Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Interesting idea from the new Distilled Bar in Dublin (formerly the Dingle Whiskey Bar attached to Porterhouse Central). That's great value for Jameson 18.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yep, love the idea, and quite clever marketing. People like me who enjoy whiskey but would never buy a three-digit bottle do like a bargain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Yes, I think it's a good idea. They "break even" on the bottle - or maybe a bit more - and you'd assume anyone coming in to avail of the deal might try something else as well while they're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's a tiny measure, though. Not even a bar shot. Most "minis" are 50ml

I think comparing it to a 35ml pub measure of spirits rather than a 50ml mini probably does make more sense.

A lot of the whisky minis I've gotten, particularly of nicer whiskies, tend to be 25ml or 30ml rather than 50ml. All the Master of Malt sets I've had have been 30ml.

Either way, 25ml (or the usually 35ml for that matter) is not a pub drink you'd be nursing for long alright, it's more just a tasting opportunity.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

West Cork with 2 age statements. A 5 year pot still and 7 year single malt. Thought they'd have older single malt especially but 7 is the youngest. Founded 2003 but they moved to new location in 2014 so this is probably all from the new spot

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Smurts

Does anyone drink whiskey from a wooden cup? Thinking of investing in a handmade wooden cup, and like the idea of the whiskey soaking into it over time with my regular tipple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

What’s delivery costs for MoM this weather, haven’t used them since Parcelwizard finished

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭xeresod

Went to do a test run order with them just a few days after getting the email that they ship here again....delivery for 1 bottle was €26.95 and €29.60 for 2 bottles plus they add tax, DHL admin fee and excise duty too

Needless to say I didn't bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Hi all, whats the best peatiest Irish Whiskey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I use the mother in laws house in Derry. £20 a year for Master of Malt prime which includes all delivery.

"Best" is relative but the Dark Silkie and Midnight Silkie are worth looking at as well as the Connemara range.

Well lads I posted in January that I had to give up whiskey for an extended period due to a minor health issue. I've had two sneaky drams since then but I'm glad to say that I am back in action after getting the nod from the doctor recently.

I picked a few random samples off the shelf tonight. A Glendalough Pot Still, Sailors Home 'The Haven' Pot Still and The Bridge Bethlehem Single Cask Release. The clear winner was the Bethlehem Single Cask. Some blurb from Celtic Whiskey website below about it.

The Bridge Bethlehem Single Cask Release - €84

A beautiful single grain release from Lough Ree Distillery. This 11 year old Single Grain Irish Whiskey was first matured in Bourbon casks, then finished for 2 years in a PX Sherry butt, giving delicate but complex dried fruit and nutty flavours and a pleasant sweetness. The Pedro Ximénez (PX) sherry butt used to finish this whiskey was part of a solera system for more than 30 years before we sourced it and is of exceptional quality, giving an intense yet delicate finish to this whiskey. This incredible whiskey picked up Gold Medal at the Irish Whiskey Awards 2021 for best Single Cask Whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Thank you, where can I get it, I love connemara but always thought there was something turfier out there, any thoughts on Connemara 12yo?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cazale, I'm so pleased for you. You clearly have a passion for whiskey. It seemed terribly harsh to have to give up your passion for a reason other than the obvious reason why someone should stop drinking!

I'm also pleased for everyone here to be having your informed, well articulated opinions again.

Sláinte!

Just don't go crazy with your new found freedom 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Good to have you back in flying form Cazale. Looking forward to learning all the time from your insights!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

A friend brought around a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12 which I liked well enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Collected my purchase from The Loop (Airport) today.

1 x Method & Madness Oats & Malt

1 x Tullamore DEW Rouge

2 x Yellow Spot

Now, no more shopping.

Echo what thers others have said re: @Cazale

Always leaves something interesting to read, look forward to reading more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Nice choices!

Did you collect as you returned back from your trip btw?

I've never done that but I believe you can?

I've only ever purchased as I depart Dublin and bring them on board with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

There's a few options depending on where you're going.

If you're going to another EU country, you can buy it online, and arrange to pick it up from Departures and take it with you, or collect it when you get back from a Collections desk after baggage reclaim etc.

If you're going to an Non-EU country, you have to take it out of the country, that's your only option. But it's cheaper. (Duty Free as opposed to Duty Paid)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Great news @Cazale 🙂

I had to give up the drink for almost a year once, due to medication I was on. The nights out and the beer were grand but I really missed my whiskey. You're obviously more of an aficionado than me, so I'm delighted to hear you can get back to it

Good for you, Cazale!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I just wanted to say @Cazale

This man messaged me reaching out having read my post that my mam passed

Offered to send me a sample

I was expecting a sample

Came home from work to a package with several whiskeys including some very expensive stuff

I have to say he is an absolute gentleman

Have really been struggling with the loss of my mother this week and he lifted my spirits

Honestly delighted you are getting back to what you are passionate about

I honestly can't wait to meet you in Monasterevin distillery for those drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

How would you lads and lasses feel about starting a boards.ie whiskey society

Could organise meetups, tastings etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I would second that idea! I'm fairly remote (north-west) so making it to physical meetups might be difficult normally but I certainly support the idea!

Bit of dust in my eye there

Hope you're doing OK DK. And that's very cool of you Cazale. DK, I hope you don't mind that I chuckled at the phrase "lifted my spirits" 🙂

A whiskey society sounds great in theory, but we've just left the big smoke with two young kids so my social activities are currently very rare, as rare as a 2020 Midleton! So, sadly, I doubt I could participate anytime soon

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed your whiskeys Dark Knight. I'll see you there for a dram one day.

To account for geographical limitations etc what about a secret Santa type thing to start off with? You send a sample or two of something interesting to whoever your matched up with and we drink/review them on a certain date before Xmas. I'd gladly organise it if anyone was interested.

Sounds good to me Cazale 🙂

Perhaps even blind tasting? Whoever sent it can reveal what it was at the same time as the recipient gives their take on it?

• Advertisement

I was going to suggest a zoom based tasting which sounds broadly similar. I guess we would have needed to all order the same few samples.

Advertisement