Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse of Referees

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That sounds mental!

Puzzled by him calling all 30 players and asking them to keep their discipline, which they did for they last 10 minutes although there was a red card during the game - was it for a manager or mentor?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Mental? Why ? Well that shows you that he tried his best to regain control and finish the match.

He sent off a player .

The easy thing would be abandon the game due to the conduct of players and 'mentors' (a bit of an irony that they are called that)

1 man on his own trying to control 30 teenagers with hurleys, obviously theres no way he felt he could control them without the players themselves helping him , so to speak.

Obviously he felt asking the management teams to control their players would be of no benefit?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm saying that whole fiasco was mental. The mentors and management presumably are adults and should be able to control theuir players without getting involved in a brawl with one player requireing treatment for a head injury.

In terms of the player sent off, this must have been before he gathered the 30 players around, asked them to behave and finished the last 10 minutes without incident in which case, if the player was sent off before the "meeting" why did the ref talk to 30 players and not 29? Was the carded player allowed back on? Or was the 10 minutes without incident except a carding?

Sorry, thought you meant the ref was mental todo that.

Going by the report the player was sent off before the ref pulled them all in , so maybe the reporter has the "all 30 players in " bit wrong? And it should be 29 players ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Said it in a separate thread I had created, but the recent Media coverage (generally local media) of Harty Cup doesn't help

Players being named, performances being critiqued etc

They're schoolchildren. It's creepy - and the coverage likely adds to needless pressure when the majority just want to play their school sports for fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

so would you apply a similar media reporting ban on all club and intercounty minor/u17/u19 games............?

Based on result game didn’t seem to be much of a Contest so harder to understand how so much ‘needle’ / mental behaviour from ‘mentors’ could have occurred….?

Different at those because it’s accepted when signing up for them. Even at that, you don’t see much media coverage for minor club

The borderline media voyeurism when talking about schools matches is too much imo

Key bit of your post is ‘in my opinion’…..self referencing/basing an opinion on limited if any decent sample size and then extrapolating this as the ordinary man’s majoritybview is an amazingly common ‘folly/trap’ that a lot of people fall into…….!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I don't see how it being his opinion or a generally held opinion matters, he's just saying I'm his opinion it's not healthy to have that level of scrutiny on the schools game. I agree with him, the Harty in particular is completely overblown. It's gone the way of the leinster senior cup in rugby.

BUT! it's worth noting that the LSC doesn't have a problem with disrespect for referees so the level of attention it gets in media is no excuse for growing inability to control people on the field or the sideline. The biggest problems with people abusing refs seem to happen at lower club levels instead of higher levels like inter county, so there doesn't seem to be a correlation between how much media scrutiny there is and how much abuse refs have to put up with. So to me it's not a relevant issue.

Personally I think there's a need for training courses for managers and coaches, especially at underage, to emphasize that promoting respect for officials is one of your main jobs as a mentor, as important as teaching skills of the game. Kids should be taught that responding to refs at all is not done unless you're captain. Then any breaches of that are the responsibility of the mentor himself because fostering respect it's his job.

On the other side of it, you need to require refs to explain their decisions clearly, as in rugby, to the captain or manager, maybe at half time and fill time or whatever. And if the gaa is actually serious about all this, which I don't think they are, they can't keep undermining the refs by overturning decisions on appeal, and lifting bans on lads who have abused refs. If the gaa won't respect their refs it's very rich of them demanding everyone else do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I dont think harty cup coverage is near that of the schools rugby in Leinster or any of other provinces.

There is still extensive issues that arise at senior inter county that are part of the problem and just show the problems with the entire system. There is far too many opportunities to appeal decisions and then appeal again and again. Reduce that and it helps things hugely.

I have no problems when reffing if players ask "ref can i do this etc, am i onside" etc. you need to be able ask referee questions on certain things but not all the time.

Refs do need to explain decisions more but it helps in rugby that most players are far closer to play and even then you mightnt necessarily see what a free/penalty is for.

coaches/mentors should not need to be trained /taught not to abuse officials/opposing players managers…😡 a properly ‘rared’ person should know how to behave irrespective of the situation they are in and in particular when around children/juvenile players……we are in the situation with officials /refs as too many moronic/ret@rded trainers/mentors grew up hearing their own coaches/mentors/parents siblings etc roaring abuse/spitting bile at officials and the cycle inevitably continues……those questioning why this behaviour continues just need to look in the mirror a bit more often…😡😡 and clubs need to grow a pair of b@la and turf out/ban the mouthy yobs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

People shouldn't need to be trained to have manners, but clearly they do need it, so I'm not sure what your point is there. Saying "those questioning why this behaviour continues just need to look in the mirror a bit more often" is weird. Are you saying that if you ask why people are abusing refs, then the abuse of refs is your fault? That's mental.

Too many people ‘mouth off’ during matches in ear shot if their own and other people children and don’t realise the folly of their ways…..they are then the ones who will be shocked and surprised by the various incidents we have all heard about at juvenile games over the past number of weeks…….they fail to realise that they themselves could be part of the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Funny enough you are demonstrating exactly the behaviour that we are calling into question here - "moronic, retarded mentors"....if someone on the sideline was to call a referee those words I can imagine what the reaction would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chg1980

Well if refs / match officials want more respect ect. They will need to start looking at themselves first and how they behave.. A prominent and current intercounty referee from tipperary has been suspended by the tipp county board for abusing and threating another referee at a local club game.. If their own are doing it what hope have the got

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chg1980

Yeah had heard last week about the incident... But heard Sunday of the ban.. You would imagine with the focus on ref abuse at the moment the high profile ones at least would be doing there bit and not abusing there own

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

How does a ref or a steward handle this? A woman swinging a hurl in the stands? I wonder if there was Guarda in attendance.

• Advertisement

No mention of it anywhere in "the media" .....

South Tipperary Under 17 B Football Championship final between Carrick Swan and Cahir abandoned four minutes from full time due to ugly scenes.

Referee Martin Doyle made the decision to call off the game as rows broke out on the pitch and on the sideline.

Was wondering alright why both teams’ last mentions of the match were at half time scores

No ref available for the replay...

Well done to those refs ... Thatll teach em. 👏

Keep postponing it and they'll think twice about spitting at each other before using their fists.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Treble double

I can't for the life of me understand how anyone would become a referee. I was at the Eire Og v Kerins ORahillys game yesterday and the abuse the referee and his assistants got going down the tunnel after the game from Kerins O'Rahillys supporters (now it was only 3 or 4 middle aged loud mouth clowns) was horrible.

O Rahillys won the game, if they had lost you would have had to fear for the reffs safety and there was only a point in the game. The reffs crime was sending off David Moran on 2 yellows, those supporters would be better off questioning an experienced inter county player like Moran for acting foolishly when he was already on a yellow and giving the reff little choice but to send him off.

Re abandonment of under 17 game - Statement by the Cahir club about how their players from the traveler community are treated by the media and by opposition:

Maximum GAA Ban being proposed to go from 96 weeks to 240 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Advertisement