politician in another country that will not legislate in the Republic of Ireland. Seems people have to go to great lengths to find a far right that is not in the republic of Ireland. 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The English have always had a high-degree of tolerance for unsuitable unscruplulous eccentrics - be it an affectation or genuine - running riot at the upper-end of their society.

Lash on a monacle, a tweed suit and go about your business on a penny-farthing, and it doesn't matter if you're setting fire to orphanages; you're running a marketing scam on middle Englanders and they're buying what you're selling. National Trust membership for the Big House visits on Sundays etc etc. As long as you're reflecting back to them a self-image of the sporting idiosyncratic Englishman who's always game, and you're on the road to unaccountability.

Reese Mogg gets the scam better than most people.

There always seems a bang of a old Aristocrat in the wheelchair Saying stuff like "My mind races from the damp!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

What a weird post. Who cares if he's legislating in Ireland. People are discussing his backward views. Nobody was discussing if he's legislating in Ireland or mentioned the far right which you seem to have an agenda in constantly saying doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭steinbock123

How in the name of God does anyone in their right mind vote for him ???

No no random politician right wing not agenda from me.

The DUP must very confused about finding an ultra right wing, upper class, English Catholic so alluring.

7th post 🤪

And some people will go to great lengths to shut down criticism of ideologies they sympathise with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

There have been upper class English Catholics since the Reformation when some nobles refused to change their religion. Its touched on in "Brideshead Revisited".

The Protestant faction, like Thomas and Oliver Cromwell, were in part upwardly mobile "new money" families. Thomas Cromwell's father was a merchant.

I don't know Mogg's lineage except his father was editor of the London Times?

Mogg seems to be linked to big hedge funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Seems they're not going to anymore

UK Polling Report on Twitter: "LATEST SEAT PREDICTION: NORTH EAST SOMERSET LAB GAIN FROM CON @Jacob_Rees_Mogg MAJ: 7.4% https://t.co/HKapkyHVOu https://t.co/kctxBQFl9U" / Twitter

I will do myself an injury laughing when he gets voted out, his oh-so-reasonable patrician bullshit sets my teeth on edge. I am at a loss as to how anyone who meets him refrains from beating him to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭Hoop66

His "upper class"-ness is entirely performative. His maternal grandfather was a lorry driver. Whose daughter was secretary to William Rees-Mogg, then city editor of the Times.

Strange that the monocled, top-hatted Jacob doesn't mention this side of his family tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He is an absolute plonker...leaving little passive aggressive notes on people's desks while they are working from home...when in his office he doesn't even have a fecking laptop.

In fairness he wouldn't have much need for a computer when he was working as minister for Brexit opportunities...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you wrote a character like him in a book your editor would send it back and make you rewrite him as more believeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

English Roman Catholics are the worst.

In saying that I can deal with Mogg, he has some extreme opinions, but I have heard his actual opinion on abortion before, he does support it for protecting the rights of the mother, it just has not been quoted here. He is a Roman Catholic Fundamentalist, on the same lines as any god fearing creep this country has to offer, he would flourish in Ireland as a TD all said.

He is the quintessential Brit, which winds up any bog standard Irish person. When the Roman Catholic church in Ireland were given the full time nod to start spewing their crap in the late 30's, one of the first things they went for was the destabiisation of all things east of the Irish Sea. They were terrified of British Protestantism and owed them one since the reformation. They invented these archetype British hate figures which still exist today.

Suit and tie's and pin stripe suits were symbols of greed and debauchery, capped men in Currachs or reaping fields were symbols of honest nobility. They cranked about the Penal laws and moaned on about Cathedrals they never even built and then homed in on our sexual freedom, for the big kill. They made sex a symbol of hatred and lust which was bad for everyone. They banned it from our shelves and movie theatres, they attempted to chastise it into riducule, it worked for half a century. You even got whipped on the wrist for being left handed.

Mogg is not the worst to be fair, he loves his country, makes his money, has a large family, promotes local business, champions educational reform ( very rationally if you read through the hype ). Above all that he is quite smart and obliterates journalists because he is squeaky clean and knows it, no quick pulls on joints at Uni or extra marital nonsense to flick at him. He loves his wife and family and works hard. When you are like this all the opposition can do is attack your democratic preference, the usual modus operandi here is to find something outrageous or contentious you mentioned in a recent interview and blow it up. Basically enrage the outraged and off you go. Booooom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Be right back

It's amazing that he found someone to have 6 children with!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The guy had a nanny in his 20s. not a nanny for his kids, a nanny for him. the same one he had since he was a kid.

We have to stop demonising people who oppose abortion.

Personally speaking I think abortion is quite an ugly act. I would imagine that very few women gleefully look forward to the day when an abortion takes place. That's because there is something different about aborting a fetus compared to say simply excising a tumour.

If people care about the developing fetus and its potential, that cannot surely be considered an immoral position?

I say that as someone who doesn't believe abortion should be illegal. It's not my decision to make, and nobody should have to force women to act one way or another - it's her choice.

But this extreme demonization of people who care about the developing fetus as somehow evil is a bit twisted and, again, I say that as someone who supports the legalisation of abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 26,386 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Used to have a friend working in admin at Westminster who said there a small few dinosaur MPs hanging round who needed them to print stuff because they couldn't use Google or .gov websites.

Mogg gets the entire minutes of every session printed to supposedly store in his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Apparently he is a catholic but he’s probably the most high Church Anglican Protestant stereotype one could think of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,386 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He is not the quintessential Brit. He is essentially just a Healy Rae cosplaying for a different demographic.

Many British people hate him too so nice try on the gaslighting that it's just a bitter Paddy thing.

If you think he is a quintessential British person you obviously haven't been there.

Advertisement