Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

Yeah, wouldn't stop outright anyway. On some psychiatrist presciption level stuff now as of the last few weeks. Will see how they work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,192 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But that's probably the least controversial statement in this whole thread.

If Elon musk launches his own smartphone service provider it has a good chance of ending up like ID as launched by PC world.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

That Irish people only support Ukraine because it is trendy they know absolutely nothing about the conflict its history or indeed the country of Ukraine.The very worst of this scum are the ones who think Ukrainian resistance to Russian rule is heroic yet Irish Resistance to British rule is terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

That was tongue in cheek. The other example is the subject of quite a lot of research.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Eh, no.

No one thinks the Irish who fought in the Irish war of Independence were terrorists, but the IRA are terrorist murdering scum who killed innocent people. The 6 counties were negotiated away during discussions to end a war, they are part of Britain. Ukrainians are heroic for fighting against overwhelming odds to retain their freedom, similar to what the Irish did down the centuries against foreign invaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

This one, hard disagree.

I have had 3 sick days in 10 years. Covid took me out, went to A&E.

But yeah, I understand your point. Same with the folks who get the flu jab. They take the next day off because they're sick from it...so they say. Every year without fail. ha

So you'll have no problem with part of Ukraine being negotiated away as part of a settlement to end this war? Any Ukrainians who object to that forcefully will be terrorists then?

One of my greatest fears in life is having a child with a disability.

I'm single and no where near having a kid and don't know what tests can be done, but if they had down syndrome or other similar disabilities I'd want to abort 100%.

Following on from that fear, another fear would be that the partner at the time might say they would abort but then change their mind, forcing me to have a disabled child.

People with disabled children have no lives. I've seen it first hand. Severe autism the same.

The Ukraine war is a great example of how our decisions are chosen for us by those in power. Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014 and there was no crying about it. They hosted the World Cup 4 years later.

• Advertisement

In the absence of outright victory, or in an effort to prevent further bloodshed, warring sides negotiate and the weaker side, with more to lose has to make concessions. Once that is agreed, and the war ends, then yes, further murders may be seen as an act of terrorism. Have I missed something, did the war end today?

No fair enough once you are consistent and are happy that Ukraine can be partitioned to end this war that's fair enough.

How was your decision chosen for you? You could have told Putin to get out of Crimea.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

not always… a number of medical conditions and indeed medications can influence and cause weight gain… many people experiencing thyroid problems gain a lot of weight…

also people with medical conditions that make exercising difficult or challenging due to mobility or other factors tend to gain weight.

Why should I be happy?

War isn’t over, eventually both sides will negotiate, it may be Russia who leaves Crimea if Ukraine gets the upper hand, countries are never happy to concede territory, but they may have to do so to prevent more of their people being slaughtered.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I firmly believe that some of that stingy/thrifty mindset (and old people will often turn off the heating in their homes when they can easily afford it) and the tendency for many older people also to hoard stuff comes from Ireland being desperately poor and very underdeveloped when they were young - and mostly poor themselves.

Growing up in real poverty will shape one's perspective on spending etc. later in life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The Irish language will never be revived and we should drop most of our attempts to impose it in every life.

Most cultural appropriation is fine. Art and culture are a free market of ideas, why can't I get a tattoo of a verse from the Bhagavad Gita if I want to. I draw the line where the culture is being deliberately mocked.

We were right to remove old trams and close rural railway lines. People are very nostalgic about this but 19th Century trams were absolute rubbish by today's standards and emigration and lack of urbanisation meant that nobody was using rural railways.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

But it would still mean they are consuming more calories than they are using ,

Most but i stress not all , use " a medical condition" as an excuse to be lazy ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭pgj2015

LOL The IRA killed innocent people in bombing campaigns in Northern Ireland and the mainland UK, the Ukrainians are just killing Russian soldiers. its in no way comparible and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Ireland beating Italy in France 2016 wasn't a great achievement. Italy were already through and they were playing their second string team in 2nd gear who had already qualified top of the group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

If your post on this thread has more than four likes, it's not really that controversial of an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KissMeArse

I had this one on my mind for a while and been meaning to come on here to say pretty much this also, your post has prompted me to comment. Wife and I had our first child recently and we fully agreed if there were any genetic abnormalities with the child we would terminate it (thankfully all was good). Don't live in Ireland anymore so not sure what's available there but where I am, a NIPT test can be done at 10 weeks to check for any of these abnormalities (Down syndrome and other syndromes, autism can partially be checked but it's a bit debateable). It's the equivalent of a few hundred euro but worth it.

