Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Dogs Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I've worked with horses for 20 odd years, and currently work professionally with both dogs and horses

Well then your outside the scope of the majority of people who are out in public with animals and you've only served to prove my original point tbh.

Large animals, including large dogs, can and do be owned safely and are fine in public. Some are owned by idiots.

From what I've seen the majority of dog owners are completely ignorant to the capabilities of the dog they own, as my original point.

Where that's not an issue is when the dog in question isn't as strong as its handler.

And also on a lead, if your dog is off a lead in public it tells me the handler is an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 82,945 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I am always slipping on new liquids I didn't even know a cat could produce.

~

Coincidentally WaPo had this interest piece on a former fighting dog, ill pass the free link along

Just a wholesome blog about a rescue dog who lost his ear in the fights and now he paints. Seemed to fit alongside thread.

It sadly highlights what kind of missed opportunities there were here here, from the owner and the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,070 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Guards have a lot to answer for, dog already attacked a kid, and they let the dog live, that should never be the case. If a pitbull attacks a child it needs destroying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

The case of Diane Whipple - athlete killed by presa canarios - is just so haunting. I love dogs, and would like it to be a case of "the deed, not the breed", but unfortunately I don't think this is true. It's not the dog's fault, and much blame lies with the scummy owners, but there is an innate fierceness bred into them, which comes to the fore when they are agitated/on high alert/in predator mode.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

If a dog chases a sheep it needs destroying, never mind mauling a human.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Blaming the dog and not the owner in this case would be like blaming the technology when a high-powered car is involved in a fatal accident due to careless driving. Yes the potential is there for danger, but it's incumbent on the driver (or dog owner) to exercise caution.

Dog ownership is gone off the charts over the last decade or so, from what I can see. A lot of them are fashion symbols (the damned "fur babies brigade can go to shite). And from experience, you'd generally see more idiotic owners than competent ones, especially ones that think it's perfectly okay for their dog to be off a leash. My own lady (collie x) is on a leash at all times on her walks, and while she is as quiet as a ghost 99% of the time, and would be more likely to lick you than even bark, I have seen her get aggressive to other dogs even when under my control.

However, I have no time for the pitbull breed. Any pitbull owner I know tend to be gurriers.

There are times this place is actually worse than Twitter.

They're all as 'fierce' in that mode, it's the power and jawline and biting performance of these bull/mastiff breeds that is really the problem. It's the same reason you'd never want a panther as a pet, if I anger my cat that's one thing, he can swipe at me, bite my ankles then **** off, a panther could push me over and snap my neck in 2 seconds if it was abruptly ticked off.

Unfortunately there just shouldn't be loose dogs out, but IDK how it is in Ireland any more. Village dog packs in Clare used to not be uncommon, in the US you never come across that in most cases, dog catchers nab that all up or the dog-fighting ringers do. So you don't normally have the issue of dogs roaming around estates/neighborhoods. When there is a biting incident or a fatality it is most often a dog off the leash/running out into public chaotically or it's a domestic incident inside the home involving the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Pitbulls shouldn't exist today end of story. They were bred to take part in bull baiting and other disgusting blood sports, they have no place in a civillised society.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

They do exist though, so quite frankly no, that is not at all the end of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Your original point was that animals that are stronger than their handler should not be out in public. My point is that the strength of the animal has little to do with it. If that horse I was speaking of really wanted to go, 5 men wouldn't have stopped it. So no, I have not proven your original point, which was "who's stronger".

I'd also argue that the majority are not ignorant to their dog, but the messy few can cause big problems, and that's regardless of the size of the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I do wonder why I got a warning.

Why do people need a dog if they just chuck them out on a the street and annoy people? Crap all over the place, nip at my heals when I'm out for a walk. Defend that. These are a yappy mutts.

There's some good dog owners out there, but they're in the extreme minority.

So stop with your pedantic rubbish. I don't know dogs and I don't want to to understand them. You want them, keep them away from other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Gardai don't decide if the dog is to be put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Sorry, might be me but I seem to have missed the part of your response where you backed up your implication that I was condoning what happened in my earlier post.

