Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

The only hope of ever fixing the housing disaster is external factors.

The government do not want to fix it. They call semi Ds costing 425k as affordable.

Our only hope is an economic crash which leads to immigrants emigrating to reduce demand.

Some Irish will get burned but every young person renting is getting burned every day as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes I agree, it's very dispiriting. We have young adult children who have a reasonable expectation of working, living, renting and buying etc. And yet they are being squeezed on all sides and not least by competition from the state as it seeks to meet it's social housing and refugee obligations. Using our own taxpayers money against us.

So it's not just these same young people who are increasingly angry at the state of affairs but also their parents. However on the other side, there is little real choice of government - it's FF/FG or SF with some small parties and independents. FF/FG have shown themselves to be inept but SF are equally undesirable. And that is what's dispiriting.

Emigration again for our young people so they can get established elsewhere whilst we allow immigration with little or no controls. Gobshytes run this state.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

No where have I said the banks will not raise interest rates. I've pointed out that the larger banks will absorb the initial rate hikes, which they have done so. Those on this thread who predicted that the larger banks would pass on each and every interest rate rise have been proved wrong.

Take Permanent PTSB for example. ECB have increased interest rates by 2% to date. PTSB have increased their rates by 0.45% in the same timeframe. They have absorbed the rest of the interest rate rises, something which the non-bank lenders have been unable to do. That's a fact.

Thanks for proving my point, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Handbags down ladies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

The state is, at this stage, an engine of globalist agenda staffed by out rightly sinister individuals. It will do nothing to arrest the housing crisis because what we refer to as a crisis is a direct result of its own policies.  

For my own part, I would gladly face personal financial ruin if it meant that this mess could be righted for the sake of my godson and those still to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

He literally says they were offsetting the early increases due to high deposits but later increases would filter through..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Conspiracy theories forum is a few down on the index. This type of post is not suitable here

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moderation is not to be replied to.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭al87987

Just on the qualification point; my dad, my older brother and me all have the same qualification (ACCA) and qualified approx 50, 22 and 10 years ago.

My dad bought a house when he was 25 on one income, had 4 kids and a very comfortable life.

My older brother qualified 22 years ago during the Celtic tiger boom and lives an extremely comfortable life (millionaire).

I qualified 10 years ago (post GFC) and live with my parents and my pregnant wife.

I figured if I could do the same as them, I would live somewhat comfortably, but it's a struggle and daily grind in Ireland for most people under 40.

The game looks the same but the rules have gotten a lot more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

It really is a disaster, this isn't just Ireland either its across all western economies. The wealth divides created by bad policies ie. Low interest rates and constant QE have just created extreme wealth divides and polarisation.

I think we need an absolute destruction of asset prices globally across all western economies inorder to bring things back to a more even reference point. As painful, depressing and miserable as that would be, it may be the only way to salvage the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If only you had never tasted that first succulent avocado.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The qualification might be the same, but maybe your career paths are very different? I know you couldn't just compare 2 software developers for example, the range would be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

My brother and I have the same qualification. He is 2 years younger than I am. He is a shoulder to the wheel kind of person and will go for any promotion going. Im not really interested in trading more life for a promotion. While I do alright, he is earning easily twice as much as I am, because he had the luck, the contacts and the time put in to get where is is. While I have lots of family time now and treasure it, he is all about the job. Same qualification, different attitudes and different paths.

If I did see me earning less than him as a problem, I wouldnt be attemoting to shift the blame to anyone but myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

It sounds like different priorities, which is fine, everyone has to do whatever makes them happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

As others have said you can take different accas and there can be a huge disparity in earning and how their career has gone, and people’s priorities will also be a factor.

You could even take chartered accountants from the same intake at a big 4 and observe the same differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Not a very comfortable life if he has an adult child and a daughteri-in -law and soon a grandchild living with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

Everyone keeps looking at last crash and thinks we are in good shape in comparison now.

They dont understand that each crash is different. This time around, easily available money has pushed up all asset prices. This has to unwind and everything will be hit, including artificial economies.

