Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Dogs Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

you have everyone out wanting bullys banned now ridiculous stuff tarring all the dogs with the one brush me brother does have the bully with the kids an never any problems feel bad for the kid but not all dogs do be like that

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Expect a slap on the wrist...

There is a clear issue when it comes to enforcement when it comes to restricted dog breeds in Ireland.

How many have licenses for their dogs?

How many walk on leash and with a muzzle?

How many dogs walking about with mutilated ears despite it not being legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yep. Our laws here and the enforcement of the **** ones we do have are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Spaniels are a breed that can have the inherited Idiopathic Rage Syndrome, which causes uncontrolled and unprovoked aggression. It's a genetic, uncurable condition that causes a fit like state in the dog that then turns on whoever and whatever is around it. When the dog snaps out of it, it doesn't have any idea what just happened.

Labradors actually have a considerably high bite rate, due to how common they are, how woefully unprepared people tend to be for their energy level, and how often people let their children poke and annoy them thinking the dog should put up with it as it's a Lab.

Not surprised to see people. Advocating the traditional Irish response to a problem which is to demand the government collectively punish people by banning something.

How about for a change we try regulating the problem instead require owners of all dogs to undergo training on how to keep and train their dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It doesnt matter how well you train the owner or dog, even the most well treated pitbulls have been involved in attacks on people. The breed is genetically too aggressive and dangerous to be kept as a household pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

Yes Labradors are capable of killing someone. But how about focusing on the breed that is responsible for thirty times more deaths?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2018/09/13/americas-most-dangerous-dog-breeds-infographic/

Spaniels can be very unpredictable. Especially cockers. Never, ever, approach a cocker you don't know, no matter how pretty they look. (I've owned and fostered a few cockers).

Labs are just as likely to bite as other dogs. People somehow have this impression of labs being big harmless puppies. They're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The point of the comment was to propose legislation that would make the owner directly responsible for the actions of their dog. Clearly most agree here that a dog is not a responsible actor but their owner is, therefore it makes sense to make the owners legally responsible for the actions of the dogs under their control. Would this not solve the issue immediately? If your dog assaults someone you are charged with assault, if your dog kills someone , you are charged with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Hillmanhunter1

Cockers may be unpredictable, but they are not (commonly at least) killers.

And Labradors are certainly not just as likely to bite as other dogs - unless the other dogs are also Labradors.

Pit Bull terriers were responsible for 3,997 attacks and 295 deaths in the US in 2021 - that's over 60% of all fatalities.

None of the dog types that might be included under the broad pit-bull heading makes it into the top 50 popular breeds in the US.

Most Popular Dog Breeds of 2021 – American Kennel Club (akc.org)

These facts are well known. The reputation and unpredictability of that breed is well known.

People who own these dogs know (and I suspect enjoy) the fact that they are walking around with the canine equivalent of a loaded shotgun.

• Advertisement

You've clearly never encountered a cocker with rage syndrome. I have, and survived the attack, and have the physical scars to show it. Luckily I wasn't alone with the dog when he attacked and he was pulled off me, but it took two of us to get him under control. Any dog is capable of delivering a fatal bite.

Not all bull breed owners are scumbags. My uncle was a Crufts Best of Breed winner with one of his staffies and later a judge in the category. He certainly wasn't a scumbag.

I would be fully in favour of legislation that ownership of some breeds would require the potential owner applying for a specific license and being vetted for ownership in advance. Such an application would include signing a declaration accepting legal liability for any harm done by the dog to person or property.

But I am not in favour of eradicating any breed completely. Nor have I any time for those who use these threads simply to express their hatred for dogs, in general.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wezz

I don't know if I'm just more aware of them but I am seeing a lot more of these pitbull type dogs around lately. I love dogs and I do believe a dangerous dog is more to do with the owner but these breeds are literally lethal. Personally, I think they should be banned completely. That poor kid is lucky to be alive, as it is he will have to live with the impact of this for the rest of his life.

Just in terms of being attacked, I was always told that if I can get the dog off the ground or control it's head, then they have no tools left. The problem is their speed and reactions are so much faster than ours, you are definitely getting some painful puncture wounds at least. I've also heard the theory of counter intuitively forcing your arm into its mouth causing it to gag but like doing these things for the first time ever in the heat of the moment is a tall ask. The last thing I'd want is that awful thrashing action, tearing your muscle. And as far as children are concerned , they haven't a hope really I imagine.

My dad claims he saw a large traveller attacked by a German shepherd in like the 60s or some something. The guy managed to lift the dog up and choke it to death. Might be just a dream he had lol, he has plenty of embellished stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I would be fully in favour of legislation that ownership of some breeds would require the potential owner applying for a specific license and being vetted for ownership in advance. Such an application would include signing a declaration accepting legal liability for any harm done by the dog to person or property.

But you keep claiming that all breeds are as dangerous (or not) as each other. Why would you be in favour of singling out some breeds for special licencing requirement? They are either more dangerous than other breeds, or they're not.

Such an application would include signing a declaration accepting legal liability for any harm done by the dog to person or property.

And why should only the owners of some breeds be liable for the damage done by their dog? Surely that should be the standard across the board, with no need to sign anything. The dog is the owner's responsibility at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

"Quite shockingly, there is no offence under Irish law regarding a dog attacking a person."

This may be true under criminal law but surely Tort Law would apply in this type of case. The injured party could pursue a civil case for damages.

