Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Whatever.

I`ve lost interest in chasing you down rabbit holes and apples being oranges and oranges being apples depending on which part of the world you happened to be bouncing around of a particular day.

Good to know. Mention that to Eamon Ryan or Pauline O`Reilly should you happen to run into either and let me know their reaction.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

LOL They've been pimping them since 2017 when construction was only supposed to take "5 years".

They'll need £32Bn in firm orders for 16 units that will produce a combined 7.04GW. (the first units will cost £2.2Bn with prices going down after that, they've already had to "increase" the output of something that doesn't exist to keep the cost per MW attractive ) The numbers and timescales will predictably gradually keep increasing.

But first they'll need hundreds of millions for research. So far they've got £280 from private firms and £210 from the guberment.

"Best estimate for the first commercial unit being in revenue service would be by the early 2030s" - that would be the late 2030's by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Their reaction in a couple of years will be 'do you want fries with that?'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

if i were you i'd be angry at ff/fg for ignoring public transport wherever it is you live for the last 100 years, not the greens. ff/fg are the reason so many of you are so car reliant.

Why? I'm no fan of FF/FG, they're just less extreme than GP but they're starting to close the gap on yea. There is nothing wrong in relying on a car especially when PT services under the remit of a GP minister whose "improvements" are proving to be anything but a sheer feck money at it and actually provide little or no benefit at all.

• Advertisement

Ryan might get the start with McDonald`s in Dublin, but I doubt Pat Mc Donagh would give O`Reilly the start for any reason other than her maybe being a decent camogie player. Even then he would probably put her into one of his establishments off a ring road

Sounds like a strong justification for increasing spending on PT to me 🤷‍♂️

Eamonn will be a popular lad around the old BnM spots, he's just sorted out 169 million for the Midlands from the EU Just Transition Fund which will go towards restoration of peatlands, public transport and employment initiatives.

It will be targeted at the region over the coming decade to generate new green jobs, stimulate enterprise, increase sustainable tourism, restore damaged peatlands and alleviate the economic impacts of the transition to climate neutrality.

East Galway, Kildare, Laois, Longford, north Tipperary, Offaly, Roscommon and Westmeath will all benefit from the fund, which aims to address the address employment, economic, social and environmental impacts that come with the move away from peat production and electricity generation from peat.

The plan includes funding for a Centre of Excellence, which will pioneer new research in reducing emissions from organic soils by working with farmers to test new ways of sustainable land management on peat soils. It also includes plans to transform public transport in the region.

The EU JTF Programme will focus on:

• generating employment for former peat communities by investing in the diversification of the local economy. The fund will support productive investments in enterprise, SMEs and community actions
    • supporting the restoration and rehabilitation of degraded peatlands and the regeneration and repurposing of industrial heritage assets
    • providing former peat communities with smart and sustainable mobility options to enable them to benefit directly from the green transition

Minister Ryan said:

"The government is committed to a just transition in the Midlands region, to ensure that no one is left behind as we move away from fossils fuels to a new, carbon-neutral and sustainable future. We are allocating significant, dedicated funding to support workers, companies and communities affected by the closure of the peat-fired power stations and the end of peat harvesting.

"The fund will support a diverse range of innovative projects that will contribute to the economic, social and environmental sustainability of the wider Midlands region. They include new enterprise hubs, supporting local business and community development, research and exploratory studies, tourism and heritage projects, development of greenways, and opportunities for reskilling.

"It will also fund a transformative public transport system, prioritising support towards the electrification of Rural Link services, electrification of commercial bus services and EV destination charging infrastructure, to make the Midlands one of the most attractive places in the country to live and visit."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I have cracked the code. Greens want to run a Hunger Games. It's that simple. Was before me all along. Prof washing machine made me see the light.

Edit was a great vid too.

Did we read the actual report. coming Decade. So all stick with no outcome in the short medium term.