IMO it should be mandatory that any expecting parents have this test done and if it comes back that the child will come out with e.g. Down syndrome, the parents agree to cover the cost of all medical treatment for the child with no support from the state if they choose to go ahead with it. Sounds terrible but there just isn't any quality of life for the child or the hardship the parents will have to go through. Any parents that do willingly go through with it knowing the child will have life a debilitating condition like that are just insane IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KissMeArse

If I was made president of FIFA, I would ban the whole parent/grandparent rule (whereby a football player can be born and raised in Country A but because they've a parent/grandparent from Country B, that enables them to play for Country B). I would bring in three simple rules that makes a player eligible to play for a country - they MUST be born there, they must they MUST have spent a significant part of life there (i.e. up to school boy/girl level) and they MUST speak the language of the country they're representing. No exceptions.

I'm sure it's a hard one for us Irish to take given so many of our soccer heroes from down the years were born/raised in England and Scotland but let's be honest, would any of them have declared being Irish if they a) knew their own country called them up or b) knew there was no hope they'd play at a World Cup/Euros with Ireland?

Before this WC, there was a list going around of about 50 players that were playing for a country but born elsewhere (likely grew up there too). Look at Breel Embolo, a lad born in Yaounde, Cameroon and scored the only goal of the game last week for Switzerland against Cameroon. Sorry but I will never consider him to be "Swiss". Matty Cash, born and reared in England all his life is playing for Poland at this WC (Polish mother), can't speak a word of Polish. Middle eastern countries have been on a drive the last few years to naturalise South Americans that they have shoehorned into their national sides - I could be here all day giving examples.

The most laughable example is the 2010 World Cup where Germany played Ghana. Germany had Jerome Boeteng in their starting eleven while Ghana lined up with his brother Kevin-Prince Boateng. Imagine, two brothers playing for two different countries against each other. International football has been hugely diluted because of this.

If we look at our own team, there are lads like Michael Obafemi who was born in Dublin but moved to London at a young age and was raised there. I would rule him out on the basis that he doesn't meet one of the criteria mentioned above. I mean really, would he actually "feel" Irish? It's a fairly weak connection and I'd have no doubt if England came calling he'd jump at the chance to go with them. Same with Calum Robinson, a lad who was born in Northampton and spent his life there, representing England underage before declaring for Ireland through an Irish mother. I could go on with past and present players.

Someone like Kevin Kilbane is a tough one. Although he doesn't fit the criteria above (born in Preston) both his parents are Irish and he rejected England from underage level wishing instead to represent Ireland. David Connolly another similar example. I believe the parent/grandparent rule was introduced to allow lads like that to represent the country they had most affiliation to but it feels like nowadays it takes the p!ss. Any loose connection is deemed adequate and living in a country for a few years (5 I believe?) is enough to be "naturalised" thus being able to represent that country.

All of this would no doubt mean Ireland having a weaker team due to a smaller pool of players to choose from but it would at least be representative of Ireland. Might sound harsh but I cringe when I hear a lad with a thick English accent being interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

While I understand some of what you are saying and feel that rule has been abused in particular cases like Cash... I live abroad and have done for nearly 15 years. My kids are Irish in every sense of the word. They watch Irish tv shows, sports, read Irish books, study Irish school books that we have sent out. They have an affiliation with the country they currently live in, having been born here, but in all other ways are Irish, in much the same way as Kevin Kilbane probably considers himself Irish. I often pondered that situation, not that its a decision my kids are likely to have to make, but in that event I am sure they would be totally correct to declare themselves Irish.

I cringe at your last sentence too, as if accent has anything to do with it. My kids talk with a hybrid accent, nothing like my own and that makes some people cringe? I think that says more about you than anyone else. Ronnie Whelan has a scouse accent ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Agree with language part, people are fine with forcing schoolkids, not fine with having to do the work themselves and make all sorts of excuses as to why they aren't bothered.

Some lines would never have made money, but the land should have been retained in state ownership and not sold off or allowed to be squatted upon, for future use.

School bullying will never be stopped nor can it be legislated for.

Children can be such little cnuts to each other.

They are also lining up and shooting citizens who collaborated with Russia or who allegedly did and are shooting surrendered Russian prisoners. If and when guerrilla war breaks out in areas of Ukraine that Russia has seized you'll see plenty of car bombs and civilian dead then.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

it should be encouraged but not forced down our throats, our educational system tries to do this, and the results are dreadful, adulthood is stressful enough, and school can be a very traumatic experience for many, so many adults dont want to ever relive it in anyway, so this can put off many trying to learn later in life

Where is the line between encouragement and throat-forcing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

heres some aids to help you engage in the language, as opposed to, you must study this subject, failure to do so may have negative consequences in life, in regards work etc

Advertisement