• Administrators Posts: 53,833 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They dont understand that each crash is different.

This is quite the comment. There have been people making this point for years, but all they ever got in here was a sarcastic, snide and patronising "sure this time it's different" remark from posters like yourself who have been telling us all that an enormous crash is going to happen any day now for the past decade.

Usually from the same people who make the sarcastic jokes about soft landings too.

You are straw manning with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

When has rates last gone up?

You realize we were getting to the point where you were charged negative interest for putting money in the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭byrne249

Galway is the perfect analogy for how stuffed up this country is. If you could leave that would be my advice. There is no infrastructure plan there whatsoever, it's becoming the land that time forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭kaymin

You were a newly qualified accountant when property was literally at the bottom yet you chose not to buy and continued to choose not to buy over the proceeding 10 years - and now presumably living rent free you still can't pull together a deposit - a qualified accountant with 10 years post qualification experience. Time to start looking at yourself rather than blaming the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

One to watch; rentals in Dublin city now passing 500 on Daft, increasing 67% in 4 months! I think this will continue to rise due to a combination of factors but mainly due to demand destruction kicking in (rents simply hitting their ceiling) and the well paid jobs losses in the city resulting in many employees just leaving to go off to the next jobs hub. This has been the approximate trajectory recently;

August - 300

November 14 - 400

November 15 - 434

November 30 - 500

Here's an anecdotal story. My late grandmother's D4 house went on the market in September. A sale was agreed with a buyer for 100k over the asking. The sale fell through in the middle of October, and the house went back up. The agent has told my mom and her siblings that they should accept a current offer that is just 20k above the asking as he doesn't think that it will get anymore.

It's just a personal experience, but houses in my grandmother's area were selling for 150k+ over the asking price in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Meta are still in the consultation period, so expect a few more to come on stream when that's up.

From folk I know working for those tech companies, the feeling very much is to move on elsewhere. The issue is that they are all on hiring freezes so they can't just switch to another MS/Meta/Google like for like. And the type of money you'd be getting in Meta vs a smaller company for the same role is incomparable. In many cases it can be nearly double. Folk moved here for the money and won't stay for a massive pay cut.

Though the types of places coming up for rent when those workers leave will be at the higher end of the market so won't make much difference in reality. There's still a massive skills shortage here but as far as I can see the salaries on offer are not up to much.

Dublin has stuff going for it, but if you're young there are many many places that will offer you a hell of a lot more for your money.

The problem I have with this is it doesn't necessarily mean there is a slow down yet. The guys who bid 150k over asking in 2021 probably set the market price for your GrandMothers place at the 100k+ price? Which would mean prices are still 100k over whatever the asking was in 2021. Correct me if I'm way off there but your numbers are absolutes with no reference points.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'm not an accountant but I am aware of what most people go through to become qualified. Technically, you don't have to do a degree first but most people do in practice. It will generally take at least 4 years of working + exams to be fully qualified. For those 4 years you are not on great money - especially at the start. I'd say that most people doing it have built up some debt by the end of it. I think it's a bit much to be expecting someone newly qualified to be in a position to buy a house. Unless they were in a silly period like mid-2000s when banks would throw a 100% mortgage at them just because.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Anecdotal again, but I had an estate agent phone me out of the blue yesterday trying to tempt me with some houses in Bray - haven't had that happen since I started hunting. I had a nose around afterwards and although I haven't monitoring the Bray market closely, I do get the sense that that's one place where things are slowing - prices look lower than I remember, and multiple houses in the same estates up for sale.

Well an anecdote can never be taken as proof of any sort of general trend. I merely bring it up to highlight personal experience that seems to be in tandem with trends that the market is settling back to where it was in 2019 before the madness started. I don't want to give precise figures because, well, that's private and it's not my house.

• Advertisement

I understand that. It's just very difficult for someone reading to make any conclusion without a reference point. If your asking is the same as 2021 asking prices then a bid of 20k over is a softening of 80k+, which it appears to be what you are suggesting. If your asking is 100k higher than 2021 then the market might only be plateauing, etc..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement