Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jacob Rees-Mogg's awful position on abortion.

Options

Comments

The sheer irrational level of abuse that Rees-Mogg is receiving on this thread is testament to how tolerant, loving, and empathetic the left have always claimed to be - and all for a politician that has no impact on their life whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Noone said anything about Ireland. You are just adding pointless waffle and nonsense to the discussion.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm quite happy to keep demonising the likes of rees-mogg for their views on abortion. i think it is only right and proper to do so. their views are abhorrent.

Both extremes are pointing the finger saying how each side is evil and disgusting.

When the reality of abortion is that most people in the middle are uncomfortable with abortion even if they support its legalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

My position is I am fine with abortion up to the point where the foetus- baby- life can feel pain, after that point I oppose it bar a situation where the mother’s life is at risk, no one could tell me if repealing the eighth would chime with the above so I abstained from voting

apparently the above makes me hard right?

• Advertisement

we are discussing rees-mogg. his views on abortion, and women in general i imagine, are abhorrent and belong in the 19th century.

There are some in the pro-abortion camp who believe that even the latest of late abortions, right up to birth, should still be legal.

No matter what way you cut it, that seems to be problematic to say the least. Some might say even more extreme than Rees-Mogg's views.

This goes to show that abortion is more complex than the loud extremists on this thread make out, who want us to believe abortion is an utterly fantastic thing that should be celebrated in all circumstances, and that anyone who disagrees with them are "vile and disgusting".

A nice, simple narrative I guess. Makes it easy to remember.

nobody is pro-abortion. people like you tried that nonsense during the referendum debate and lost badly.

Didn't you read my posts?

I voted in favour of abortion rights.

If the slogan “ my body - my choice “ does cover limitless termination? , then it’s pure ideology rather than anything else and that is really really grim

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The anti-abortion crusaders don't care one whit about the fetus. They only care about pushing their hateful, misoygnistic agenda knowing full well that the unborn will never disagree with them or ask them for anything.

Rees-Mogg embodies everything wrong with 21st century Britain: Slothful, lazy, hateful, avaricious and cruel.

I was here for the debates on the 8th amendment in 2017-8. I know exactly what we're dealing with here. Your gaslighting just confirms this.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

And to think it’s the left who accuse others of using dehumanising language

Do you believe that late-term abortions are justified, though (assuming that there is no factor that endangers the life of the mother, of course)?

Because if you do, then that is indistinguishable from the polar opposite extremism you condemn.

Don't forget, they're the party of empathy and compassion!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

At one point he was thinking of running for Prime Minister, I was far more worried about him getting that role than Boris or any of them, he would have been an extremely dangerous person to have in that role.

He's referred to by his proper title, the Right Honorable Minister for the 19th Century.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Instead of everyone just agreeing that his views are ridiculous, you get some posters trying to deflect and thinking they are not extremely transparent in their support of his views. Pretty boring and predictable. Time to start using the ignore function I guess.

Is there a point here?

I think I agree with Frankie Boyle's assessment of Rees-Mogg; an agglomeration of the nightmares of nineteenth century factory workers given corporeal form who's mother was too posh to dilate.

Nuance is not tedious. A blind, adherent focus to one-sided dogmatism surely is, though.

On the one hand you call for a calm moderate discussion. On the other you throw out deliberately inflammatory terms of pro abortion. You should try practicing what you preach.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Both sidesing while calling for less both sidesing and then throwing in a few hand grenades to inflame one side.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

The Jordan Peterson Strategy. "I condemn extremism from all sides but aren't leftists just the worst".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The truth of it is, no one who has an abortion does it on a whim.

I personally don't like the idea of it after a certain point, but I also realise that in the real world it is a medical necessity to be able to provide this service. I also don't believe that anyone other than the person carrying the foetus should be able to make that decision. Once you go down that road, you are not pro life, you are pro forced birth.

Rees Mogg is an odious individual, who if he didn't exist in reality, would be a perfect caricature of a rich tory. He can be attacked for his beliefs because of his very public airing of them.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that he has no impact on our lives. But he does have an impact, he has it on our sisters in Northern Ireland and our sisters who still have to travel on a boat to England to get the provision of services that they can't get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There is no such thing as "both sidesing".

By definition a debate has more than one side. That's the very nature of political discourse.

By closing yourself in, saying that all the things you just happen to agree with are one-sided, you display a profound bias that you probably did not intend to expose.

For the record, Peterson never said this.

you think both sides are as bad as each other. they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

your in the wrong place mate off to bords.uk with you and dont come back

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

TBH, I find myself in the unusual position of somewhat agreeing with eskimohunt here... while I'm personally 100% pro-choice, I can understand the position of pro-lifers. Each one is a tragedy for the woman going through it and for the loss of the potential future life. Every abortion carried out is an unfortunate necessity, whether due to fatal foetal abnormalities, rape/incest, complications that put the woman's life at risk, a financial or emotional inability to raise a child (or simply the lack of the desire or will to do so). It's why sex education and making contraception freely available is so important.

Jacob Rees Mogg is an indefensible scumbag though. His only true interest is his own enrichment and he'll happily profit from things he's been very vocally morally opposed to and has had no hesitation in using his position in government to destroy the British economy so he can make money short-selling (the disaster capitalism his father literally wrote the book on). If his mother had the benefit of foresight perhaps her decision to abort him before he could cause so much misery could have been the exception that proved the rule of thee being no such thing as a happy abortion.

To me, the fundamentalist hysterical Christian with a 3-foot cross shouting the odds at women in favour of abortion, are no less hysterical than the women in favour of the latest term abortions even when there is no threat to the life of the woman.

you understand people who think women should be forced to give birth to children?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I fundamentally disagree with them but I can understand why they think that, yes.

To someone who truly believes that human life starts at conception, it's completely logical that they'd consider forcing someone to give birth to be the lesser evil than killing a human being.

Advertisement