Maybe you'll be good enough to post it again, thanks ever so much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Half the problem is that pretty much anyone can rock up with a few quid and take home one of these type of dogs, if people had to take an online class three times a week for a month once a year in regards to the proper rearing and training of any breed on the restricted list you'd soon see a lot less of them about the place. Raise the price of the yearly licence for them as well and then you end up with the RIGHT type of people who want to own them.

It won't entirely remove the attacks obviously, but Nidge and the likes who want to act the tough guy walking around with them would think twice if it cuts into their money for some Linden Village or a few yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Should the dog owner not just be charged with the crime of the dog, they are the responsible party. The owner in this case should be charged with savagely assaulting a young boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

People charged with the actions of a dog...christ do people understand the legal system here at all?

It's difficult enough to secure a conviction for an assault somebody actually committed, the idea of charging someone with their dog's actions is laughable in some ways and concerning in others because people are so out of touch with the realities of the legal system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

Which is precisely the problem here. Many owners of vicious dogs keep them because it is difficult (if not impossible beyond a slap on the wrist) to prosecute them for the actions of the dog. Change the law to make owners criminally liable for any injuries that the dog inflicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Dogs should never be classed as family members, they are pets, not family.

All of these scenarios of children getting mauled are because of idiotic people that are far to emotionally attached to a pet. If a dog so much as strips its teeth at a child it should be put down. If, like in this scenario, a dog gets to repeat offend in mauling children then the owner should be put down along with the dog. Humans, especially children, should always come first.

Lets face reality, the owners of these types of dogs are low iq scumbags that think there’s a status attached to owning such breeds and won’t be any loss to society anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,761 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Toi be fair they are hunting & protection dogs & need to be in the hands of experienced owners,

Much like a GS they suffer from being a big imposing looking dog so little scrotes want them but won't give them the time & training they need,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Should be renamed Dangerous Dog Breeders.

We are the puppy farm capital of the EU and have been for decades. People have been screaming about this for years. Wexford and surrounding counties in particular are notorious for it because of Rosslare harbour.

Young dogs bred and kept in horrendous conditions. What do you expect?

"Raising the issue in the Seanad Mr Byrne said that between 2016 and 2021, there were 1,705 attacks on humans by dogs"

But lets just blame pit bulls (again) put a few of them down and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Always the same dribble when something like this happens.

In this case the fault is clearly with the dog owner/ guardian, like it is in most instances. It’s not the breed, though they appeal to specific types of people for various reasons.

I feel sorry for the dogs that have to suffer as a result of stupid humans again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If a dog is effectively used as a weapon either in a fight or just to generally intimidate people, is that not much the same as wielding a knife or a gun?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Hillmanhunter1

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Hillmanhunter1

Every dog will chase sheep given the opportunity and especially if there are other dogs present.

Dogs are descended from wolves which are pack-hunting carnivores. A Maltese terrier will chase sheep if given the chance. That is normal behavior for dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Meirleach

The owners are an issue, but also the breed, not sure why so many people dishonesty argue against that.

In the 15-year period of 2005 through 2019, canines killed 521 Americans. Pit bulls contributed to 66% (346) of these deaths. Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers contributed to 76% of the total recorded deaths. -- https://www.dogsbite.org

So a dog breed that accounts for 7.5% of the dog population in the USA is responsible for 66% of the fatalities. Full ban on importing and breeding of pit bulls and crosses is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

And if it were the damage done would be significantly less.

I don’t like demonising any breeds because I know that any dog can be well trained and well behaved but the “issue” here is terrible people turning their dogs into vicious attack dogs.

There are, far, too many betracksuited “urban legends” dragging these dogs around on a chain because they want to feel tough. They don’t pick up the dog’s crap either.

Ownership of a restricted breed of dog should be illegal in urban, and suburban, areas.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Pitbulls are responsible for a disproportionate number of attacks and deaths. There is fundamental problem with the breed; they are too aggressive. It's not their fault, they were bred to be that way.

The breed needs to be entirely banned going forward.

This is not "genocide" (🙄), it is breeding out undesirable traits which has been done since the earliest days of domestication.

It won't stop dog attacks entirely but it will reduce their number and severity.

Advertisement