Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30m-high student accommodation building is ‘too tall’

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I wish I could attach an taisce's initial submission to this post but GCC's planning portal makes it a massive pain to find and extract exact pages of correspondence from a planning application

Big time, I hope at least "the scanning" of all these documents are somehow automated?
    Does make it difficult to find information alright. Would seem to make the process easier if all the documents were digitally uploaded when submissions are been made.

Not sure. I know the county council use a very similar system, even the webpages are identical however you can browse file by file on their system. Way easier to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Question for anyone able to actually read that document. It's very hard on the eyes...will there be much non-residential parking? I know it's a bit taboo but wondering how attractive those retail spaces may or may not be. With the picture, if they have the retail spaces facing back toward the current student accommodation that will mean there will be Scotty's across the road with very little parking as it is already plus I'd guess depending who takes up the spaces the other space already available there where the small shop used to be and that row COULD become prime real-estate.

But if there's no parking, it might only attract businesses purely focused on the student clientele

There was only to be a handful of residential parking spaces. No non-residential spaces. Keep in mind, you have the Dyke Rd car park right behind this development so there's ample, cheap parking at that location, not to mention the retail park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Question for anyone able to actually read that document. It's very hard on the eyes...will there be much non-residential parking? I know it's a bit taboo but wondering how attractive those retail spaces may or may not be. With the picture, if they have the retail spaces facing back toward the current student accommodation that will mean there will be Scotty's across the road with very little parking as it is already plus I'd guess depending who takes up the spaces the other space already available there where the small shop used to be and that row COULD become prime real-estate.

But if there's no parking, it might only attract businesses purely focused on the student clientele

Scotty's across the road? Scotty's is in Dun na Coiribe, this development is opposite Lidl?

This has been appealed to ABP by An Taisce

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/309607.htm

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/appeal-lodged-against-254-bed-headford-road-student-accommodation/?fbclid=IwAR3TKL3Ihjz_RlR1Hxe5HP1686HZK4pogUsoQZi5lEylbEYQepreJkUDsF4

Original planning application, with An taisce's original submission is here - https://geo.galwaycity.ie/ePlan5/AppFileRefDetails/20184/0

I wish I could attach an taisce's initial submission to this post but GCC's planning portal makes it a massive pain to find and extract exact pages of correspondence from a planning application

https://connachttribune.ie/plan-for-student-block-on-headford-road-faces-appeal/

The board is due to issue its decision in July (13/07)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya - with a condition of getting more appropriate bike parking spaces for the residents here thankfully.

Thanks to the Galway Cycling Campaign for getting that in.

This one is not done yet it seems. The developer wants to increase the amount of beds from 223 to 272, and additional 49 beds

The developer is now seeking approval from the city council to amend those plans, with modifications to the second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth floor layouts of the complex.

This would only increase the number of units by one, to 69, but the number of bed spaces within those apartments would be increased to 272 in total.

Approval is also being sought to replace a gym on the second floor with communal spaces, and for amendments to three retail units, while a forth would be converted to offices.

The number of bicycle storage spaces in the student accommodation complex would also be increased from 134 to 157.

Decision from the council is due end of Nov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Any info on student accom monstrosity beside the river?

Looks great. Delighted to see things like that get approved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,100 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thus is a location where that many stories makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The floor plans have been modified to incorporate ‘clusters’ of single rooms grouped around a communal living room/kitchen, with the remainder of the units being single or double bed space units with an internal kitchen and living area.

I had this in student accomodation abroad. Worked great apart from needing to manage the use of the kitched, but ffs, the apartments are built for students (and not for tourists and not for eventual change of use into apartments for young professionals) so this should be standard across the board.

As for too many student beds, I dont think so. Theres 19,000 students in UCG, 4000 of those are foreign students who would struggle to get accomodation in advance, and many 1000s 1st years who also have the same issue AND all this in the face of an accomodation crisis when working people prepared to pay well over a grand a month cant get their own accomodation.

The college has only 1000 beds, for 19000 students. GMIT "has" 680 beds for 12000 students (throuigh some private partnership) . That doesnt seem like oversupply to me.

If as many students are taken out of the accomodation loop as possible, theres more houses and flats for families and working people to rent.

Yup its exactly like Westside - low density retail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,185 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Any sign of this getting started construction?

Advertisement