This funding, amounting to nearly €169 million, will come from the EU's Just Transition Fund. It will be targeted at the region over the coming decade to generate new green jobs, stimulate enterprise, increase sustainable tourism, restore damaged peatlands and alleviate the economic impacts of the transition to climate neutrality.

Meanwhile get on the bus that does not exist fit a heat pump you cant afford so on so forth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The Real President Trump

You're absolutely delusional, it will never happen. A inconvenient truth is that any enhancement of pt will require development which is the absolute antithesis of green ideology

That conveniently excludes the cost of back up to make contiguous, grid investment needed and plant lifetime normalisation. There is currently none of the newer fanciful green technologies that's is cheaper or better in any way than nuclear, geothermal or hydro

Here tell me this where do old wind turbine blades go ? And where do old solar panels go ?

So I'm guessing you didn't spot that reply was in reference to the order for 90 new Dart carriages coming in 2026,which are on the heels of 95 due in 2025.

I could also talk about the 1.5 billion over the lifetime of the govt for active travel.

Or the hundreds of new electric buses and bus connects

And so on

Inconvenient truth, nah, inconvenient facts are more my preference

Where is the extra electricity capacity coming from ? More trains running more transformers capacitors needed. You don't run a rail network with to much head room on support for extra trains. That's just a waste of money.

The irony is I did, do and would dearly like enhanced pt, undergrounds, overgrounds and so on.

Dart and bus connects is Dublin

And for the other 99% of the land mass in Ireland, how does everyone get around that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Ya wont get an answer for your last question. Only its magic. Magical fantasy land.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Has anyone any info on how this works?

I keep hearing about renewables being de coupled from gas to give us cheaper bills in theory- but how does this actually work given most people haven’t opted in for smart metering and it would need the grid to be real time managing what percentage of electrons were coming from renewables vs fossil fuels for billing purposes to the end consumer- or am I picking this up wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We have the Greens to thank for pushing this agenda. Forcing a 2:1 spend in favour of public transport has meant huge expenditure on public transport under this government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

That is a very simple understanding of why public transport in Ireland is so bad. Nearly 32 percent of the population live in rural areas and what the greens don't seem to understand is that figure is not going to change , this green wet dream of everyone living in towns and cities is like the majority of their policies pure fantasy. The car is embedded in rural Ireland and no matter who is in government they wouldn't be able to facilitate transport to every village. We have 1.8million people living rurally and that is why we are car reliant. We are amongst the most rural countries in Europe and that ain't going to change so the sooner the greens realise that we are not Germany the better. The car is here to stay unless the greens are going to force 33 percent of the population from rural to urban living. Maybe just maybe some people like living in the countryside and not in a green shithole utopia where we are all on top of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

As if he gives one flute deep down

nothing will change until public opinion changes, institutions will never change on their own accord

100%

their policy’s are detrimental to Irish economy & even if we did 100% everything they want, 100% carbon neutral country (which is complete bollox)

It wouldn’t even be a drop in the ocean

so their carbon taxes & ban on turf are useless.

It’s really fantastic & makes so much sense. He has lots of other video’s that go deeper into it that are well worth watching.

Even if the entire world went “Green” tomorrow, There’s nothing going to bring that carbon out of the atmosphere and into the soil because the land is turning to desert.

Don't be surprised if you drive from your acre lawn in the middle of nowhere to a city and find you have to park outside it and get a bus/tram in.

Or pay an arm and a leg for parking in the city and deal with congestion charges

I'm fine with park and ride. Let's get that commuter rail network built so and let me use it.

Take Cork City/County:

Towns serviced by commuter (or mainline) rail are Midleton, Carrigtwohill, Cobh, Mallow. That's it, I think. Nothing from any southern or western towns, 2 towns and a village in the east, and a single town in North Cork. Mallow (North Cork) is not even the town on the Motorway network. Fermoy and Mitchelstown have nothing. Rail line running to Mitchelstown, through Fermoy, would capture some amount of commuter traffic away from the M8, Dunkettle, and city.

No servicable PT to Ringaskiddy, converted the old railway route to a greenway

And good fecking luck driving to those stations, from other towns/villages. There is no parking. May as well drive to the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

I personally would have absolutely no issue with that as a now rural dweller, ex-Dub.

Park 'n' Ride at the Luas cow is absolutely brilliant and judging by how frantic it can be at times shows many others feel the same. I'd only ever drive into the city out of pure necessity.

I'll be watching the Bus Connects at Liffey Valley with keen interest, too, to see if that could cut some of my car journey out for heading Northside.

Give people good public transport that's accessible and reliable and the vast majority flock to it. The LUAS is a perfect example.

But try and berate me simply for having a car - pull the other one, frankly.

I don't expect public transport options available to me to be to the same availability, accessibility and frequency as somewhere in Dublin so in return I expect government to accept that reality, and not try and punish those who own a car purely out of necessity.

Nor do I accept being punished for rural living - frankly I'm not prepared to play into the insane house prices in Dublin at the moment, for many, the only way to own a home in this country is to live some distance away from where you grew up and have to commute in most cases back to Dublin. If they're going to try and recentralise everything then the current housing shortage in Dublin will look like a mild inconvenience.

If they want to ban cars completely, then start in Dublin - I'd watch with keen interest how that goes down with their local electorate before they start trying to push it on everyone. But then it's easier to discommode a much less populated rural electoral area far away from Dail Eireann than somewhere like Dun Laoghaire.

Two terms in power with FF has definitely rubbed off on the GP - feck more money at something that just isn't working.

Again, I have shown twice on this thread how the already increased spending on bus services is being wasted because people cannot get to employment heavier centres in time to be at their premises - see my own account in the first instance: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119937674/#Comment_119937674

and when T-Monk boasted about said increased spending in the northeast, I've shown how it is of no use to workers in Cavan town: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119937785/#Comment_119937785

To re-iterate what I said -

Most of our county towns, major towns are ~40km apart and spread out. It doesn't take a genius to have busses that get people into these centres for 7.45am and 8.45am and get them out of there at 4.15pm and 5.15pm thereafter.

The proof is in the pudding - I challenge anyone outside of major urban centres to look at TFI busses that are zipping from town to town and village to village. What are the passenger numbers?

I happen to know quite well a gentleman who drives one such service and he rarely has more than five passengers on board running a service that does a 150km round trip between two large towns. Most of them are free travel pass passengers and the rest mostly made up of teenagers.

The company he drives for doesn't care - they're guaranteed their money from TFI. So, no onus on the company to increase numbers or actually run a timetable that caters for demand. The same fookology as Irish Rail.

This is all on Eamon's watch.

Park 'n' Ride at the Luas cow is absolutely brilliant and judging by how frantic it can be at times shows many others feel the same.

Same, I used it shortly after it opened and when I still had the car I never drove into the city ever again after I discovered that

If they want to ban cars completely, then start in Dublin - I'd watch with keen interest how that goes down with their local electorate before they start trying to push it on everyone.

The car has been getting squeezed out of Dublin City for 2 decades and the rate of that squeeze is only increasing. The annual canal cordon report is one of the best pieces of info we have on the impact of various measures. Its a f'kin awesome piece of data that goes back years. Covid killed it for 2 years but this years one is eagerly awaited to see the impact all the PT & AT measures have had

It really is well worth a ready

Squeezed out? They built a huge motorway around the city to stop communting straight through.

People ask for the NRR, in Cork, to remove pass through traffic (freeing up all roads for busses and bikes) and it's like they are trying to murder babies.

• Advertisement

Same in Galway - a northern bypass designed and ready to go, but the GP and their merry band of sheep put the knife in that plan. They are just an anti-car lobby when all is boiled down to the core of what they're about.

Advertisement