Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outside socket

Options
  • 29-11-2022 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to add a single outside socket at the front of my house, This socket won’t be used very often!

Would it be ok if I wired it up with a 3 pin plug on the end of the cable(glorified extension lead) and plug it in when needed and plug it out when it’s not needed?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Should be ok if u gland the socket properly on the bottom

How are u bringing the lead in because it won't store outside with a plug

Have you no socket on the front wall and just drill straight through

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭newfy

There’s a hole already in the wall from an old tv cable! So I was going to feed 1.5mm flex cable through wall and into back of outdoor socket I want to install! And pop a plug on the end of cable inside to plug in and out when needed…

Sound ok?

It'll work

If you're drilling a hole in the back of the socket

Drill your fixings and then put a thick line of silicon all round the back of socket and fit to wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭monseiur

Don't forget that your outdoor socket must be weatherproof - IP66 rating (I think), you can get them with a built in RCD for extra protection, cost about €28.00

Generally no need for RCD socket if there's one in the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

This is a good one:

https://www.eurosales.ie/products/british-general-2-gang-13a-rcd-switched-socket-ip66-wp22rcd-01.html?name=outdoor+socket+rcd&type=simple

I've had two Schnider ones fail on me - the cover breaks off at the hinge after 3 years and you get the main RCD dropping then when the water fills up the back-box. Ideally the spur RCD should be inside the house to catch that scenario without affecting the main RCD.

Post edited by 10-10-20 on

What do you mean about spur RCD and main breaker ?

Corrected "main breaker" to read "main RCD" above.

So my outside socket has an RCD fitted within the case, but I also have a single RCD protecting the sockets in the house. When my Schnider filled up with water the RCD within the case wasn't able to protect the socket and the main RCD dropped instead, leaving me with no power in the sockets.

My understanding is that if the spur was setup properly it would probably have a DP isolator switch and RCD located indoors on the spur, negating the need for the RCD in the outside socket. This would 'most likely' have caused the RCD on the spur to have tripped before the main RCD, therefore protecting the rest of the house from a power-loss. Am I right there?

If you have a main RCD or rcbo you don't need the spur RCD , it's not recommended to double-up

My understanding was those RCD sockets were for adding sockets where theres no RCD protection on the wiring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭monseiur

As the OP's outdoor socket is for occasional use only would it be a good idea to have a DP isolation switch in the house so in the event of water ingress the whole house would not be affected ?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭Gusser09

1. Identify where you want socket.

2. Drill hole.

3. Run cable through.

4. Wire up outdoor socket.

5. Mount socket.

6. Attach plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Ive done exactly that many times. You need a weather proof outside socket. Just for good measure instead of a normal 3-pin plug on the inside i used a 3-pin plug with an RCD built into it.

I've brought the conversation off-track, but thanks for the clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭newfy

thanks for replies,

Il purchase an outdoor socket and I can get a plug with RCD protection on it in screwfix for about 12 euro so il attach that to the end of the cable for extra safety.

Yes, except many of those RCD plugs don't fit into the sockets at all. Just watch out for that.

Advertisement