I had a biology teacher in school that used to tell us in all earnestness that if you got attacked by a shark, you draw a line across its head from eye to eye, and from the tip of its nose to its tail, and at the point where the lines intersect, you simply plunger your finger into a weak point in their skull into their brain, killing the shark instantly.

I'd say sticking your arm down a dog's throat or picking it up in the air mid-maul to choke it ranks up there with that advice in terms of practicality.

Yeah of course they can, we covered that. And there's a possibility of criminal prosecution under the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act too. But that depends wholly on the situation. As mentioned already, there are cases where dogs have attacked children quite severely, and the Gardai and local authority have refused to even investigate, because of the way the laws are written.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I was responding to the assertion in the post I quoted.

But you keep claiming that all breeds are as dangerous (or not) as each other. Why would you be in favour of singling out some breeds for special licencing requirement? They are either more dangerous than other breeds, or they're not

You must be mixing my posts up with someone else, because I never claimed that. I have had only 3 posts on this thread. I said all dogs are capable of delivering a fatal bite, and I believe that is true.

And why should only the owners of some breeds be liable for the damage done by their dog? Surely that should be the standard across the board, with no need to sign anything. The dog is the owner's responsibility at all times.

I wouldn't be opposed to that. I'm surprised it's not actually part of a dog licence already.

Yeah like I'm sure you could train yourself to do it but it would involve fighting with a dog regularly, not very fair on the dog or enjoyable for you. But to ask someone to do something they haven't repeated in a training environment ad nauseum, while in a state of panic or fear, well it's just not going to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

These are animals we are dealing with. Certain breeds of whom are known to be far more likely to attack humans than others.

Look, we regulate plenty of stuff by requiring people to "do training" - driving comes to mind. Doesn't stop people being banned from driving.

In this instance I am not sure how smart it would be to make people think it's okay to own something far more likely to hurt someone else, just becuase they have had "Training".

Banning is a much more straight forward option here.

It's not like they are native wild animals, we breed them selectively, ending a breed is not some crime against nature, in fact it's possibly the opposite. Thats not to advocate culling, just the end of breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yes, any dog can bite and kill. Spaniel rage syndrome is a disease, like epilepsy. It's thought to be damage to a part of the dogs brain. It's not what the dog was bred for.

That's the difference...

Collies - Bred to herd. Strong herding instinct. I've seen puppy collies try to herd everything from ducklings, to other dogs, school children, cars / farm machinery.

Daschunds and Jack Russell's - dig dig dig

Greyhounds / any sighthound - chases moving targets

Rottweilers, GS, Dobermans - bred to be territorial

We know and accept that a dog will follow it's instinct and it's breeding. So what are pitbulls bred for?

Pitbulls - bred to bait bulls, bred to be fighting dogs

The argument is that they will overcome their breeding and instincts and therefore won't attack. But why are pitbull's a special case, different to all other dogs who follows their instincts? That instinct is so strong. It can break through in "good" dogs, with "good" owners. There are 1000's of incidents of it, piles of data and evidence. It's pure delusion to think that pitbulls are not instinctual, but every other dog is. The data and evidence is that isn't the case, and it's not fair to the dog.

I could the question, why would we breed a puppy with those innate fighting instincts, and then kill the dog when it follows those instincts? Why would we deliberately plan to do that?

I would like to see them being neutered and stop the breeding, to phase them out.

You make it sound as if it's a foregone inevitability that every dog of this type of breed is going to eventually attack someone, at some point.

That is simply not true.

Fair enough, you want the breed eradicated, I don't. We'll simply have to agree to disagree on that point because I'm not going to change my mind on that, and you're not going to change yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Hillmanhunter1

Why do we need pit-bulls?

What legitimate purpose do pit-bulls serve that another less aggressive dog could not?

As for eradicating the breed - let's not lose sight of the fact that we created the breed. We created the breed for a purpose that is no longer legal - it's time to let that breed die out. I'm not suggesting euthanizing dogs, just making it illegal to breed them - all pit bulls and pit bull crosses should be sterilized ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I said all dogs are capable of delivering a fatal bite, and I believe that is true.

Your post is a load of whataboutist twaddle

Do chihuahuas deliver many fatal bites? Pugs? Poodles?

For anyone doubting how dangerous pitbulls really are in comparison to other dogs, here is a list of fatal dog attacks in the US for the last 3 years

Look at how many of those attacks were by a pitbull or pitbull mix. It is astounding. Banning those dogs alone would reduce dog attacks and fatal attacks immensely.

This website estimates 20% of US dogs are pits or pit-mixes, which is likely overestimating it. Even so, at 20% of US dogs they are responsible for at least 65% of deaths by dog attack in the US. Massively overrepresented, because they are a dangerous breed.

Perhaps if the dogs are as territorial as people claim they would make a good dog for those looking for home security as long as they are properly controlled inside and outside the house. I don't see the problem of people having a breed of dog to protect their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

No I didn't, you're reading something I didn't say or write.

Could you answer the questions I asked?

Why would you breed a dog with fighting instincts, and then try to train those instincts out? With the intention of killing the dog if it's training doesn't work...

Isn't that unethical?

Pitbulls were bred to attack bulls and bears. Not exactly a task for the meek and mild.

Not all dogs are bred equally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭boetstark

Ah away and get a life. This sh#te talk makes me so mad.

Our beautiful RR of 13 years 10 months passed away last month. The sense of loss and sadness in our family is terrible. Then somebody like you comes on demonising all breeds on the restricted dogs list. I wouldn't swap a bone in our late Cody's body for all of the hand wringing do gooders of this forum.

Advertisement